Will the ending hold up? (Spoilers!)

kemo91

Civilian
Reaction score
I didn't read the GN till 2 years ago, so I don't know how shocking or original the ending (and by that I mean Veidt's plan to kill half of New York in order to build a better world) originally was when it first came out. Nowadays we have plots like that more often than usual. In Batman Begins Ra's Al Ghul wanted Gotham to tear itself apart in order to save it (or something to that effect) and in the first season of Heroes, the main arc was basically the same as Watchmen. Linderman wanted to blow up NYC in order to "heal" the world. What I'm trying to say is, we've seen so many plots like Veidt's nowadays that I don't know if it will have as much of an impact on audiences as it would've if BB and Heroes never used these certain plots. Audiences may leave going "well that was basically like Ra's al Ghul, or Linderman in Heroes! It wasn't a very original idea" or something like that. I don't think it'll have as much of a shock value now that audiences have seen more and more movies or tv shows with the same premise. What do you think? Will it still leave an impression or will audiences be tired of seeing the same "means justify the end" plots?

Damn straight the ending will hold up. Linderman was a blatant copy of Veidt, except not nearly as well written. Give the audience quality and they'll eat it up.

Watchmen is unique not so much in the story itself, but in the way the story is told. That's where the difference lies.

The thing is about your examples are that they "wanted" to heal the world through destruction, but were ultimately defeated by the hero. Veidt succeeded with his plan.

Yeah, the big difference is that Veidt succeeds.

Also, Veidt's plan makes more sense. It's not like Ra's who can easily be written off as crazy, or Linderman who never really explained HOW the bomb would save the world. Veidt's plan is clear, and you almost agree with him. The audience should leave thinking, well... was he right? He did save the world, but at what cost, and will it last?

i dont know if this subject is taboo, but why haven't they ever made a sequel/prequel or spin-off?

Because it is entirely unnecessary and would **** with what is a perfect story,

Also, what really makes the ending isn't just that Veidt succeeds. It's the "I leave it entirely in your hands" scene combined with "The end? Nothing ever ends, Adrian". Those two scenes are going to hit people like a ton of bricks.

I didn't mean it to be insulting, but it's true. All the information that you need is presented in the story. There are literally volumes of history in the book as it is. A prequel by another writer would just screw up the story.

Also, what really makes the ending isn't just that Veidt succeeds. It's the "I leave it entirely in your hands" scene combined with "The end? Nothing ever ends, Adrian". Those two scenes are going to hit people like a ton of bricks.

Exactly.

What if it was by Alan Moore? While I definatley think he shouldn't go out of his way to try to come up with an idea for a sequel, as it would probably feel forced, if an idea did pop into his head for one, and he felt it was worth telling (as opposed to them pumping out a Watchmen sequel to cash in on the hype for the movie) i'd be all for it.

But yeah, Watchmen is best left as is.

I can see a prequel working to a point, maybe something where Nite Owl and Rorschach take down Underboss, but it'd be so much less powerful than what's shown about the characters and their world in WATCHMEN that it would almost be pointless.

I'll be completely blown if the ending is changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"