The Dark Knight Rises "We'll use many of the same characters"....

Infinity9999x

Avenger
Reaction score
"We'll use many of the same characters as we have all along..."

A quote many of you know from the recent article about DKR. It got me thinking about the possibilities of which characters could return for the third movie. Now, odds are, Nolan simply meant we'll be seeing the same general cast that we've gotten the past two movies: Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Gordon, Lucius Fox, possibly a scarecrow cameo or something like that.

However, what if Nolan was actually indicating that the next major villain (or one of the major characters) is someone we've already been introduced to? Odds are this isn't the case, but I figured why not have some fun speculating right?

So, the most probable would be:

1.) Ra's. His death is the easiest to explain away. The man was on a speeding train that was half blown open before it crashed. He could have easily jumped out. Best case scenario, he would have broken both legs and really messed himself up, but it's certainly possible he survived in the Nolan-verse. If Ra's came back it would be safe to assume the big guy would be real p.o'ed at Bruce for ruining his last plan, (and probably having to f-himself up jumping out of a Train) and Ra's could really mess with Bruce's life given how hectic things will be with Batman now an outlaw.

2.) Two-Face. This one is harder to work though. For all intensive purposes, Two-Face is dead as a doornail in the Nolan-verse. It would be tricky to work out a way to have him still be alive and kicking without it seeming contrived. However, it could be possible that Gordon found a way to hide Harvey away, telling the public he's dead. Gordon could be trying to rehabilitate him and, once Harvey's better, bring him back in a similar fashion that Gordon returned from the "dead" in TDK.

3.)Pseudo-Two-Face. This one's a little more complicated, but follow me here. Whoever the new big baddie is in TDKR, they could somehow find out Gordon and Bruce's cover up. And then, to scare both Bats and Gordon, the new villain starts killing people/committing crimes and leaving clues (that only Bats and Gordon would recognize) to indicate that Dent is the one committing the crime. The villain could also have removed Dent's body from his grave, and killed everyone involved in burying the body (coroner, ect. ect) to further the illusion. A nice old fashioned "Looks like the dead guy's back, but he's really not!" Switchero.

4.) Smaller characters get beefed up roles/ Name association. Basically, a character we've seen before like Scarecrow or Zsaz return in a slightly bigger fashion. Or characters associated with characters we're familiar with enter the picture, a la Talia.

What do you guys think?

I think he's referring to the large returning cast, and not past villains.

I swear they already said Two-Face was really dead. but i could be wrong. and yeah he was referring to the cast

That's basically what I think as well. But since we don't have a lot to go off of (and lord knows when we'll finally get told WHO the new villain is) I thought it would be fun to speculate.

Nolan might not agree with you.

if nolan wants to end this trilogy with greatness, he'll learn to let some things go. I can see people already looking at it and going "Seriously, hes back AGAIN"

if nolan wants to end this trilogy with greatness, he'll learn to let some things go. I can see people already looking at it and going "Seriously, hes back AGAIN"

And you think another Scarecrow cameo will steal all the movie's greatness?

LOL.

Honestly, it all depends on if the script calls for the Scarecrow to return, and if he's used in a compelling way.

I admit, I doubt that he'll be brought back as a major player, but who knows?

And really, I doubt that many people would complain. The general audience isn't all that familiar with BB. More so now then before TDK came out, but even now I know quite a few friends who have only seen TDK and never bothered to watch Batman Begins. Some didn't even know about it until I told them after TDK came out. And considering BB was where Scarecrow got the most screen time, I don't think many people would be all that annoyed.

And you think another Scarecrow cameo will steal all the movie's greatness?

LOL.

you'd be suprised how some people (not me) see the smallest things as repetitive nonsense

I agree that Nolan was more than likely just talking about the regulars but it's fun to speculate.

With Riddler out of the equation, now I really wish Harv wasn't dead, he's be perfect to return. However I don't like the idea that Gordon has him in hiding trying to rehab him. It just sounds to contrived because we all know it wouldn't work. So what would happen after that? Two Face just escapes and begins wrecking havoc... TDK just put us in too much of a pickle.

I also like the idea of Ra's returning were it possible in Nolan's world. I wouldn't want him to say he jumped out of the train, just a full on lazarus pit type thing. But that is just unlikely with what Nolan does.

I like your third idea, something Holiday-like.

I swear they already said Two-Face was really dead. but i could be wrong. and yeah he was referring to the cast
That would be obvious, but by nature of it being so obvious makes it all the more curious. No one was speculating that the majority cast wouldn't return, so it goes without an explicit confirmation. I don't think it's much of a stretch to discuss a possibility he was hinting at someone other than the usual suspects.

If Scarecrow's in this one again, I want to see Batman chasing him around on foot while the Benny Hill theme song plays in the background.

If Scarecrow's in this one again, I want to see Batman chasing him around on foot while the Benny Hill theme song plays in the background.

:funny:

In regards to Scarecrow it would be nice if someone were to interview Murphy to see if he lets anything slip.

That would be obvious, but by nature of it being so obvious makes it all the more curious. No one was speculating that the majority cast wouldn't return, so it goes without an explicit confirmation. I don't think it's much of a stretch to discuss a possibility he was hinting at someone other than the usual suspects.

okay this is why some people are thinking Riddler is the villain and Nolan wants to suprise us. some of you guys are overthinking what this will be. its obivous; plain and simple

I agree that Nolan was more than likely just talking about the regulars but it's fun to speculate.

With Riddler out of the equation, now I really wish Harv wasn't dead, he's be perfect to return. However I don't like the idea that Gordon has him in hiding trying to rehab him. It just sounds to contrived because we all know it wouldn't work. So what would happen after that? Two Face just escapes and begins wrecking havoc... TDK just put us in too much of a pickle.

I also like the idea of Ra's returning were it possible in Nolan's world. I wouldn't want him to say he jumped out of the train, just a full on lazarus pit type thing. But that is just unlikely with what Nolan does.

I like your third idea, something Holiday-like.

Well, I doubt Nolan would go full on Lazurus Pit, but going off the established rules of the Nolan-verse, it's perfectly possible that Ras could have jumped out of that train and survived. Nolan's had plenty of completely impossible height-related instances in his movies. In BB we have Batman jumping out of a building (on fire) falling at least thirty feet, landing on a car, and not only surviving but apparently not breaking any bones.

In TDK you have Batman falling at least twenty feet onto a moving van, landing hard enough to smash the roof in, and somehow not blowing out his knees. We also have him grabbing Rachel, falling a distance that looked to be at least 60 feet, landing on car hard enough to smash the roof in, and once again, not only surviving, but not Breaking anything.

Ra's jumping out of the train (and possibly landing on something that would lessen the impact) is certainly within the realms of the Nolan possibilities.

And I was thinking of The Long Halloween/Dark Victory when I thought of the fake Two-Face idea. And we know Nolan likes at least The Long Halloween. It's not too far fetched to think he's read DV too.

Also, I believe if Two-Face were still alive, the character has more then enough potential to be a compelling villain for a movie, but it would take some clever writing. Overall, I think his being alive is the least realistic of all the (unlikely) ideas I've posted.

As for Scarecrow... a cameo sure? Sure, I'm fine with that. But allowing Scarecrow to play a major role would be a massive problem as far as I am concerned.

If Scarecrow is one of the main villains again then the series will feel too "Scarecrow centric" as if he is the main villain of the trilogy and I do not feel that should be the case. Otherwise they should have took Joker's line and give it to Scarecrow "We're destined to do this forever."

Joker should be the villain focus of the series but unfortunately that will not be the case either because he won't be in the sequel. Sad part is, we all know Joker would have returned had Ledger not died(what else is the point of keeping alive your main villain and having him talk about battling Batman forever).

I think it's entirely possible that a villain from the past could reappear. If Hugo Strange plays a big role, then Scarecrow seems like a possibility. If Bane is the main villian, maybe Ra's would have a role to play.

I think posters that say "that won't happen" or "Nolan would never do that" sound both foolish and arrogant. Unless you've been in Nolan's garage with he and Goyer then you really have no clue as to what Nolan has up his sleeve.

I think it's entirely possible that a villain from the past could reappear. If Hugo Strange plays a big role, then Scarecrow seems like a possibility. If Bane is the main villian, maybe Ra's would have a role to play.

I think posters that say "that won't happen" or "Nolan would never do that" sound both foolish and arrogant. Unless you've been in Nolan's garage with he and Goyer then you really have no clue as to what Nolan has up his sleeve.

At this point, I literally would not rule anything out with Nolan. The man has surprised me every time when it comes to Batman.

Now, if I was being honest, I don't really think Nolan was saying the next big villain is going to be someone we've already seen. However, I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

And, like I said, I thought it'd be fun to speculate.

okay this is why some people are thinking Riddler is the villain and Nolan wants to suprise us. some of you guys are overthinking what this will be. its obivous; plain and simple
I assure you it doesn't take much thought processes to make a very simple connection from a very simple statement. The quote either refers to the main cast who we expect to return, or previous cast members who we wouldn't. One sentence that can be interpreted one of two ways. Does that sound so convoluted to you?

No one said it was definite or a likely scenario. Just that the possibility was there. It's not complicated. Give people more credit.

At this point, I literally would not rule anything out with Nolan. The man has surprised me every time when it comes to Batman.

Now, if I was being honest, I don't really think Nolan was saying the next big villain is going to be someone we've already seen. However, I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

And, like I said, I thought it'd be fun to speculate.
Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"