Welling/Smallville influences in the Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

RakuMon

Sidekick
Reaction score
The most obvious would be Birthright, but this is a thread for you guys to post art and/or stories that bear a striking resemblance to the cast & crew of Smallville.

Here's a good one for starters. Originally published in Superman Secret Files & Origins 2004:
3058_2.jpg

http://www.buzzscope.com/reviews/3058/3058_2.jpg
Clearly, the artist was inspired by TW for Clark (red jacket and all!) and Kristen Kreuk for Lana.

Uhmm... I can't see anything but an X....

I think the new Teen Titans comic book (of this month I believe) has an appearence of reference to Lionel Luthor which is too cool.

triplet said:
Uhmm... I can't see anything but an X....

copy and paste and you will see it

Oh, I can see it now.. It even shows up in the forum now too.. it must look for the file in your cache.

It does look like Tom. With the bangs hanging in his eyes and everything...

:D

hmm interesting maybe Smallville wont be as stand alone as some would think

Here's another one.
It's pretty obvious that Ma and Pa are based off of John Schneider and Annette O'Toole:
SupermanBirthrightCVR3.jpg

There is an issue of Superman/Batman in which Superman talks about first encountering kryptonite and he refers to them as "meteor rocks."
I can't think of which issue that is though. I know it's one of the earlier ones. If anyone has a scan, this is the place to post it!

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
I think the new Teen Titans comic book (of this month I believe) has an appearence of reference to Lionel Luthor which is too cool.

From K-Site:
Teen Titans #26 Has A "Lionel Luthor"
Issue #26 of DC's Teen Titans comic book, which hit stores today, featured the first mention of a new "Lionel Luthor" in current comics continuity... and who "Lionel" is may surprise you!

Anyone know who Lionel is in Teen Titans? I haven't been following the series (though I know Connor is a clone of Clark and Lex).

This was the solicit info for the ish:
TEEN TITANS #26

Written by Geoff Johns
Art and cover by Tony Daniel and Marlo Alquiza

Superstar artist Tony Daniel (Spawn, The Tenth) joins the Titans for a special issue dealing with the aftermath of the recent crossover with OUTSIDERS. Feeling empty after recent events, Superboy goes on a soul-searching journey into his past and possible futures with an unlikely guide: Raven.
On sale July 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US
And here's the cover:
TeenTitansCv26.jpg

Here's another one from Birthright.
Clark's hair is definitely Welling-esque:
birth-got-milk.jpg

These are all great examples, Raku! :up:

I'm at work right now so I don't have it in front of me, but there's a shot of a photo of Clark and Lana near the end of the first issue of BR (I think it's the first, if not, it's the second.) IIRC, the text was Martha explaining to Clark that she hadn't seen Lana since he left, or something along those lines. That's worth a scan here. ;)

If you don't know which one I'm talking about, I'll scan it tonight. :)

AgentPat said:
These are all great examples, Raku! :up:

I'm at work right now so I don't have it in front of me, but there's a shot of a photo of Clark and Lana near the end of the first issue of BR (I think it's the first, if not, it's the second.) IIRC, the text was Martha explaining to Clark that she hadn't seen Lana since he left, or something along those lines. That's worth a scan here. ;)

If you don't know which one I'm talking about, I'll scan it tonight. :)
I know which one. But I don't have a scan of it. I'm just trying to pull examples of the net. :D If you could help me out, I'm trying to find an example of that Birthright "prequel" (I think it was a Superman Secret Files, but I'm not sure). You know the one. Where Clark first meets Lex in school and Lex fixes the furnace in the basement. There're a lot of examples there. Especially Lex's "foster father" who bears a striking resemblance to a certain magnificent bastard!

RakuMon said:
I know which one. But I don't have a scan of it. I'm just trying to pull examples of the net. :D If you could help me out, I'm trying to find an example of that Birthright "prequel" (I think it was a Superman Secret Files, but I'm not sure). You know the one. Where Clark first meets Lex in school and Lex fixes the furnace in the basement. There're a lot of examples there. Especially Lex's "foster father" who bears a striking resemblance to a certain magnificent bastard!
Oh sure, I've got 'em all. Just have to dig 'em outta the right box. ;)

I'll see if I can find those two tonight. It'll be my pleasure. :D :D :up:

AgentPat said:
Oh sure, I've got 'em all. Just have to dig 'em outta the right box. ;)

I'll see if I can find those two tonight. It'll be my pleasure. :D :D :up:
Thanks! :up:

Here's another for the archives:
ma_and_pa.jpg

RakuMon said:
That's cool! Do you also know which Loeb/McGuinnes issue of Superman has the panel with three kids who are obviously a nod to Pete, Clark and Chloe?

(Maybe this should continue in the "Welling influence" thread?
Not off the top of my head, but I know there's a lot of that kind of thing in SFAS, though that's more a case of the show imitating the comics, not the other way around.

This isn't a DC Comic (or a even a good one at that!), but former Marvel head Bill Jemas did a series back in 2002 which was essentially a parody of the comic book industry.
This was the cover of the first issue:
marville.jpg

RakuMon said:
This isn't a DC Comic (or a even a good one at that!), but former Marvel head Bill Jemas did a series back in 2002 which was essentially a parody of the comic book industry.
This was the cover of the first issue:
marville.jpg
It's just showing a red x. Can you retry?

You know, that won't open for me...

EDIT: man, that took like 5 minutes to open. weird...

Sorta Clark with an \M/ instead of an \S/ on his chest on the Chandler's field scarecrow frame....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"