WGA, SAG-AFTRA Strike Thread

But I'm crazy for being worried about AI uses :shrug:

I have slightly less problems with it when the family gives its okay...but we are still at 99% of me having a problem with AI.
And also, why would you use the voice of a dead person messed up by AI when there are ton of voice actors, actors etc alive around?
I dont see the positive in this.

The only way I wouldn't find it completely gross and exploitive would be if the person whose voice or likeness is being used, gave permission themselves before they died. But it still wouldn't make it less creepy and totally unnecessary.

I think the vote for yes will go through tonight. As much as some people complain about the AI stuff (and it IS a concern), the benefits of the current deal outweigh the negatives and they'd be fools to throw away the hard-earned healthcare insurance and better pay which they were striking for in the first place.

While I definitely don't think consent from the family estate makes it okay, it's unfortunately still better than some movie studio outright owning the rights to an actor's likeness.

"bUt hIs eStaTe ConSENteD tO It sO iT's OkAy!"

I can already picture some of those defenses popping up.
That's what estates are there for. They're selling the celebrities image, likeness, books, film rights, etc...
Something that said dead celebrity may have never wanted in the first place.

And so ends an absolutely terrible six-month misery.

Obviously, a lot of the issues surrounding the strikes will continue for years, but this might be a good time to shut the thread down, or perhaps retitle it to something more broad now that the main strikes have both been resolved?

Ok, jokes and my previous stupidity aside, I'm just glad they got their residuals and healthcare. Those were VERY important. I'd say remain vigilant on the AI stuff for now. I'm DEFINITELY against it if it's a. sans consent or b. friggn pointless (that Jimmy Stewart one sounds dumb). At worst IMO, it'll flop and be labeled as a failed experiment that the studios will abandon. It's a fad, just like the while NFTs thing was, except the studios think there's far more meat to it than NFTs had. And more importantly, the idea of scripts written by AI has been completely squashed. THAT I was never gonna stand for. Either way, constant vigilance for now.

Next possible strike next year will be the animation communities and as a big animation guy I'm on their side by default. Hopefully that won't be as much of a ****show on the studios' end as this was.

Remember everyone: constant vigilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"