What are the best Punk Rock bands?

The Stooges
The Cramps
The Mummies
The Ramones

I've been looking for Ska Punk bands, can someone send me a list?

I've been looking for Ska Punk bands, can someone send me a list?

The Specials are amazing. If you like Ska you need to listen to The Specials.

Madness are pretty good too.

I love The Ramones, but I'll always have a place in my heart for the New York Dolls.

I really like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, but that's mostly because of their song choices, their gimmick being that they cover showtoons and '50s pop songs.

I've been more into Celtic punk lately, mostly because I grew up on Irish folk music and Celtic Punk is in many ways just Irish Folk music with a faster tempo and modern instruments. Plus, I live in Massachussettes and you can't throw a rock around here without hitting a Celtic Punk band. I just got into a Boston band called The Larkin Brigade:

[YT]dVeXoXk5KKY[/YT]

[YT]N1oLQ55IfPA[/YT]

[YT]bkyCrx4DyMk[/YT]

[YT]Hw8r_bqGnp[/YT]

Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Minor Threat
Bad Brains
Circle Jerks

lets do this right:

The Stooges- TV EYE

The Cramps- TV SET

The Ramones- LIVE ON MUSIKLADEN

The Mummies- WHAT A WAY TO DIE

The Gories- I THINK I'VE HAD IT

The Black Lips- BOOMERANG

Compulsive Gamblers- STOP AND THINK IT OVER

The Damned- NEAT NEAT NEAT

Guitar Wolf- SKY STAR JET

King Khan and BBQ Show- FISH FIGHT

i couldnt find good videos for the oblivians and the 5,6,7,8's.

The Stooges
The Ramones
The Replacements
Television (though more proto-punk if anything)
The Clash
Husker Du
Murphy's Law
New York Dolls

Too many to name.

Gang of Four
Minor Threat
Comeback Kid
Figure Four
The Dictators
The Mutants

i wouldnt consider television proto-punk, since that would mean they existed before punk was established. that would better describe a band like the sonics (who are the best!). television could definitely be considered punk. which might seem weird to some people now a days, but back in the 70's the terms punk and new wave covered a wider variety of sounds than people associate with it today. like when people think punk they dont think of patti smith and elvis costello, but those were totally punk bands back in the day. hell, patti smith got her first record out before the ramones.

i wouldnt consider television proto-punk, since that would mean they existed before punk was established. that would better describe a band like the sonics (who are the best!). television could definitely be considered punk. which might seem weird to some people now a days, but back in the 70's the terms punk and new wave covered a wider variety of sounds than people associate with it today. like when people think punk they dont think of patti smith and elvis costello, but those were totally punk bands back in the day. hell, patti smith got her first record out before the ramones.

I've seen them listed as proto-punk on various sites though.

thats weird. and i would consider that....well....wrong. either way, however you wanna classify them....great band.

thats weird. and i would consider that....well....wrong. either way, however you wanna classify them....great band.

Allmusic.com knows their stuff so I'm going to have to take their word over yours. :woot: and yes, great band.

Allmusic.com knows their stuff so I'm going to have to take their word over yours. :woot: and yes, great band.

sometimes allmusic knows their stuff. its a solid guide, i use it all the time. but like imdb, it has its flaws. but whatever, its not important i guess. i hate it when people get all worked up over genre labels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"