What are the best Spider-Man adaptations in media?

That sounds like rather generic soundtrack music. The Elfman theme is more distinctive and memorable than that. Most of the cartoons are more memorable than that. Even the 70s TV show is more memorable than that.

Each to their own.

To me:
Into the Spider-Verse OST > Spider-Man PS4 OST > Raimi trilogy OST. I do like all three though.

Homecoming is hands down my favorite, and it's grown on me even more as time has gone on.

You really prefer the one where he's a rookie Iron Man sidekick?

Last edited:
If I'm recommending Spiderman media to someone who wants to get into the character and the myths than I'd point to

Spiderman 1 and 2
Spiderman Homecoming
Into the Spiderverse
Spiderman Animated Series 90s
Amazing Spiderman 2 ala carte- I.e. just the Peter and Gwen stuff without the other nonsense
Spectacular Spiderman
Spiderman 60s show
Spiderman 70s Live action show

None of them are perfect, and they all have flaws to one degree or another, but if I'm recommending a Canon of tv and film work that relates to the stories and "legends" of Peter Parker, these would be the ones I would recommend.

Eh, each to their own. To me:
Into the Spider-Verse OST > Spider-Man PS4 OST > Elfman theme. I do like all three though.

You really prefer the one where he's a rookie Iron Man sidekick?
He really wasn't a sidekick at all. And I dig Iron Man so I'm glad he was in it.

He really wasn't a sidekick at all. And I dig Iron Man so I'm glad he was in it.

If he's not a sidekick, then he's pretty close. He certainly isn't treated as a standalone hero the way Tony/Cap/Thor/Hulk/T'Challa/Strange/Carol were in their first films.
  • Homecoming is the only MCU solo film where they brought in a hero from another MCU series to act as a mentor.
  • It's also the only MCU film where the hero never wins a fight without help. Instead, Peter frequently needs rescuing (Iron Man swoops in to save him twice, Ned saves him from Shocker)
  • Peter spends most of the film with "prove myself to Tony so I can join the Avengers" as his main motive (growing out of this is a big part of his character arc).
  • Peter relies heavily on the Stark suit Tony built for him (the AI tells him what to do at the Washington monument, the parachute saves his life) and he convinces himself "I'm nothing without this suit" (again, growing out of this is part of his arc)
Meanwhile traditional Spidey character traits (spider-sense, the great power/responsibility motive) never get a mention and Peter is portrayed as such a rookie that he struggles to get over his fear of heights and can't keep his identity a secret.

Last edited:
I can't speak for Into the Spider-Verse yet, and I still do enjoy the 1994 animated series. However, for a Spider-Man adaptation that, for my money, perfectly encapsulates Peter Parker and Spider-Man and his many, many struggles, it's Spectacular Spider-Man by a mile. Still sad that it only got two seasons, but those were two fantastic seasons.

Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland- they're all fine actors who have done different things with the character, but I feel each of them brought something that the other two lacked and vice versa. Spectacular, by comparison, got it all right. It's not fair to compare a series to a movie, I'm aware, but talking best adaptations, I still go with Spectacular.

If he's not a sidekick, then he's pretty close. He certainly isn't treated as a standalone hero the way Tony/Cap/Thor/Hulk/T'Challa/Strange/Carol were in their first films.
  • Homecoming is the only MCU solo film where they brought in a hero from another MCU series to act as a mentor.
  • It's also the only MCU film where the hero never wins a fight without help. Instead, Peter frequently needs rescuing (Iron Man swoops in to save him twice, Ned saves him from Shocker)
  • Peter spends most of the film with "prove myself to Tony so I can join the Avengers" as his main motive (growing out of this is a big part of his character arc).
  • Peter relies heavily on the Stark suit Tony built for him (the AI tells him what to do at the Washington monument, the parachute saves his life) and he convinces himself "I'm nothing without this suit" (again, growing out of this is part of his arc)
Meanwhile traditional Spidey character traits (spider-sense, the great power/responsibility motive) never get a mention and Peter is portrayed as such a rookie that he struggles to get over his fear of heights and can't keep his identity a secret.

Also Aunt May didn’t make wheat cakes. Don’t forget that.

Well ,I agree with you in the sense that he isn't the Spiderman' who's basically learning this stuff on his own and a more complete hero skill-wise as we've seen in the Maguire and Gafield versions.

On the other hand, I was fine with how they handled it since , imo, it makes sense for this version of Spiderman/Peter Parker in this version of the Marvel Universe.

Had it been Maguire or Garfield's Peter's ,then it'd be alot harder for me to buy. But for Holland's Peter , in the context of the MCU,, it makes sense . Holland's Peter is portrayed as like a 14 or 15 year old growing up in a world of gods, aliens, beings etc, looking up to Cap, Iron Man, Thor etc. To me, it makes sense that he would be the green, kid brother type character who wants to hang with the older kids, and who really isn't ready to take on the type of responsibilities that Cap and Ironman do. As a consequence he would screw up, want to be an Avenger, and want to be treated like an adult while seeing the world the way a kid would.

Maguire and Garfield played teens, but they really were grown young men and were basically written as such. They were basically the fully formed Spiderman, while I think the goal of Feige was to show how Peter becomes the Spiderman that we know. We're seeing the growing pains slowly to be sure, while in the other films ,they were brief montages or scenes in the origin films.

At the same time, this Peter isn't a loner like Maguire or Garfield, and he lives in a social media age in which the idea of kids keeping secrets today without drawing suspicion from their peers is a bit harder to believe. At the same time , The MCU hasn't been super big on the idea of secret identities in general.

Now, I will say it was always part of the Disney and Sony deal that one of the MCU characters would appear in a Sony produced Spiderman film , hence why Iron Man was there in SMHC . So that's gonna happen no matter what, which is why Fury is in FFH ,and they'll probably be another MCU hero in 3.

Now whether Marvel should have approached Spiderman this way I guess depends on whether someone like's the end results. I did, though I can see why there are Spiderman fans who don't like how its been done.

Well, the situation was different. By the time Homecoming came out there had already been 5 solo Spidey movies, as opposed to none for Thor/IM/Cap. The whole idea of bringing him into the MCU was so we could see the new hook of him interacting with other heroes.

Homecoming is an awful Spider-Man film when held up against the actual characteristics of the character as per source material.

Spider-Man PS4

FILMS

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Into the Spider-Verse

ANIMATION

Spider-Man: The Animated Series
The Spectacular Spider-Man

GAMES

Spider-Man PS1/Dreamcast
Spider-Man 2 PS2
Spider-Man PS4

FILMS
Raimi trilogy

Animation
Spectacular Spider-Man
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

Games
Ultimate Spider-Man

Spider-Man
1. 60s series
2. 90s Spider-Man the Animated Series
3. Raimi Trilogy (2002-2007)
4. Spectacular Spider-Man
5. MCU Spider-Man debut in Civil War and Spider-Man Homecoming
6. Marvel's Spider-Man PS4
7. Spider-Man into the spider verse

This isn't the easiest question to answer. If we're talking about the most accurate adaptation of the Ditko & Lee concept, Raimi's Spider-man 1 and Spider-man 2 are in a class by themselves. If a person were to read the first decade or so of Spider-man comics, then see Raimi's first two films, he or she would see a clear respect for the source material.

That being said, I like the MCU version of Spider-man better simply because he gets to interact with other heroes, he gets to oppose villains who aren't in his specific rogues' gallery, and he has the advantage of numerous plot devices that Raimi's Spidey didn't have.

As for animation, almost every Spider-man series is fun in it's own way. They're all flawed, but they're still enjoyable. I still think the TAS '94 is the best of the bunch despite its somewhat clunky animation and prohibition against certain types of violence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"