What Are The Nine Realms Exactly?

Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
I still don't understand this. In the movies, I honestly seems like Jotunheim, Midgard, Asgard, and Svartalfheim are merely planets. Out of all the planets of the universe, what is special about these planets?

It's supposed to be different 'worlds' in one sense and literal worlds in another. They're different planets and dimensions on the World Tree all accessible through various means. They are connected through magic with various portals or pathways through the worlds and while you can travel through them to different worlds as far as I know it's not a matter of distance since they aren't in the same dimension as Midgard/Earth.

For example to get to Asgard you needed to use the Bifrost, a magic portal or other means and you couldn't just travel in a straight line in space to get to it. Same thing with the other realms to each other and us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asgard_%28comics%29

So basically, all of the nine realms are planets that exist on an entirely different plane of existence? For example, if Thor died, he would go to Hel. Hel would technically be a floating ball in space. However, the Guardians or the Silver Surfer couldn't just fly there. That sound about right?

...but if that is so, why are the other 8 realms different from Earth? Storytelling purposes?

I see it as each of the nine realms has its own space and time, like the space the Guardians of the Galaxy live in is midgards space not Asgards or any of the other realms space

I always assumed that they were just a solar system, but then remembered that Earth/Midgard is one of the realms and the Nine Realms definitely isn't an amalgation of our solar system, so I have no idea.

So basically, all of the nine realms are planets that exist on an entirely different plane of existence? For example, if Thor died, he would go to Hel. Hel would technically be a floating ball in space. However, the Guardians or the Silver Surfer couldn't just fly there. That sound about right?

...but if that is so, why are the other 8 realms different from Earth? Storytelling purposes?

The other realms are distinct worlds/alternate dimensions that are interconnected into each other but separate from each other due to dimensional variances. They exist side by side and all around each other and they all have various connections with their own peoples, heroes, legends, cultures but they're distinct from each other due to those variances which permit travel on occasion but mostly exist unto themselves.

The different realms have different purposes and then there's the two others for the Honored dead (Valhalla) and the Dishonored dead (Niffleheim). Hel is for everyone else but it's included in the main 9 realms. Different species live in different realms and just do their own thing. There's the dwarves, frost giants, dark elves, light elves, ect.

Basically, think of the DC multiverse where they said that each universe was separated from each other by its unique vibrations. They could occasionally cross over but only at certain points or with certain methods (magic, technology, ect.). It's a similar idea.

So you're saying that Asgard is to Midgard as Superman is to Superboy Prime? Basically, different planes of existence?

Pretty much. It's interconnected on the world tree but separate from each other almost every other way.

Midgard is only considered a realm because of the Asgardians relationship with Earth.

Midgard, the world of humanity
Asgard, the world of the Aesir tribe of gods and goddesses
Vanaheim, the world of the Vanir tribe of gods and goddesses
Jotunheim, the world of the giants
Niflheim, the primordial world of ice
Muspelheim, the primordial world of fire
Alfheim, the world of the elves
Svartalfheim, the world of the dwarves
Hel, the world of the eponymous goddess Hel and the dead

http://norse-mythology.org/cosmology/the-nine-worlds/

It's so confusing lol. Like there's a world of ice and a world of giants. But there are frost giants.

It's confusing in the movies because the movies treat the Nine Realms as just planets and the gods as just aliens. In the comics, they're called "realms" for a reason--they're not planets. They're landmasses of varying shapes and sizes suspended in magical, otherworldly dimensions. They're different from other worlds because they're all bound to Earth, since the gods are literal gods, born of a supernatural energy field that all life-sustaining planets have and molded initially by mankind's beliefs. Earth is the center of the whole system because of that (hence "MIDgard").

The comics actually vary on whether the Nine Realms are accessible through normal space. In the early days, like before the '70s or so, aliens flying around in space stumbled on Asgard a few times--most notably the Rigellians. After that, though, when various writers tried to organize the gods and their realms into some kind of workable overarching system, they established that the Nine Realms--along with all the other divine realms, like Olympus--are physical places but they exist in separate dimensions. Magical doorways connect these divine realms with Earth and everything else, but the knowledge of where these doorways are is largely secret (aside from the obvious ones like Asgard's rainbow bridge and such). Thor actually once stumbled, totally by accident, into Olympus via a magic portal, which led to all kinds of hijinks.

Also of note is the fact that Hel, which rests in the larger realm of Muspelheim, has its own set of connections to other afterlife dimensions because the Marvel afterlife is a big, crazy web of confusion. So Hela could come and go on her own to Mephisto's hell, Pluto's Tartarus, etc. She could also sometimes go to Valhalla, and other times Valhalla was portrayed as part of Hel rather than Asgard proper. That's a whole other can of worms.

Maestor Corp has spoke.

The realms are:

Asgard
Midgard
Jotenheim
Endorheim
Sesame Streetgard
Springfield
Ozheim, Home of the Lollipop Guild
Topless Bargard
and forums.superherohype.comheim

The 9 (10) Realms are:

Alfheim Home of the Light Elves
Asgard Home of the Asgardians
Hel Realm of the dead
Jotunheim Home of the Frost Giants
Midgard Earth
Muspelheim Home of Demons
Nidavellir Home of Dwarves
Svartalfheim Home of Dark Elves
Vanaheim Home of the sister race to Asgardians, the Vanir
Heven Home of Angels-retconned into existence

Is that part of Thor now or is that just due to Angela showing up?

I ask because they have somewhere like a million different versions of Hell and Heaven and other afterlifes in the MU so a new version of Heaven isn't anything new. If it's just part of Angelas backstory I'm pretty sure it's not a new realm and the original 9 still stand.

It's confusing in the movies because the movies treat the Nine Realms as just planets and the gods as just aliens. In the comics, they're called "realms" for a reason--they're not planets. They're landmasses of varying shapes and sizes suspended in magical, otherworldly dimensions. They're different from other worlds because they're all bound to Earth, since the gods are literal gods, born of a supernatural energy field that all life-sustaining planets have and molded initially by mankind's beliefs. Earth is the center of the whole system because of that (hence "MIDgard").

The comics actually vary on whether the Nine Realms are accessible through normal space. In the early days, like before the '70s or so, aliens flying around in space stumbled on Asgard a few times--most notably the Rigellians. After that, though, when various writers tried to organize the gods and their realms into some kind of workable overarching system, they established that the Nine Realms--along with all the other divine realms, like Olympus--are physical places but they exist in separate dimensions. Magical doorways connect these divine realms with Earth and everything else, but the knowledge of where these doorways are is largely secret (aside from the obvious ones like Asgard's rainbow bridge and such). Thor actually once stumbled, totally by accident, into Olympus via a magic portal, which led to all kinds of hijinks.

Also of note is the fact that Hel, which rests in the larger realm of Muspelheim, has its own set of connections to other afterlife dimensions because the Marvel afterlife is a big, crazy web of confusion. So Hela could come and go on her own to Mephisto's hell, Pluto's Tartarus, etc. She could also sometimes go to Valhalla, and other times Valhalla was portrayed as part of Hel rather than Asgard proper. That's a whole other can of worms.

Pluto? Pluto? Corp, we need to stage an intervention ASAP. You use Roman names? :argh:

I ask because they have somewhere like a million different versions of Hell and Heaven and other afterlifes in the MU so a new version of Heaven isn't anything new. If it's just part of Angelas backstory I'm pretty sure it's not a new realm and the original 9 still stand.

I believe its being retconned into Asgardian lore as a way to explain Angela existence in the Marvel U.
The retcon is that originally there were 10 realms with Heven--not to be confused with Heaven--as the 10th realm. Asgard and Heven were at war and Odin & Frigga were fighting side by side against the warrior Angels of Heven. The leader of the angels takes Odins first born and tells him to surrender but as stubborn as Odin is all the time he says no. The angel then 'supposedly' kills the baby and in rage Odin uses the Odin force to tear Heven apart from the other 9 realms and wiped it from the existence in physical form and in the minds of all who knew of it in the 9 realms. The only people to know were Odin and Frigga. Thor found out during Original Sin when Uatu's eye reveal all his secrets to the heroes of the Marvel U. He and young Loki (and secretly aided by older Loki)are currently in Heven searching for his sister who was revealed as Angela. The story is ongoing

So Heven in Thor is different from Heaven. Heven consit of angel like beings who can die and I assume will go to Hel or Muspelheim I would assume. And due to Odin's actions concerning what he did to Heven allowed Angela to appear in Spawn because
Heven exist outside of any universe but was attached to all universes which basically means Angela could appear in Spawn, Marvel, DC, IDW, Darkhorse, Archies etc.
That's just my take.

Last edited:
I stopped reading Thor when JMS left.
How are there 2 Lokis?

Some stuff happened in Journey into Mystery and Loki became a little kid. I didn't read it but it sounds very convoluted. Hasn't stopped me from understanding/enjoying Agent of Asgard and Thor though :up:

The story of Loki's current lives is pretty complex. It starts alllll the way back at the final Ragnarok. Loki, along with all the other Asgardians, died in that Ragnarok and his spirit migrated to a human host. Thor ultimately resurrected all of the Asgardians, pulling their souls from their hosts and recreating their bodies. Loki was a woman for a while because he hijacked Sif's body, but that's another story.

Later, Loki was murdered by the Sentry near the conclusion of Siege. He'd set the events in motion that led to the Sentry's attack on Asgard, but he had a change of heart and ended up sacrificing himself in a (sadly failed) bid to save Asgard. But, due to some time travel and other machinations, he'd rigged the game so that he would be reborn again, this time in the body of a young French thief. Thor, not content to let his brother stay dead after he'd finally found some shred of nobility by fighting the Sentry, found this thief and resurrected Loki. Unexpectedly, Loki's new body was that of a young boy. Turns out those machinations had been to basically rewind the cosmic record, stripping Loki of all his sins and allowing him to get a second chance at life with a clean slate, which apparently meant starting at childhood again.

Kid Loki got into his usual mischief but was determined to make his second chance count, so he usually stopped shy of outright evil. He was still underhanded and deceitful, but he tried to use those skills for good this time. The Allmother--the three goddesses who currently rule Asgard--decided to take advantage of Kid Loki's earnest desire for redemption and cunning skills by using him as a secret agent of sorts; he'd run covert missions for them so they could maintain plausible deniability and they'd pardon all the sins from his past life (because although he was technically a new version of Loki from a cosmic standpoint, everyone still remembered the old Loki's crimes and still hated Kid Loki for them).

Ultimately, Loki's previous self, who still existed in the form of Ikol, a magpie who was giving Kid Loki advice, managed to destroy the new Loki and take over his body. But the original Loki still wanted his second chance, so he continued acting as Kid Loki would, basically hoping to con his way to redemption. Due to some events in the last Young Avengers series, Loki was then aged to young adulthood, which is where he's at now.

At the start of Loki: Agent of Asgard, the Allmother had Loki steal a container, which turned out to be holding an older version of Loki's soul. This Loki (call him Old Loki) is from the future, and once the current Loki learned about him, he was pretty furious because his existence implies that Loki will eventually fail in his quest for redemption. The Allmother's actually okay with this because they just see that as Loki returning to his true nature, which they figured was basically inevitable anyway. So they're now using both Old Loki and Loki for their own ends--Old Loki gives them advice and warnings of what's coming (while obviously running his own game on the side) and Loki still performs missions for them (although he's started to run his own game on the side too, which is supposed to be leading up to a heist that'll free him from both the Allmother's control and his own apparent destiny as Old Loki).

Phew. :o

Heven is just another realm. It has literally nothing to do with the biblical Heaven. It's just a realm that was connected to the Nine Realms of the Norse, but it was somehow cut off and stricken from the history books due to a big conflict in the distant past. The people there appear to be winged, angel-like women who are obsessed with payment and justice--the hardcore, biblical sort of justice where an action results in a consequence, period; no appeals to mercy, no nothing. Angela herself is apparently the daughter of Odin and Frigga/Freyja, making her sister to Balder, half-sister to Thor, and foster sister to Loki. She was kidnapped at the end of that aforementioned conflict and raised by the 'angels' of Heven.

Pluto? Pluto? Corp, we need to stage an intervention ASAP. You use Roman names? :argh:
Marvel uses Roman names, brah. I prefer Hades too, but he's almost always called Pluto in the comics. Hades is usually reserved for the name of his kingdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"