• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superman Returns What Aspects of Superman Returns do you feel should influence the comics?

Steelsheen said:
they dont need to bring everything from Pre-Crisis back, just the classic elements.

this is where personal preference comes in. lots of younguns i know are Post-Crisis freaks, because thats what they're mostly exposed to, its the most readily available. its hard to get a hold of original/ archival editons of Golden and Silver age comic books, and when they're available they dont come cheap. when kids do manage to read the Pre-Crisis comics they laugh at them because they're "corny". they may be corny by todays' storytelling standards but at least its original, imaginative writing. you may have continuity problems left and right, but hey that's how you develop a superhero, that's how you make a franchise grow. and best of all, its fun reading. escapism at its finest :D.

What elements would you bring back?

Kane said:
Levitz hinted that Lois and Clark may have a child reletively soon which will coincide with Bruce and Selina having Helena and the film.

really? so Helena Wayne's return as The Huntress is a possibility?

one of the things that really pissed me off with the whole post-crisis brouhaha is the way they killed off characters for the sake of streamlining things. :down:

The Crystal stuff. That's all. To me, the whole Crystal Krypton thing is really cool. Makes it seem otherworldly.

The comics need to remain focues on Clark's human upbringing and who he is as a person, why he chooses to be Superman on his own accord.

Krypton should not be much of a focus after Clark discovers where he is from and the events leading to Krypton's demise.

nothing really, because well think about what is their to bring?

I will all but garuntee you that every Superman fan who has a problem with the direction Singer took with this movie is a post-crisis freak.

I am a post crisis freak, and when the concept for this movie came out I loathed it with the passion of a heroin addict looking for his next hit. But since then, I have come to understand why Singer took the route that he did, and I, as a Superman fan, and looking forward to viewing this film next week.

retconned said:
What elements would you bring back?

ah geezus, where do i start?......

first off, i'd like to restore Superman to full power-- that means being able to fly in space without a friggin mask. we dont need to abuse the multicolored kryptonite concept, but if they have to bring in red kryptonite (which they have right?) then so be it. but the key phrase here: use it sparingly.

Lex Luthor: i dont know why they had to drop the mad scientist persona and opt for power hungry CEO when he could easily be both. the JLU animation comes close to the kind of Lex Luthor that i like: still head of Lex Corp with an uncanny interest and intellect for scientific projects, but with enough ego and ambition and hunger to control everybody, hence the bid for presidency, or even the possibility of merging with alien beings for absolute knowledge and immortality.

Supergirl= bring her back as Superman's cousin. (oh wait, i think they've done that. good. keep at it.)

The Huntress= bring her back as Bruce Wayne's and Selena Kyle's daughter.

Wonder Woman= getting rid of Diana Prince is like getting rid of Clark Kent (hello?!), so bring back the alter ego. and keep Paradise Island a secret. also Steve Trevor is the love of her life dammit, she left Paradise Island for him and for what he represents. besides he's the Lois Lane of the franchise. i dont know what they were thinking by pairing him off with Etta Candy geez.....

Barry Allen= reintroduce him, i dont know how, since i'm pretty happy with Wally West, but just bring him back. dont make him a villain though.

there's probably more, little stuff that when pulled in together makes it painful for a Pre-Crisis follower to accept. but as i've said we dont have to bring everything back. just those elements that has made characters/ events classic.

Right now, the Superman comics are at an all-time high for me.
I love the last scene in the latest comic, Where Luthor screams " I Hate YOU!" while he and supes are falling.
This one-year later thing is one of the greatest thing to happen to Superman, at least to me.

But i wouldn't mind the suit being in the comics.

Steelsheen said:
ah geezus, where do i start?......

first off, i'd like to restore Superman to full power-- that means being able to fly in space without a friggin mask. we dont need to abuse the multicolored kryptonite concept, but if they have to bring in red kryptonite (which they have right?) then so be it. but the key phrase here: use it sparingly.

Lex Luthor: i dont know why they had to drop the mad scientist persona and opt for power hungry CEO when he could easily be both. the JLU animation comes close to the kind of Lex Luthor that i like: still head of Lex Corp with an uncanny interest and intellect for scientific projects, but with enough ego and ambition and hunger to control everybody, hence the bid for presidency, or even the possibility of merging with alien beings for absolute knowledge and immortality.

Supergirl= bring her back as Superman's cousin. (oh wait, i think they've done that. good. keep at it.)

The Huntress= bring her back as Bruce Wayne's and Selena Kyle's daughter.

Wonder Woman= getting rid of Diana Prince is like getting rid of Clark Kent (hello?!), so bring back the alter ego. and keep Paradise Island a secret. also Steve Trevor is the love of her life dammit, she left Paradise Island for him and for what he represents. besides he's the Lois Lane of the franchise. i dont know what they were thinking by pairing him off with Etta Candy geez.....

Barry Allen= reintroduce him, i dont know how, since i'm pretty happy with Wally West, but just bring him back. dont make him a villain though.

there's probably more, little stuff that when pulled in together makes it painful for a Pre-Crisis follower to accept. but as i've said we dont have to bring everything back. just those elements that has made characters/ events classic.

Maybe you should except people have to go forward, Marvel is going forward why should DC backtrack? Batman should not have daughter, Diana Prince is worse then the glasses thing with Clark Kent. Barry allen is gone, accept it. Supergirl is a gimmick character as well was superboy. Marvel comics gave superheros problems and huamn feelings in the 60s, they did so buy realizing things must change. People[and things] never progress if they keep harking back for a time long long gone. I grew up after post crisis, and yet i respect the silver-age things to a degree. But i look at the stuff back then, and realize why things had to change.

No one wears bell bottoms anymore [i hope]. If people brought back "classic" elemets all the time, we would be a in world where black people can't go to th same schools as white people[as were the norm in the silver-age days].

retconned said:
I have feared something like this happening for the past year. There is no reason other than the fact that Superman Returns is coming out for the comics to be inspired by the silverage material. It seems that the higher ups don't understand the meaning of the word dated.

On that note, the kid doesn't bother me. And it never has. It was bound to happen in some incarnation anyway. I mean, it's a plot device, but I don't mind it.

Superman and Lois having a child isnt exactly a plot device, its just the next logical step in the evolution of their relationship.

And the Silverage revival has been happening way before Superman Returns.

It started into the 21st century as a way of getting rid of all the crappy 90s-Byrne esque elements.

Some major notable events were bringing back Kara Zor-El and Hal Jordan. They do seem to be bringing DC back to its roots after the 80s/90s kinda pulled them away.

SpeedballLives said:
Right now, the Superman comics are at an all-time high for me.
I love the last scene in the latest comic, Where Luthor screams " I Hate YOU!" while he and supes are falling.
This one-year later thing is one of the greatest thing to happen to Superman, at least to me.

But i wouldn't mind the suit being in the comics.

Agreed the SR-inspired 'Up, Up and Away' rocked.

I found Luthor pretty menacing.

Kane said:
Then youre screwed. Didio said theyre going back to a new precrisis silverage inspired origin with Superman post-IC.

Levitz hinted that Lois and Clark may have a child reletively soon which will coincide with Bruce and Selina having Helena and the film.

I hope hes named Jason.
just watch sales drop then all that **** will be written off

Thunder Emperor said:

Just watch you be proven wrong.

If the film is a success and the concept is accepted by the majority, it will continue.

The same was said about the marriage as well, ten years ago... but its survived despite earlier preconceptions.

Kane said:
Just watch you be proven wrong.

If the film is a success and the concept is accepted by the majority, it will continue.

The same was said about the marriage as well, ten years ago... but its survived despite earlier preconceptions.

alot of fans hate the marriage lol.

Eros said:
alot of fans hate the marriage lol.

Theyre in the minority, because its survived and continued.

DC could have easily retconned it post-IC but didnt. Theyre pushing it forward.

And they do take alot of fan feedback to heart, Ive been to a DC panel with Dan Didio, but it does seem the majority have grown to like the marriage thing.

Thunder Emperor said:

You are convinced of this TE, and I think a child would work well. I was thinking we would get the right three words in Up, up, but it's no haps. Eventually Lois and Clark will have a child, but...maybe now isn't the right time.

I don't think Levitz is stupid enough to try and totally match what SR is doing. When they tried that with LnC it backfired. I think some elements, like the Crystal tech and Luthor being a scientist are good re-additions. Also, remember that most of the SA stuff you are complaining about came from Smallville's influence, not SR. It's one of the reasons I hate the ****ing show.

edit:

Kane said:
Theyre in the minority, because its survived and continued.DC could have easily retconned it post-IC but didnt. Theyre pushing it forward. And they do take alot of fan feedback to heart, Ive been to a DC panel with Dan Didio, but it does seem the majority have grown to like the marriage thing.

I agree, and the from reading what Busiek said it would be worse to backtrack on the marriage than advance it. There are people who dislike the marriage intensely, but truly I think they are in the minority...a vocal minority, but the minority still.

Wait!
So Helena is Selina and Bruce's?
So he's gonna have a son AND a daughter in the comic.
Hopefully he doesn't turn evil, kill all the other superheroes, duel Superman, and become a mechanical monstrosity named Darth Bat.

charl_huntress said:
You are convinced of this TE, and I think a child would work well. I was thinking we would get the right three words in Up, up, but it's no haps. Eventually Lois and Clark will have a child, but...maybe now isn't the right time.

I don't think Levitz is stupid enough to try and totally match what SR is doing. When they tried that with LnC it backfired. I think some elements, like the Crystal tech and Luthor being a scientist are good re-additions. Also, remember that most of the SA stuff you are complaining about came from Smallville's influence, not SR. It's one of the reasons I hate the ****ing show.

Birthright as been removed/retconned out of DC continuity post-IC so chill...

Smallvile has got nothing on the comics now :up:

Secondly, Levitz wont copy SR exactly but the concept of Superman and Lois having a child will likely be explored.

The way it was done for the movie works in the context of the movie. In the comics, theyll need a new story.

But SR will still go down in history for bringing the child in first, and then into the postcrisis comics.

And.......yes Helena is Bruce and Selinas....and I dont think Bruce's son with Talia will survive for too long.

SpeedballLives said:
Wait!
So Helena is Selina and Bruce's?
So he's gonna have a son AND a daughter in the comic.
Hopefully he doesn't turn evil, kill all the other superheroes, duel Superman, and become a mechanical monstrosity named Darth Bat.

From what I read it looks like he is going to have two children, especially if the re-add Talia's child which I heard they were thinking of doing. But it hasn't been revealed if Helena is Bruce's. I hope she is, but it could be Slam or someone else.

52 needs to show Bruce visiting or leaving his training because he was supposed to be gone the whole year, so how did he impregnate Selena if he wasn't around to do it?

Anyway, I like the child in the Superman mythos. My only problem is it would date the characters, so I think perhaps (le sigh) they should wait a bit before introducing a son or daughter for Superman. And if it is a son, I'd rather they named him Conner.

charl_huntress said:
There are people who dislike the marriage intensely, but truly I think they are in the minority...a vocal minority, but the minority still.

Just like the ones who hate this film with a passion, post here everyday and then refuse to see it.... :confused:

Ya the minorities are always extremely vocal.

Kane said:
Birthright as been removed/retconned out of DC continuity post-IC so chill...

Smallvile has got nothing on the comics now :up:

Secondly, Levitz wont copy SR exactly but the concept of Superman and Lois having a child will likely be explored.

The way it was done for the movie works in the context of the movie. In the comics, theyll need a new story.

But SR will still go down in history for bringing the child in first, and then into the postcrisis comics.

And.......yes Helena is Bruce and Selinas....and I dont think Bruce's son with Talia will survive for too long.

who told you catwomans kid was Bruce's?

Kane said:
Birthright as been removed/retconned out of DC continuity post-IC so chill... Smallvile has got nothing on the comics now

Was BR completely retconned. Someone over at the DC boards asked Busiek about that, and he said it wasn't completely retconned. LOL...personally, I think DC doesn't have a clue what is in and what is out at this point.

We'll see though...but the simple fact that they are probably going to bring in Chloe Sullivan means that they will have to keep some elements of SV, which totally sucks ass.

charl_huntress said:
From what I read it looks like he is going to have two children, especially if the re-add Talia's child which I heard they were thinking of doing. But it hasn't been revealed if Helena is Bruce's. I hope she is, but it could be Slam or someone else.

52 needs to show Bruce visiting or leaving his training because he was supposed to be gone the whole year, so how did he impregnate Selena if he wasn't around to do it?

Anyway, I like the child in the Superman mythos. My only problem is it would date the characters, so I think perhaps (le sigh) they should wait a bit before introducing a son or daughter for Superman. And if it is a son, I'd rather they named him Conner.

Naw, having a second Conner Kent would be confusing. I'd rather Kon-El be remembered for having that name alone.

They could use Conner as a middle name though, but religious fanatatics may go ballistic when the child has the initials J.C.

The evidence seems to point to Bruce being the father though, during Infinite Crisis....the timeline was slightly altered...elements from other earths that Luthor brought back slightly influencing Earth Sigma.

Bruce is also supposed to tell Selina that he offers to take full finanicial care of the child etc......so it seems likely.

charl_huntress said:
Was BR completely retconned. Someone over at the DC boards asked Busiek about that, and he said it wasn't completely retconned. LOL...personally, I think DC doesn't have a clue what is in and what is out at this point.

We'll see though...but the simple fact that they are probably going to bring in Chloe Sullivan means that they will have to keep some elements of SV, which totally sucks ass.

They are? I LOVE Chloe. Hopefully, she's not completely like the Chloe in Smallville.

charl_huntress said:

Uhh...they arent bringing in Chloe. I dont think the guy who claimed they were really knew because others have said no.

Okay, about Birthright....I raised my hand and straight up asked Dan Didio at the DC Panel 2 months ago...

"Will Birthright still be in continuity or is MOS back?"

He said.....neither.

They are working on a new origins that is Silver Age inspired (likely based off the Donner origins) and has no real ties to Birthright or MOS besides the basics.

We likely wont get a whiny ass Lex Luthor hanging around in Smallville and the Kents will be older again...

SV.....retconned :up: :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"