Iron Man What 'departures from canon' are not acceptable to you?

kedrell

Fork&SpoonOperator
Reaction score
I saw a thread like this in the Batman forum and I think every character needs this question asked about them. So what do you think?

For me Jeff Bridges as the Mandarin is high on that list.

Also if they go with it like the cartoon DVD and totally gloss over how he needs the suit to stay alive. Or that he had been building suits prior to his captivity.

Any others?

Right now, the main concern for me is Favrea and co. reinventing the villains too much.

Bridges is Mandarin

We already saw this in Batman Begins and Rush Hour, I don't want The Mandarin, head of powerful Asian crime organization turn out to be an old white guy.

I wouldn't mind if Stark had already been developing armor suits prior to his capture. It make his creation of the Iron Man suit in captivity more believable. He's built more of these before, but this one is very low key due to time and material. Plus, it saves you a lot of time and explanation and you've already got an arrary of awesome suits.

I think that Bridges is going to be Howard Stark. And I also think that Favareu is going to put Stane into the mix and maybe alter the history a bit and have him be on Stark Enterprise's board.

I hated Mandarin's rendition in the animated film, so anything that is different than that interpretation, I'm fine with.

Unfortunately I don't know that much about Iron Man, but Mandarin not being asian would definetely feel odd to me. His name is Mandarin for crying out loud. :)

Hah! There are probably to may to name!

I just hope they nail the adventurous aspect of IM and don't turn the film into a cleverly disguised Batman Begins wannabe.

They shouldn't omit IM's alcoholism.

Jeff Bridges as Mandarin.
Tony and Rhodey's dynamic being altered.

What I mean by that is Tony and Rhodey always worked for me because their strengths overlap the others weaknesses, creating the perfect brains n' brawn tandem. So if Rhodey is presented as a something other than a tough-as-nails Marine, I'll be quite disappointed.

-Bridge's as Mandarin is very high on my list.
-Not addressing Tony's alcholism, which my hope is they will at least give us a glimpse of as growing problem.
-Having all his armors already built, that upset me when I saw that in the animated movie, that's not Iron Man's history.

They may allude to the liquor issue, but it won't be a forefront. Also Mandarin not being anything but a power hungry chinese guy would be idiotic. People used the Kingpin reference, but Kingpin's race was never an issue....Mandarin wants to follow in the footsteps of his Genghis Khan-like ancestors and conquer, so his race does matter.

They may allude to the liquor issue, but it won't be a forefront. Also Mandarin not being anything but a power hungry chinese guy would be idiotic. People used the Kingpin reference, but Kingpin's race was never an issue....Mandarin wants to follow in the footsteps of his Genghis Khan-like ancestors and conquer, so his race does matter.
Not to mention he is called The Mandarin. Unless he is Orange themed.

Quality.

Happends to too many Marvel films:csad:

The armor not having the basic power set of flight, rays out of hands, strength, ect.

For me Jeff Bridges as the Mandarin is high on that list.

Also if they go with it like the cartoon DVD and totally gloss over how he needs the suit to stay alive. Or that he had been building suits prior to his captivity.

Any others?

Honestly, Jeff Bridges as Mandarin wouldn't really bother me as long as the Mandarin is written as a complex villain. I just don't care about ethnicity nor his Genghis Khan roots. In fact, that might sound like that lame "Shadow" villain to the general public.

Not Acceptable?
Including ANYTHING from the animated DVD would be awful. Having a full arsenal of suits before captivity is a brain damaged idea and a plot killer. Forget comic history, having such weapons at your disposal and not using one to rush to Jim's aid is a joke. Stark needs to perfect the technology as a captive and then the movie can simply cut to a standard "SIX MONTHS LATER" second act. This approach would allow for more believable character development, better relationships and a better motivation for Stark to want to build more advanced armors. The DVD featured poor fight sequences and no real final confrontation. Those things can doom a summer movie.

Isildur´s Heir;11306146 said:
Jeff Bridges is Mandarin?
Really??

That´s just ridiculous...

A ridiculous rumor, so far. It hasn't been confirmed to be true. Just some speculation from someone on these boards.

valid point terry you're right:ninja:

Honestly, Jeff Bridges as Mandarin wouldn't really bother me as long as the Mandarin is written as a complex villain. I just don't care about ethnicity nor his Genghis Khan roots. In fact, that might sound like that lame "Shadow" villain to the general public.

Not Acceptable?
Including ANYTHING from the animated DVD would be awful. Having a full arsenal of suits before captivity is a brain damaged idea and a plot killer. Forget comic history, having such weapons at your disposal and not using one to rush to Jim's aid is a joke. Stark needs to perfect the technology as a captive and then the movie can simply cut to a standard "SIX MONTHS LATER" second act. This approach would allow for more believable character development, better relationships and a better motivation for Stark to want to build more advanced armors. The DVD featured poor fight sequences and no real final confrontation. Those things can doom a summer movie.
would it work if he' been designing the armor before his capture but NOT HAVE IT BUILT AT THE TIME OF HIS CAPTURE?

would it work if he' been designing the armor before his capture but NOT HAVE IT BUILT AT THE TIME OF HIS CAPTURE?

That sounds feasible and even preferable.

-Bridge's as Mandarin is very high on my list.
-Not addressing Tony's alcholism, which my hope is they will at least give us a glimpse of as growing problem.
-Having all his armors already built, that upset me when I saw that in the animated movie, that's not Iron Man's history.

1. Don't worry, Bridges confirmed that he was going to play Stane.

2. And so what? Favreau want's to develop acholism problem using sequels (he had already confirmed this).

3. Where did you find this info?

The Shadow wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the best. The only thing was that no one knows who The Shadow character is, or was back when it was released except for fanboys and people that recalled the radio show, so any liberties weren't really griped about.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I love this idea. Not only does it make his buidling of the armor more easily accepted and more believable, but it saves a tremendous amount of time. Have him work closely with the project, making him familiar with the basic blueprints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"