What directors are the best at creating characters?

Harry Dresden

Sidekick
Reaction score
Title of thread is self-explanatory. What movie directors are the best at creating memorable, well-developed, and three-dimensional characters?

Title of thread is self-explanatory. What movie directors are the best at creating memorable, well-developed, and three-dimensional characters?

The writer creates them, the director develops their journey.

Christopher McQuarrie, Robert Zemeckis, Alphonso Cuaron, and Steven Spielberg come to mind. The last one doesn't write scripts, but his direction helps in displaying some of their character traits that you might not feel under different directors.

Hou Hsiao-Hsien. His characters always feel as if they could walk off the screen, especially in his early films. Same with Tsai Ming-Liang, whose youth characters especially remind me of friends I knew growing up, friends I miss very much. Edward Yang films feel like documentaries no matter the genre; A Brighter Summer Day especially feels like you are looking through a window into another world.

I thought you might mention some anime film directors.

I should have cited Takahata, Kon, Miyazaki, Shinkai (who's just getting better and better), Yamaga (Wings of Honneamise is a masterpiece), Otomo, and Hosoda. I don't know why I didn't.

I should have cited Takahata, Kon, Miyazaki, Shinkai (who's just getting better and better), Yamaga (Wings of Honneamise is a masterpiece), Otomo, and Hosoda. I don't know why I didn't.

Christopher Nolan. Inception has one of the most perfect arcs for the main character of any film I've ever seen.

And of course Nolan is responsible for helping craft Ledger's Joker.

I really like how Tarantino writes characters. The type of dialogue and things he makes them do, say a lot about who and how they are. He has this ability of creating relatable, highly rewatchable conversations that deepens the personality of their characters.

Steven Soderbergh, Alex Garland, Martin McDonagh, Joe Carnahan, Peter Berg, Justin Lin, Don Coscaralli

Guy Ritchie is one of the best. All those thugs and bad guys are just like real in his movies. I mean his old stylish crime comedies like Snatch. But Sherlock Holmes was good too (I think it's only due to Robert Downey Jr)

Guy Ritchie is one of the best. All those thugs and bad guys are just like real in his movies. I mean his old stylish crime comedies like Snatch. But Sherlock Holmes was good too (I think it's only due to Robert Downey Jr)

Snatch and Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels are great - full of quirky characters, my favorite being "Bullet Tooth Tony" !

Snatch and Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels are great - full of quirky characters, my favorite being "Bullet Tooth Tony" !
My favorite from Snatch is Mickey, Brad Pitt's play was just gorgeous. Talking about Locks Stocks, Barry the Baptist is awesome :)

I agree with above comments, Ritchie's films have included lots of fun characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"