Comics What do you consider the best Superman stories?

My Superman recommendations continued:
Superman #22 (1988) "The Price!"
imgqdb.jpg

Superman #23 (1988) "Curse of the Banshee."
imgbit.jpg

Lex Luthor: The Unauthorized Biography.
lexluthoru.jpg

Cosmic Odyssey.
12493900x1350.jpg

Superman #40 (1990) "Terror on the Streets."
supermanv240.jpg

Adventures of Superman #463 (1990) "Speed Kills."
theadventuresofsuperman.jpg

Action Comics #650 (1990) "Reflections."
img0030ib.jpg

The Adventures of Superman #464 (1990) "Blood Brawl."
img0009hb.jpg

World's Finest.
supermanbatmanworldsfin.jpg

Adventures of Superman #487 (1992) "Christmas in Suicide Slumberland."
adventuresofsuperman487.jpg

Last edited:
My Superman recommendations continued:
Adventures of Superman #491 (1992) "A Good Head on Your Shoulders."
2310026adventuresofsupe.jpg

Superman: The Man of Steel #16 (1992) "Crisis at Hand: Hard Knocks."
supermanmanofsteelvol11.jpg

Superman/Aliens.
1f1174780supermanaliens.jpg

JLA/Avengers.
10383900x1350.jpg

If you like Kingdom Come, you'd probably like this book:
img0006clfp.jpg

Superman: Grounded.
1958992groundedvol1supe.jpg

Beyond comics, I recommend:
Fleischer Superman.
img0014ri.jpg

Adventures of Superman.
img0010nc.jpg

img0011vji.jpg

img0022dg.jpg

img0013cam.jpg

I Love Lucy Season 6 with Superman.
img0018cs.jpg

The New Adventures of Superman.
img0015bu.jpg

Justice League: The New Frontier.
img0019oo.jpg

DC Super Heroes: The Filmation Adventures.
img0017jls.jpg

Ruby-Spears Superman.
img0016cch.jpg

I love the Price, infact I love that whole Supergirl saga, it's so cool that Byrne did something so controversial too and it also led into Exile which I also love.

Some cool recommendations there a few I haven't read.

C2E2 2013: DC Comics BATMAN/SUPERMAN 101 LIVE!

Palmiotti
"Batman Year One is the book that I've bought over and over. When people don't really know about comics, I hand that to them and say, 'Read this and it will tell you why he's so cool.' As for Superman, I have to say Birthright by Mark Waid. It's just amazing. These are two comics I can give out. I always go out and buy the new editions of the trades to give to people.
Harras says,
"The book that comes to mind first to me for Superman is a book that put back the magic of superheroes, the magic of comics, and that's All-Star Superman. This is what a great Superman comic is. It's Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely and it's perfect.
  • Burnham says "Grant Morrison's first Batman trade, The Black Glove is the one for me. It's the start of his 6-7 year epic that I have the great honor of finishing off with him. I think Batman has a great mix of crazy stuff and stuff that makes sense when he writes it.
  • "For Superman? I agree it's Superman: Birthright. I finished it on the bus and I almost cried - I feel like crying just thinking about it. And if you look at the new trailer for Man of Steel? It's basically cut and pasted from that comic."
Tynion echoed that All-Star and Birthright are excellent, and said that Geoff Johns' Brainiac story is one of his favorites for "making Brainiac scary."
John Layman says "I'm terrible with titles, I think it's Superman: For All Seasons? Yeah, that's a beautiful book, breathtaking.

I've done some research, and the stories I would be interested in checking out are:

All Star Superman
For All Seasons
Birthright
Red Son
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
Secret Identity
Kryptonite
Brainiac

That's a damn fine list AnneFan, you can't go wrong with it. :up:

That's a damn fine list AnneFan, you can't go wrong with it. :up:
Thanks, good to know. They all interest me for different reasons - but All Star is shaping up as the most appealing start point.

All Star is the very definition of what makes Superman great.

I've done some research, and the stories I would be interested in checking out are:

All Star Superman
For All Seasons
Birthright
Red Son
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
Secret Identity
Kryptonite
Brainiac

If you're gonna read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow I would highly recommend For The Man Who Has Everything, it's better than WHTTMOT in my opinion.

Thanks for telling how it might be easier to locate, I'm still trying to find this show

That's a fun Superman show with a lot of fast paced sci-fi action/adventure. Even has original villains that I like. It's available here.
http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Spears-Superman-Various/dp/B002K0WBDM

No love for Lois & Clark?

Not much. Teri Hatcher was cute as Lois and I liked how Dean Cain played Clark as a confident, aggressive reporter, I liked how the Kents were alive, I liked how the show had the triangle romantic tension between Lois and Clark and Superman, and there was some chemistry. But I feel Dean Cain lacked the authoritativeness and presence of Superman. John Shea was miscast as Luthor. They also cast 5' 10" Howie Mandell as the little imp Mister Mxyzptlk, Jeffersons sitcom star Sherman Hemsley as the Toyman and Perfect Strangers sitcom star Bronson Pinchot as the Prankster. They were obviously cast purely for comedy without any attempt at menace at all and showed little care for faithfulness to the source material. No Brainiac or Bizarro or Metello or Silver Banshee or even any good original villains. Casting and performances of the villains wasn't taken seriously and the show wasn't faithful enough to the source material for me as a whole. Overall I feel the show lacked the grandeur of Superman.

If you're gonna read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow I would highly recommend For The Man Who Has Everything, it's better than WHTTMOT in my opinion.
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

SOLO: Man of Steel Mini-series
Team up: Dark Knight Over Metropolis (by Ordway in the 90's)
Elseworlds: RED SON

I like all the stories you guys mentioned. I'd like to add a few more.

Action Comics vol 2 #0, "The Boy Who Stole Superman's Cape"
Action_Comics_Vol_2_0.jpg

Action Comics vol 1 #775, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, & the American Way?"
Action_Comics_775.jpg

Superman vol 1 # 423 and Action Comics vol 1 # 583, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"
Superman_v.1_423.jpg
Action_Comics_583.jpg

Last edited:
I wanna recommend the 1982 mini series Phantom Zone, written by Steve Gerber. A great mix of real world tension and otherworldly surrealism.

images

Last edited:
There are so many to choose but if I'm going to pick one of my favorite solo stories (which could kinda count as a team up as well technically) is "The Supergirl Saga" that introduced the first post-crisis Supergirl, Matrix
Superman_v.2_21.jpg
Adventures_of_Superman_444.jpg
superman-22.jpg

for a team-up story I'm going with Batman/Superman: Public Enemies.
jan050285a.jpg

It reads like a silly popcorn buddy cop action flick and that's fine there are still plenty of good character moments for our heroes.

For Elseworlds stories, two of my favorites are little known and IMO very underrated

Superman/Wonder Woman: Whom Gods Destroy
whomgodsdestroyset.jpg

and JLA: Act of God
61977-6485-94972-1-jla-act-of-god_super.jpg

300px-JLA_Act_of_God_2.jpg

JLA_Act_of_God_3.jpg

Let me recommend the only good animated adventures trade (IMO):

261-6.jpg

Golden Age Superman's my favourite age of the character

Does anyone know how many more stories need to be printed after the MAN OF STEEL VOL. 8 collection of John Byrne's Superman?

What Superman stories are there in which his villain doesn't try to beat him with Kryptonite, is there any with inner conflicts as the main struggle of the story?

I've dipped my toe into the water, so to speak and ordered All Star Superman, Birthright and Kingdom Come. A solid three to start with, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"