Comics What do you consider the best Superman stories?

I've dipped my toe into the water, so to speak and ordered All Star Superman, Birthright and Kingdom Come. A solid three to start with, I think.

Yes. I would also recommend MAN OF STEEL Vol. 1, LAST SON and For All Seasons to also get you started.

I've dipped my toe into the water, so to speak and ordered All Star Superman, Birthright and Kingdom Come. A solid three to start with, I think.

Perfect choices, my top 3 choices for any Superman stories ever. If you have similar taste to me, I'd also recommend reading Final Crisis: Superman Beyond and The Curse of Superman in Action Comics #9, both also written by Grant Morrison.

I'm finding the best Superman stories are usually elseworlds and one-shots. Where a particular theme is brought across, usually tied up in his origins.

I'm finding the best Superman stories are usually elseworlds and one-shots. Where a particular theme is brought across, usually tied up in his origins.

Have you read any of the Byrne run? Or anything after Exile i.e. Panuc in the Sky, Time and Time Again etc cause IMO this is the best Superman stuff you can read that has a running continuity.

If we are talking just stories and not comics then THIS:

mos_glyph_hires.jpg

I will also point out that you can find some great stories that run the gamett of Superman's history in this...
91V8oGxPVaL.png

This volume is dated, but it is a far better collection than what the 2000's brought us with subsequent GREATEST STORIES volumes.

Have you read any of the Byrne run? Or anything after Exile i.e. Panuc in the Sky, Time and Time Again etc cause IMO this is the best Superman stuff you can read that has a running continuity.
No I haven't, but I may get around to checking them out.

Those three GN's I ordered arrived, and I really took to them. Really top stuff. Red Son, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? and The Death of Superman are next on my radar.

Does anyone have an opinion on the story 'For Tomorrow'?

No I haven't, but I may get around to checking them out.

Those three GN's I ordered arrived, and I really took to them. Really top stuff. Red Son, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? and The Death of Superman are next on my radar.

Does anyone have an opinion on the story 'For Tomorrow'?

Well, For Tomorrow is probably the most polarizing Superman story of all time. Some fans love it, others find it confusing. Many fans of Jim Lee obviously love it, but the story in my opinion, leaves A LOT to be desired. It just depends on who you ask.

I'll probably pick it up at some point. I like the idea of Superman having constructed an area where to place humanity if need be, fearing Earth could suffer Krypton's fate.

I took a look at ‘For the Man who has Everything’ story. Very touching, like all the best Superman comics tend to be. He has all the powers you could ever imagine. But deep down in Superman’s heart of hearts, he just wants to have lived a normal life on Krypton with a wife and kids. But he can never, ever have it. Also loved the trade-off this gives. Because his realistic dream featured a Krypton life, his father’s doomsday prophecy doesn’t eventuate, and he’s viewed as a radical. Terrific story.

I'll probably pick it up at some point. I like the idea of Superman having constructed an area where to place humanity if need be, fearing Earth could suffer Krypton's fate.

I took a look at ‘For the Man who has Everything’ story. Very touching, like all the best Superman comics tend to be. He has all the powers you could ever imagine. But deep down in Superman’s heart of hearts, he just wants to have lived a normal life on Krypton with a wife and kids. But he can never, ever have it. Also loved the trade-off this gives. Because his realistic dream featured a Krypton life, his father’s doomsday prophecy doesn’t eventuate, and he’s viewed as a radical. Terrific story.

I'm glad you enjoyed ‘For the Man who has Everything’. If you want to collect it, along with Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow, your best bet would be:

250px-DC_Universe_The_Stories_of_Alan_Moore.jpg

You also get the great Superman/Swamp Thing story.

My top 5 favorite silver-age Superman stories:

1. Superman's Return to Krypton
2. The Team of Luthor and Brainiac
3. The Death of Superman
4. The Last Days of Superman
5. Showdown Between Luthor and Superman

After consideration my top 5 would be:

1. All Star Superman
2. Red Son
3. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
4. For The Man Who Has Everything
5. Kingdom Come

Birthright is my favourite origin.

I've actually been wondering whats everyone's favourite Superman stories? In these categories:

Favourite solo story
Favourite team up story
Favourite else worlds story

Favourite solo story - For All Seasons

Favourite team up story - Public Enemies (only complete one I own so it gets the vote)

Favourite else worlds story - True Brit

I have read Kryptonite, and I had a great time with it. Fun story with great character moments.

I enjoyed the portrayal of Lois. A woman who gets what she wants and knows her job inside out. Superman also receives a fine portrayal, in terms of juggling his love life with Lois and his need to save the world.

The entity inside the kryptonite is a little loopy, but I think it benefited the story. I liked how it gave the rock a voice and personality. It being a patient observer for many years - serving as our narrator. Filling in the lead villain's backstory.

Overall, Kryptonite may not be in the 'All Star' or 'Red Son' league, but it's a very good Superman tale worth owning.

John Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries
Man_of_Steel_1B.jpg

All Star Superman
All_Star_Superman_Cover.jpg

Superman: Secret Identity

Superman-secretidentity1.jpg

Action Comics #775
Action_Comics_775.jpg

Superman: Brainiac
SupermanBrainiacTPB.jpg

Superman: War of the Worlds
3755115-01.jpg

Superman: Red Son
Supermanredson.jpg

Superman: Birthright
Birthright01cover.jpg

Superman for All Seasons
Superman_for_All_Seasons.jpg

Action Comics Vol. 2 #0
Action_Comics_Vol_2_0.jpg

Last edited:
I've actually been wondering whats everyone's favourite Superman stories? In these categories:

Favourite solo story
Favourite team up story
Favourite else worlds story

Solo story: Action Comics #775
Team up: Tie between Panic in the Sky and Legion of 3 Worlds
Elseworlds: Last Family of Krypton

Even though I haven't read too many superman stories, Red Son is the best so far.

All-Star, For All Seasons, Red Son and Kingdom Come. I'm yet to read Secret Identity but look forward to it.

I read Emperor Joker, and while having Batman universe elements with the obvious presence of The Joker, I think this is also a fantastic Superman story. It's a glowing example of Superman's will. How he never gives up, even in the most dire circumstances. And how he stays true to his morals and beliefs in achieving victory. I also think it's clever how Superman knows something is off in the universe, given he's always striving for a better world and a better tomorrow.

This is a story with Superman as DC's centrepiece hero, and someone who takes on the mental burden of Batman so he can go on living. For me, for a weird story in concept, it ticks a lot of boxes. It cuts to the core of Superman's character. He's more than a set of superpowers and punching walls.

A lot have been mentioned. For me, Superman: Peace on Earth is a standout, too.

latest

Here's my Superman GN collection as of today:

All Star Superman
Birthright
Red Son
Death of Superman
World Without a Superman
The Return of Superman
Kryptonite
For All Seasons
Dark Knight Over Metropolis
Kingdom Come
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
Superman Unchained
For Tomorrow
Godfall
Last Son of Krypton
Emperor Joker
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
Secret Identity
Up, Up and Away
Earth One I-III

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts