What got you into comics?

My dad has a pile of old Iron Man comics in his room and when I was in the very young he gave them to me, those and the Death of Superman issue, that was the frist time I read any type of comics.

What started the comic craze for me was in first grade, walking down Toys 'R' Us and seeing the Spawn toys... yes thank God for Spawn and the free comics that came with each figure.

Last year or so when I was done with class and went to eat lunch. Me and a friend were walking down the street and I saw a comic book store, I walked in... and walked out with about 20 issues of Spawn. Then House of M came out and I lost my mind on that, and it's been down hill from there.

I was real young...no clue on the age...but I was insane about GI Joe (still am really) and had bought the entire first wave of toys or so that had been released...Anyway, i was sick or hurt or something and my dad was coming to visit and asked if I wanted anything while he was on the way and I asked for a GI Joe comic, because Id heard they were around.
He brought GI Combat...
Thanks dad, you *****.
But I liked it enough to keep buying comics and that led to a comic book love that kept me from having sex with a real live girl until well into my teen years.

Then I stopped reading for years...

So heres how I got BACK INTO comics...

I think my brother had moved out for awhile but then moved back in...he had started buying comics and I read all of his IMPACT comics that DC put out and decided to go buy my own books...I walked into the store, completely ignorant of everything except IMPACT and asked the store owner if any new superhero books were out that people seemed to like...
That day, coincidentally had seen the release of the first ever Image comic, Youngblood #1...I bought it, and didnt really like it but the ads for other books looked cool so I bought the other Image books when they came out (having enevr even heard of Tod McFarlane or Jim lee I wasnt even aware Image being a big deal at all. I bought everything Image released and nothing else...and eventually realized I was bored as hell with this crap...

I told all that so i could tell this...the true birth of my adulthood comic life...I walked into the comic shop and told the owner that I wouldnt be shopping there anymore because even though hed been a great guy I just couldnt waste my money on horrible comics anymore. He told me that he knew this day would come for me and he handed me the first Madman miniseries and told me to trust him...I did and bought it...It was the best purchase I have ever made. I went into the store the next afternoon and asked him to give me something else...and he sold me on 1-9 of Bone...and the next day i was back for more...he suggested Tales Of The Beanworld, Strangers In Paradise, Hepcats and Sin City...I have trusted the stores owner ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"