World What got you into Spider-Man?

A friend of mine was a Spidey fan while I was more into Batman, due to the movies and TAS. He showed me some cards he had and I instantly latched onto the Hobgoblin. Ironically, my buddy was least interested in Hobby. "He just flies around and throws pumpkins at people." I was like "Tell me more!" I also started reading the Phil Urich Green Goblin series and was hooked.

I've dumped Spidey several times. I did it after the Gathering of Five and after One More Day. I came back for a while with the Gauntlet, Grim Hunt and Big Time but dumped it again after the Hobgoblin story ended.

I have to admit that before I watched SM1. I was more into Batman than Spidey.
Batman -> Spider man
Spider man -> Batman

For me it was my dad. He has a huge collection of comics for just about every hero you can think of. But I latched onto spidey quick, probably cause my name actually is Parker so I instantly wanted to be like him.

I'm a Superman first & foremost because I grew up with Superman: The Movie & Superfriends. I started getting into Spidey when I started watching the old Spiderman & his Amazing Friends cartoons, & from there it went into Spiderman: The Animated Series & of course the Spidey movies. I also took a liking to him because he's unique & comedic.

This is always a fun topic to revisit every few months. Marvel was always better at promoting and showing off more characters in their media than DC was. In the very least as individual characters rather than a bunch of team shows. There was a short lived Silver Surfer cartoon for crying out loud! In fact, I think that the only two cartoons with Spidey that didn't feature guest stars was Spider-Man: the New Animated Series and Spectacular Spider-Man...because of Sony's ownership of the character's media rights at the time. Did your introduction to Spider-Man open your eyes to the Marvel universe as a whole?

Very early 70s, when I was 5 or 6, my two older brothers would 'let me' do their chores and they'd pay me from their comic book stacks. I always went for the Spidey comics. And they'd play the 60s Spidey cartoon in the afternoon on tv. Then I got older enough to make an allowance (something like 5 cents to dry the dishes, or 5 cents to help fold laundry) I'd save my money up and then we'd go to 7-11 where I could buy a new Spidey comic and a slurpee... and some penny candy. Man those were the days.

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam

spider-man-and-his-amazing-friends-cartoon-f78ee.jpg

The silliest Spider-Man cartoon ever, but I still enjoy it more than some other stuff, heck, it's still a fun cartoon to watch

This for me too.

When I was 4, I got this book that was from Scholastic and it was a detailed guide to Spider-man, his villains and his most notable storylines involving them.

Now I liked Spider-man before that due to the cartoons but that was when I truly fell in love with the character.

I have been a diehard Spidey fan every since and I always will be.

A friend of mine was a Spidey fan while I was more into Batman, due to the movies and TAS. He showed me some cards he had and I instantly latched onto the Hobgoblin. Ironically, my buddy was least interested in Hobby. "He just flies around and throws pumpkins at people." I was like "Tell me more!" I also started reading the Phil Urich Green Goblin series and was hooked.

I've dumped Spidey several times. I did it after the Gathering of Five and after One More Day. I came back for a while with the Gauntlet, Grim Hunt and Big Time but dumped it again after the Hobgoblin story ended.

I love Hobgoblin too. Hobby and Gobby need to make a comeback.

Spider-Man: The Animated Series.

Then I played Maximum Carnage which made me love the symbiotes.

While reading the comic's Spidey in 1990, & watch tv cartoon series Spider-man (1994)...& watching again amazing spider-man tv series (1977)...love it all..

It would have to have been sometime during the 80's at around 4 or so. I remember Spidey and Hulk from the TV series, old cartoons, shirts and underwear etc.

At age 11, I bought some 1994 Spider-Man Fleer cards. I used to look at those and that is how I learned to draw Spidey (and draw in general). About this time I also picked up the 1994 Marvel Universe Cards, learning more about the Marvel Universe, watched X-Men TAS and of course the Spider-Man animated series as well. Spidey was the one who got me into all things Marvel and all comics and superhero stuff actually.

Last edited:
Growing up in the late 80's and 90's Batman was my guy for a long time. His movies were around and he had the superb animated series. But the Spider-man animated series made Spidey my 2nd favorite behind Batman. Yet the more I got into Spidey the more I related to him. That's how he took Batman's number 1 spot to me.

I seem to remember being ill whilst at school and being off for some time and watching the 60s tv series and becoming a fan that way. never really bothered about the comics or cartoon s until my son was born and watched it every day on fox kids and then i started thinking about decorating our stairwell with a few spiderman comics, the hunt for a few decent covers turned me into a comic collector and i have been buying and selling spider books since. The figures i have paid for some of these books sent my misses into orbit. I have since kicked the expensive comics into touch and just make do with my monthly subscription to 1 spiderman comic a month. i do go a bit crazy now and then and buy a few variants when they surface

The 90's cartoon series for me.

I used to set my alarm for 8 in the morning just to watch it on a saturday morning when I was a kid.

Seriously loved the first two Raimi movies when they came out (when I was 14), and bought the first 2 volumes of Ultimate Spiderman when I was in college along with a few other random issues. Also loved The Spectacular Spiderman when I caught up with it a few years ago.

The only reason I've not been more into him is that I'm a Superman fan first and foremost, and that takes up a lot of my time and money :funny: but the hype I'm feeling for TASM is kind of making me wanna get my head in a few of the comics :)

A friend of mine was a Spidey fan while I was more into Batman, due to the movies and TAS.

Dude, I have a similar story! I grew up on Batman TaS since Mask of the Phantasm and those good old days. I loved everything about it. The dark noire-esque mood, the stoic nature of Batman, and just his iconic rogue gallery. My friends and I used to draw and make our own comics (very badly... we were like in Kindergarten lol). A friend of mine came in one day with his home-made Spidey story. Okay, the drawing would make Ramos's art look realistic, the coloring wasn't strictly kept inside the lines, and the story was Stephanie Meyer caliber, but it had captured Spidey's essentials and I was hooked. The iconic red and blue costume, the slender kinetic energy, the perspective shots of this lone guy swinging around a city on webs. All those elements came together and something just "clicked".

My uncle was a huge comic collector and I found out he actually had a ton of Spidey. The '90s Spider-man series became my favourite show and I would buy the comics monthly (all of Sensational, Amazing, Peter Parker & Spectacular). I came to understand that I liked Batman because his character played on who I wanted to be (rich, strong, smart), but Spidey... I identified with him 'cuz in a lot of ways he was who I already was. I grew up as this skinny kid, poor, picked on constantly, interested in the sciences over sports (mainly because I couldn't hit a ball to save my life, except unfortunately... with my face), etc. The character just resonated with me, and continues to do so to this day.

Last edited:
Dude, I have a similar story! I grew up on Batman TaS since Mask of the Phantasm and those good old days. I loved everything about it. The dark noire-esque mood, the stoic nature of Batman, and just his iconic rogue gallery. My friends and I used to draw and make our own comics (very badly... we were like in Kindergarten lol). A friend of mine came in one day with his home-made Spidey story. Okay, the drawing would make Ramos's art look realistic, the coloring wasn't strictly kept inside the lines, and the story was Stephanie Meyer caliber, but it had captured Spidey's essentials and I was hooked. The iconic red and blue costume, the slender kinetic energy, the perspective shots of this lone guy swinging around a city on webs. All those elements came together and something just "clicked".

My uncle was a huge comic collector and I found out he actually had a ton of Spidey. The '90s Spider-man series became my favourite show and I would buy the comics monthly (all of Sensational, Amazing, Peter Parker & Spectacular). I came to understand that I liked Batman because his character played on who I wanted to be (rich, strong, smart), but Spidey... I identified with him 'cuz in a lot of ways he was who I already was. I grew up as this skinny kid, poor, picked on constantly, interested in the sciences over sports (mainly because I couldn't hit a ball to save my life, except unfortunately... with my face), etc. The character just resonated with me, and continues to do so to this day.

Very cool. And welcome to the boards! :woot:

The 90's animated series got me properly into Spider-Man. I always seem to remember his webbing "losing consistency"

The 90's animated series got me properly into Spider-Man. I always seem to remember his webbing "losing consistency"
Lol, and that's exactly how Christopher Daniel Barnes would always put it.

It was 2002, I was 6, but all I wanted was getting into the cinema to see my favourite superhero in a movie. I used to watch the 90s animated series, of course, but the movie really surprised me. You know, Willem Dafoe <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"