Arrow What happened to Oliver's money?

ZIPBAGS

Sidekick
Reaction score
They make it seem like he is broke and yet still seems to be able to live without a normal job. I understand he lost control of Queen Consolidated. But, he should still be extremely wealthy..Especially after Moira died.

Is this ever explained??

He was broke, but it was never really addressed. He eventually started mooching off of Thea, and it appears he'll be in a similar position with Felicity.

Basically: he did lose all of his money (despite what Stephen Amell will tell you), but it didn't affect the series at all.

I suspect that at some point, Felicity will hand the reins of Queen Industries back to Ollie, claiming that it's too much for her to deal with (too much pressure and stress) or something.

So basically, it was yet another detail that Season 3 messed up.

Nah, it was the one huge gigantic writing blunder of season 2. Basically, the writers wanted his money to go away, but they didn't want to bother writing something even slightly believable. So they waved their hands really fast and hoped the audience would believe that literally every single asset owned by the Queen family was tied to the corporation, rather than being personally owned.

May that as it be, the inconsistent treatment of Oliver's ongoing financial situation through out season 3 (which was when Oliver's money issues were more prominently featured, seeing as how he only lost his company at the end of season 2) was definitely a mistake made during season 3.

I've never understood why this is such a bone of contention for people. What happened with Oliver's financial situation seems pretty clear-cut, at least to me: Isabel Rochev and Slade Wilson's machinations liquidated most of the Queen family's assets, not only with regards to Queen Consolidated, but their personal finances as well.

I've never understood why this is such a bone of contention for people. What happened with Oliver's financial situation seems pretty clear-cut, at least to me: Isabel Rochev and Slade Wilson's machinations liquidated most of the Queen family's assets, not only with regards to Queen Consolidated, but their personal finances as well.

It's not clear cut. Yes, Ollie lost control of Queen industries by Isabel. But, that would or should have no affect on the personal fortune of the Queen family. While Oliver doesn't control Queen enterprises. He still owns a large share of the company as seen when he and Walter tried to take back the company before Ray came in.

Although I haven't actually gotten that far in Season 2, I distinctly remember reading somewhere that there was a concrete explanation given by Isabel as to just how deep her and Slade's machinations went that matches what I said re: the Queen family's personal finances.

The problems are:

-Yes Isabel Rochev got control of Queen Consolidated. But I don't know how that effects the Queen's personal family fortune? Unless they were stupid enough to have ALL of their assets tied up in the company. And given that Moira was seemingly pretty sharp, and Robert was no fool when it came to finance, I find that unlikely (especially since Moira also didn't trust Isabel as far as she could through her). And no, there is NO concrete explanation for why the personal Queen fortune disappeared (at least not on the show itself).

-We're given ONE LINE of thruway dialogue about Isabel "making the stock worthless." Now I'm no expect when it comes to business, but I don't think that you can ONLY hurt the stock of a particular investor (since there's no evidence that the company is suffering as a whole). You COULD tank the stock, but it'd tank ALL of the stock. And this would likely result in Isabel getting fired for incompetence by the Board of Directors.

-They didn't spend nearly enough time building up the Oliver/Isabel dynamic to make me buy that he would just hand the company over to her (even temporarily) like that. I COULD have been made to buy it, especially given the Russia episode. But then after that, she completely disappears (except for a couple of cameos) from the show until this episode.

Basically, the writers apparently know nothing about how the financial system works (just like they apparently know nothing about how the legal system works, judging by Moira's trial). It was a poorly thought-out move to "break" Oliver.

Last edited:
I think there are two separate issues being discussed here:

1. The how of Oliver losing his personal net worth.

2. The inconsistency of Oliver's lack of funds only affecting him as and when the plot needs to while seemingly not impeding him the rest of the time.

Interestingly, I find the former really easy to explain. Just because someone owns a portion of a company, that doesn't mean they get to keep any of its profits. Queen Consolidated probably just offers crappy dividends to its shareholders.

I think there are two separate issues being discussed here:

1. The how of Oliver losing his personal net worth.

2. The inconsistency of Oliver's lack of funds only affecting him as and when the plot needs to while seemingly not impeding him the rest of the time.

Interestingly, I find the former really easy to explain. Just because someone owns a portion of a company, that doesn't mean they get to keep any of its profits. Queen Consolidated probably just offers crappy dividends to its shareholders.

The thing is that you make a corporation so you do not lose your personal assets in case of bankruptcy. Business or Economics 101. So there is no way in hell the Queens would have lost the mansion club and personal funds.

Aside from that Isabell could not have made the Queens majority share in the company worthless without bankrupting it. Finally since the show said they still had a majority of the stock the Queens could have retaken control of the company anytime they want in the real world.

Bad writing happened to Oliver's money.

Should have tied it up with lawsuits after earthquake machine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"