• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superman Returns What is going on in Lex's mind anyway?

Willowhugger

Civilian
Reaction score
Lex is clearly always had a few screws loose.

Movie 1

1. He lives in a subway rather than a normal mansion or penthouse.

2. He's clearly hugely rich but doesn't have a gang or corporation.

3. Its also clear Miss Tessmocker and Otis are probably the only people who even know Lex is ALIVE. Some serious Howard Hughes isolation.

4. Lex Luthor is so obsessed with having his own island kingdom, he's going to blow up California when its just as easy to get an equal amount of money from nukes through normal extortion.

5. Seems to have the inability to process normal people won't be wanting to move to california's ashes anytime soon.

Movie 2

1. Island nation desire turns to wanting to rule Australia.

2. Confronts the Kryptonians without Kryptonite or any other means of persuading them solely on the basis of his belief he can persuade them to make him their henchman.

3. Obsesses over Superman's Fortress of Solitude technology.

Movie 5

1. Has replaced Miss Techmonger (with good reason even though he trusted her to get him out of prison)

2. Is rich and powerful through the English Way of Earning Money (inheriting it)

3. Now intends to destroy the United States

(out of curiosity, is the Crystals hyper condensed? If they were being made out of the water then they wouldn't displace anything)

4. Intends to rule the ashes of the Earth through Kryptonian supertechnology.

Lex is a sociopath and narcissicist by my conclusion to the point he doesn't even seem to understand that normal people's reactions to tragedy is PTS on a huge scale. I don't think he's as brilliant as he claims since he seems unable to think past his own ego and understand how people react. Brilliant mathmatical and physics mind, not so much on Psychology and Engineering.

In the films Lex is an opportunist. A manipulator and a con-man. He exploits the sitaution to try and find the best way to profit from it.

That's the common thread in all your examples.

It's closer to the pre-crisis Lex - who was just a crook, not the refined post-crisis Lex.

See, my take on it isn't that Lex Luthor is an opportunist. Lex Luthor is clearly rich and he clearly has the intelligence to make money whatever way he wants. He may do it by seducing an old widow or he might do it through mail fraud. Lex Luthor can get money any way he wants. That's why he's a criminal masterminds.

Instead, I think he likes killing people as his chief motivation. He's as much a killer as the Joker.

Willowhugger said:
Movie 2

Nothing wrong with that... Great weather, cold beer :up:

I think he actually wanted the US.......but after Zod nearly killed him, and earning they're gratitude for telling them Supes plan.....he was rewarded Australia. And, his life...of coruse.

I wouldn't mind Lex having given a bit more craziness to his speach about New Krypton. He should have done the entire world in crystals and suggested as the only man who understood kryptonian tech that all humanity would have no choice but to obey.

He's crazy. A nutter. And he's a genius.
Mentok said:
Nothing wrong with that... Great weather, cold beer :up
And great-looking people.

Willowhugger said:
That's not really a change, Australia is an island nation.

Whatever Lex's motivations, I was pretty disappointed by the amount of interaction between Lex and Superman in this one. They're face to face for less than a few minutes. They have a quick chat, Lex punches Superman, his goons work Superman over, and then Lex stabs him with the kryptonite. That's it. End of Lex's interaction with Superman.

The next time Lex sees Superman, he's carrying NK out of the ocean and doesn't interact with Lex.

That's IT. For as long as that movie was, I was pretty bummed that Lex and Kal El met for less time than Lex spent with Lois. I felt gypped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"