The Dark Knight Rises What happened to the prologue?

Nevincer

Avenger
Reaction score
The way Bane's voice was dubbed over felt comically bad and inconsistent with the rest of the film in my screening IMHO. It completely ruined the first 10 minutes for me, am I the only one who felt this way? I try not to be too hyperbolic but I really was shocked beyond belief how goofy and insincere the new version felt and I'm wondering if other posters could shed some light on what happened here?

I expect not everyone will agree with me as is always the case and someone must have liked it for it to make final cut, but out of everything in the film this was the most jarring for my experience. Anyone else wanna chime in? Legitimate complaints about hearing Bane's voice or not, I'm kind of staggered how they responded with this...

I agree. I didn't see the prologue in the theaters but I saw the bootleg, and the voice was way superior in that version IMO. I was sort of shocked of how they'd changed the voice and I secretly worried about how he'd sound in the rest of the film, but my worries were soon squashed.

Agreed (though I may not have minded if I wasn't spoiled by the advance prologue release). It is beyond me why people were complaining about his voice then and I think it resulted in a change for the worse.

That's what made it even weirder, thankfully Bane was saved by the fact that after the prologue it transitions back to his regular voice which imo is awesome but it also gives a really odd inconsistency between the beginning and the rest of the film. The DVD release really needs to revert the audio imo.

Yeah i felt the exact same way. But i saw it again last night, with the idea in mind..to act as if i never heard the original from back in december. Because i think i got waaaaay too used to the other one. I enjoyed it a lot more this time. At the premier it took me by surprise and took me RIGHT out the movie and then of course the next time Bane showed up, it was back to the voice i loved.

I noticed that the next time they did some dubbing, it was during the first fight between him and Batman. It was a mix of his normal voice and the dubbing. And i actually LOVED it.

The other time was his massive speech about Harvey Dent and Blackgate, etc on the steps. That entire speech was dubbed. It was crystal clear without the darth vader distortion, and once again i gotta say i loved it. Ill be extremely excited to hear what that whole scene was like with his original voice though.

So i take it , that they had too many complaints from the prologue ( i still love the original more but oh well ill adjust). AND for when he's in open areas doing long speeches or where there's a ton of noise (the sewers) they did some overdubbing because the dialogue was very important...and i imagine some ppl wouldn't be able to understand the key moments of his speech.

Here's to hoping they throw it on the blu-ray or trilogy boxset.

No, you are not alone.

Bane's voice in the prologue was a joke. Just a complete and utter mess. Even my girlfriend, who gets on my case all the time for nitpicking movies, turned to me and asked why Bane was a hundred times louder than the CIA clown. His voice may as well have been coming out of the plane's speaker system. And don't even get my started on the dub itself, where Hardy might as well have been voicing the villain in a Saturday morning cartoon. It was flamboyant and over-the-top to the point of distraction, and it all but killed the mood of the scene.

To make matters worse, for the rest of the movie Bane's voice goes back to sounding exactly as it did in the original prologue, making his voice in the first scene all the more jarring and out-of-place.

Last edited:
That's what made it even weirder, thankfully Bane was saved by the fact that after the prologue it transitions back to his regular voice which imo is awesome but it also gives a really odd inconsistency between the beginning and the rest of the film. The DVD release really needs to revert the audio imo.

Nev, the DVD release should include the extra shots but have the original voice and lines.

I never watched the prologue beforehand but when I saw it last night I thought his voice sounded comical. It varies in quality throughout the rest of the movie, with some obvious dubbing.

The scene that bugged me was when he fought Batman in the sewers and he says League of Shadows. It's so ridiculous sounding as it is clearly dubbed in.

The prologue ADR was atrocious. Completely atrocious. As the audience's introduction to Bane it was cringe-worthy. Then, of course, his voice goes back to "normal" for the rest of the film, making the prologue seem even more strange.

I loved the delivery and voice in the original prologue, but the final version was absolutely terrible.

The prologue ADR was atrocious. Completely atrocious. As the audience's introduction to Bane it was cringe-worthy. Then, of course, his voice goes back to "normal" for the rest of the film, making the prologue seem even more strange.

I loved the delivery and voice in the original prologue, but the final version was absolutely terrible.
Exactly how I felt. :up: It's just so bizarre and turns a great introduction to a bad one IMO.

Exactly how I felt. :up: It's just so bizarre and turns a great introduction to a bad one IMO.

And it's not even that they just made it louder, or reduced background noise for the final cut. It was completely re-dubbed, the tone was changed, and the overall delivery was much less ominous, it ended up being sort of playful instead of threatening. His voice went from sounding creepy and intimidating in the original, to flat out funny.

Bane's voice in the prologue is the least of its issues...

In all three movies, the only line I ever had trouble making out was said by Gary Oldman. Weird.

I loved Bane's voice though. I'm going to be talking to my dog like that for weeks.

I was totally fine with his voice, I loved it in fact. Very stuck up and confident. Never once losing his cool. I think it fit him pretty well.

Bane's voice in the prologue is the least of its issues...
It's still annoying as hell, especially when the original version was much better. The new dub would have sucked even if we hadn't seen the prologue back in December. The fact that we did makes it that much worse.

The way Bane's voice was dubbed over felt comically bad and inconsistent with the rest of the film in my screening IMHO. It completely ruined the first 10 minutes for me, am I the only one who felt this way? I try not to be too hyperbolic but I really was shocked beyond belief how goofy and insincere the new version felt and I'm wondering if other posters could shed some light on what happened here?

I expect not everyone will agree with me as is always the case and someone must have liked it for it to make final cut, but out of everything in the film this was the most jarring for my experience. Anyone else wanna chime in? Legitimate complaints about hearing Bane's voice or not, I'm kind of staggered how they responded with this...

100% agree. The voice sounded like it was coming over the PA on the plane. There was no blending of it into the environment.

Because the CIA guy is awful, and Dr. Pavel's "hostage" take reminds me of the scene from BATMAN FOREVER. Annoying acting, annoying screaming, awkward, horribly expository dialogue...

While the ADR may not have been great in the prologue, Bane's voice didn't magically become less silly as the film wore on. It was obviously supposed to be over the top and jarrring, and remained so for most of the moments he spoke.

I'm very satisfied with the voice. Granted it took a few minutes getting used to, but after the first couple of minutes I thought the voice was pretty menacing. And if I hafn't known about all the debate about the voice, I probably wouldn't have thought about it at all.

I'm very satisfied with the voice. Granted it took a few minutes getting used to, but after the first couple of minutes I thought the voice was pretty menacing. And if I hafn't known about all the debate about the voice, I probably wouldn't have thought about it at all.

Agree with this.

The prologue voice is completely ridiculous and inconsistent with the rest of the film, but what made the experience even more jarring was how he goes from the high-pitched version back to the original one for the "crashing this plane" line, and then back to the high-pitch.

I mean...how did Nolan let this slide? It just shows a lack of care to watch this scene and know it got the seal of approval. It couldn't have been that hard to make his voice consistent with the rest of the film.

I mean...how did Nolan let this slide? It just shows a lack of care to watch this scene and know it got the seal of approval. It couldn't have been that hard to make his voice consistent with the rest of the film.
That's the thing that is really making me scratch my head with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"