What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

How about a movie where everyone else knows that Clark is Superman, but HE doesn't know. I don't mean that he naively assumes people won't recognize him behind a pair of glasses. I mean that he literally believes he is two different people.

That would be a new take on Superman.
The first rule of Project Krypton is you do not ask questions.

I agree. And I like the double personality thing. But exactly, why can't he be Superman all the time? I mean, it might be boring, torturing etc, but why exactly it is 'impossible'?

He needs to be Clark Kent in order to maintain and keep his human perspective. One of the great things about Superman is that he's able to view the word as an outsider and as one of the people who walk the Earth.

Superman couldn't handle his duties without having the escape of Clark Kent. Only as Clark can he walk among people as an equal-and unlike Tony Stark or Thor, Superman WANTS to spend time with people as an equal.

This^

I'm sorry but no dual identity is definitely a change that would put me off ever seeing the movie.

I got to admit, I'm perplexed...whenever I read these forums and eveyone is offering their "unique" take on how to fundamentally change Superman..I have to ask....Do you actually, you know..LIKE Superman? Because everyone is eager to alter him, I hve to wonder why everyone is so anxious for a "new take"

By this logic, the flaws in Superman returns shouldn't be a problem for anyone! After all, a whiny, emo stalker is a "new" take on the character, right? Him being a dad? That hasn't been done before! It's unique! Superman the homewrecker? It's more realistic!

You see my point?

The majot problem with Returns was not staying true enough to the tone. looking for some goofy switch where he doesn't have the duel persona is reliving the mistakes of returns all over again...straying from what has worked for half a century.

As for the glasses as a disguise:

People seem to boil this down WAAAY to simply. It's not glasses=disguise. It was never "just" the glasses. Go back and watch Reeve in Superman the movie...can you honestly say the glasses were the ONLY thing that seperated Clark from the Man of Steel? Clarks whole demeanor, personality, body language, mannerisms...THAT is the disguise. The glasses are just part of the costume. I Think Reeves illustrated such a remarkable seperation between the two, you could almost loose the glasses and most people STILL wouldn't recognize him as Superman.

So many people focus on the glasses as if they are the only thing he's doing to seperate the personas that they forget how thoroughly Clark was desinged to be the LAST person you ever suspected was "super".

I got to admit, I'm perplexed...whenever I read these forums and eveyone is offering their "unique" take on how to fundamentally change Superman..I have to ask....Do you actually, you know..LIKE Superman? Because everyone is eager to alter him, I hve to wonder why everyone is so anxious for a "new take"

By this logic, the flaws in Superman returns shouldn't be a problem for anyone! After all, a whiny, emo stalker is a "new" take on the character, right? Him being a dad? That hasn't been done before! It's unique! Superman the homewrecker? It's more realistic!

You see my point?

Not completely. Just because people are asking for a new take, it doesn't mean that ANY new take will do. That's kinda silly.

The major problem with Returns was not staying true enough to the tone. looking for some goofy switch where he doesn't have the duel persona is reliving the mistakes of returns all over again...straying from what has worked for half a century.

I wouldn't say SR was off on it's tone... it just didn't go about it the right way.

But I do agree that getting rid of the dual identity is WAY off on tone. He has two identities. To say that he is ONLY Kal-El and he acts like an ass for the sake of a disguise, I think is an oversight.

To say that he is ONLY Kal-El and he acts like an ass for the sake of a disguise, I think is an oversight.

Sorry for not getting this right away, but are you saying that Reeves potrayal wasn't him "acting like an ass for the sake of disguise" or that it should not be the only interpretation?

Well, I'd agree with the second part...It IS simply one interpretation of how the dual Identity works, and I think a valid one: Clark Kent being just an act Superman uses to hide from the world.

Another different, but equally great interpretation was "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman." He was confident, smooth, and like-able as Clark. In that, Superman was the act. That created and excellent dynamic with his relationship with Lois. Completely different from Reeve's interpretation but no less valid.

I have no issue with exploring different dynamics, or different ways the identities reconcile with each other...but throwing out the duel identity idea because "It's silly that people don't recognize him with the glasses" is, in my humble opinion, NOT the way to capture the spirit of the character.

As far as people wanting different takes go...that's fine too. It's just that some are SO far removed from what made superman what he is, that I can't help but wonder what attracted those people to the character in the first place.

If your movie's superman has no problem killing, has no cape, a different outfit, has a split personality and doesn't know he's not two different people, has a cynical attitude, rebels against law enforcement...(All suggestions I've read on this board) At what point have we re-imagined the character to the point that it's a different character entirely?

Sorry for not getting this right away, but are you saying that Reeves potrayal wasn't him "acting like an ass for the sake of disguise" or that it should not be the only interpretation?

I'm not following completely but I'll try to clarify what I mean. I won't say I'm not a fan of Reeve's portrayal. It's simply classic and it's what I grew up with. But as I get older, I'm wanting more out of Superman than him being Superman sometimes and being a buffoon others. I like the character of Clark Kent from Smallville -- it's where I find myself connecting to the character and I think it's where the GA can find themselves. I would like that aspect of him explored more and the screen time of silly Clark cut down. I think MOS has the potential to do this as he isn't going to need the guise as much being alone in Africa (if he is alone...)

I have no issue with exploring different dynamics, or different ways the identities reconcile with each other...but throwing out the duel identity idea because "It's silly that people don't recognize him with the glasses" is, in my humble opinion, NOT the way to capture the spirit of the character.

As far as people wanting different takes go...that's fine too. It's just that some are SO far removed from what made superman what he is, that I can't help but wonder what attracted those people to the character in the first place.

If your movie's superman has no problem killing, has no cape, a different outfit, has a split personality and doesn't know he's not two different people, has a cynical attitude, rebels against law enforcement...(All suggestions I've read on this board) At what point have we re-imagined the character to the point that it's a different character entirely?

Totally agree. I find his identity to be the most interesting aspect of the character and it's a shame that the general public don't seem to be aware/interested in it. I guess I mostly blame that on the interpretations of the Superman/Goofy Clark that has been seen in the films and that's why I'd like to see it go.

I'd like a Clark that's more fleshed out and has more of a personal life but still has traits of Reeve's performance. Reeve's Clark became more real with each sequel, I think, even as the quality of the series lowered.

I believe that only the clothes that he wears as Clark Kent should be the disguise. There's no need to put on a fake personality. As Superman, he should be more militant. When I think of Superman, I think of a soldier.

Superman is hardly a soldier. That's more Captain America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"