The Official Re-Imagining Clark Kent Thread

^^ I love your take on Clark Kent being a modern geek. That would be really fun to watch and it makes sense. The bumbling guy with glassess routine is very outdated vs a real modern geek who would be believable/relatable and stark contrast with his personality as Superman.

it would be interesting to see how that take would go on film.

My take on Clark Kent would be a bumbler who becomes more assertive, using both Pre and Post crisis attitudes. If they do an origin, that is. If they do an origin I'd have it so that Clark (who has lived in a small town all his life) is not used to the big city and is kind of getting used to the big city and is quite bumbling as he gets used to it he becomes more like his post crisis Clark but still having a touch a bumbling in him.

i just dont want him to be to bumbling like. we dont really need the that take anymore.

not so much bumbling but more shy and a little awkward as he gets used to Metropolis.

not so much bumbling but more shy and a little awkward as he gets used to Metropolis.

If you mean slightly shy and awkward like Lois and Clark that is good. However I'd like that mixed with a competitive spirit ala TAS. He should be respected by Lois as a competitor for stories.

I like that, but I've also had the idea of the first movie being Clark being the bumbling reporter and the 2nd film being Clark realising taht he has to be his own man if he's to have a normal life as well as being Superman.

I like that, but I've also had the idea of the first movie being Clark being the bumbling reporter and the 2nd film being Clark realising taht he has to be his own man if he's to have a normal life as well as being Superman.
The transition would be too hard if he full on bumbling at the start. If he is shy in the first year, that's normal for a lot of people. Then as he knows people better and gets better at his job, he will be confident and respected by others. Assume that a few years pass and he is more established as Superman in the second film. Clark is naturally more established also.

Call it a hunch but the next movie will be WAY more focused on SUPERMAN than Clark the reporter.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie starts off with Superman fully established and already in action.

I think the reporter disguise will get the same treatment as Nolan's 'playboy Bruce' persona in the Batman films.

Call it a hunch but the next movie will be WAY more focused on SUPERMAN than Clark the reporter.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie starts off with Superman fully established and already in action.

I think the reporter disguise will get the same treatment as Nolan's 'playboy Bruce' persona in the Batman films.

They already rumored an established Superman.

That would be a mistake.

They better show how he becomes Superman or the audience just won't care.

Aside from all the legal issues with the origin, I think the suit logic is (for the sake of action), the sooner SUPERMAN appears and starts fighting... the better.

yea i agree with you guys, probably would be nice to be a little shy/awark in first film. but they need to show that clark is strong willed and a good reporter and is going for stories and all that too. It would be great to see lois and clark going after stories and then also working together too down the road over the course of the films.

Also i personally hope we dont start off with him being established superman in this new movie. or if he is its only been maybe a few weeks/few months at most. So we at least see how he landed the job at the planet and came up with the superman persona and costume and all that. So we at least have a little bit of origin stuff there. If we really cant get into much krypton or smallville life stuff. It would just be a big mistake again i say not to show how things come to be this go around.

Last edited:
I've only just noticed this but the differences with STAS Superman and Clark Kent are very subtle, but still makes em a little different so it might knock you a bit.

That's the advantage of a cartoon/comic versus a live action adaption by a director like Nolan that requires some level of believability through logic for this to work.

i said it before i am curious to see how they will go with the clark kent/superman persona.

2bh I think at the moment Nolan will go with the Chris Reeves Clark Kent because thats the most well known but I think once he's gone through the source material he may be a medium between the two, Clark Kent who is assertive like George Reeves, Dean Cain and Post-Crisis but clumsy like Chris Reeves and Birthright

I think it will be more like Singer's reporter Clark.

Donner-inspired, but not slapstick comedy or bumbling. Just a quiet, unassuming guy who fades into the background.

Superman will be the assertive one who flirts with Lois and whatnot.

I wrote this in the casting thread:

This is where I re-invent Clark Kent to a point. I re-invent Clark Kent as more of a true, 21st century-esque "nerd/geek". The witty, dramedy style humor, pop culture knowledge, being a natural klutz just because as Clark Kent he does have to watch what he does physically. Realistically speaking, Clark never would have been able to play sports or really get involved as teen, which is why I always hate incarnations that showed him as some Smallville High stud. He always would have had his guard up, akwardly trying not to stand out. Clark would have turned to activities like writing, hence Journalism, and other "nerdy" nuances. It makes sense this way.

As for Clark Kents look, ditch the over-sized doofus glasses from the movies and apparently Smallville now. It's just cheesy in 70's camp way. One thing Smallville did that I loved was the normal glasses Clark wore in an episode during season 3. I'd go that route. The glasses could be dark rimmed, but normal sized and normal looking. My Clark Kent would wear his hair down. Neat, but down. It's illogical for his hair to be off his forehead as both Clark and Superman. As for clothes, button downs and polo shirts tucked into khakis will do, in any color EXCEPT red, blue, or yellow.

God, I can't go through stumblin, bumbling, campy Clark again. The older I have got, the harder it is to watch that Clark in the movies. Although I would have Clark show up on his first day at the planet stuffy and overdressed, in which Jimmy would make a remark along the lines of "get this man a fedora".

The reason Byrne made Clark a high school athlete was to explain why he's in such good shape. Imagine a Clark who is bookish and nerdy somehow having the body of a greek god and having to explain that to a nosy Lois. It wasn't that he was a stud... just in shape.

I agree with everything else in your post. I take the hair thing the other way, though... It's Clark who should have the hair neatly combed back and Superman who's hair should be a bit fly-away and in his face. It just makes more sense as he's flying around and messing it up with physical activity.

2bh I think at the moment Nolan will go with the Chris Reeves Clark Kent because thats the most well known but I think once he's gone through the source material he may be a medium between the two, Clark Kent who is assertive like George Reeves, Dean Cain and Post-Crisis but clumsy like Chris Reeves and Birthright

Lets hope that this Clark Kent is nothing like Donner's. I hope the only think Nolan takes from the Donner film is the casting style. Leave the rest out. We already had our Donner tribute with Returns and we saw how well that worked out.

The reason Byrne made Clark a high school athlete was to explain why he's in such good shape. Imagine a Clark who is bookish and nerdy somehow having the body of a greek god and having to explain that to a nosy Lois. It wasn't that he was a stud... just in shape.

I agree with everything else in your post. I take the hair thing the other way, though... It's Clark who should have the hair neatly combed back and Superman who's hair should be a bit fly-away and in his face. It just makes more sense as he's flying around and messing it up with physical activity.

Hey, everything you said makes sense and is logical.

i doubt they will have clark be so nerdy/clumsy this go around.

SR's Clark wasn't as extreme as Donner's but still too bumbling imo.

Dean Cain/TAS Clark would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"