What if Galactus looked like this?

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Mr. Dent, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bubbadoom

bubbadoom Well-Known Member

We want him to look like he does in the comics because its a cool design and plenty of movies that have come out since FF2 have proven that the original Kirby design is very workable and would translate perfectly to the screen.

2. fangz

fangz Well-Known Member

but the giant purple man is just so rad. :)

i actually agree pretty much, because it's really more up to the story itself as to whether he works as a threatening villain.
    Like in FF2, if they'd just replaced the big cloud with a real comic book Galactus, that wouldn't have suddenly transformed it into a far better movie. Actually, if they'd done that, can you imagine how much more ridicule and endless complaint we'd be hearing about it still? it would be held up as maybe one of the worst things to ever happen in comic book film history, by us and by everybody out there, the half-imaginary 'general audience'.
    Cloud Galactus didn't work cuz the movie just wasn't written well. I have to go back and rewatch that one and try to break it down to what's truly wrong with it. But it wasn't Cloud Galactus.

I think tho, that having an amorphous being, like a cloud, blob of matter, energy, amoeba type of thing, is not really ever going to capture the threat that Galactus presents. It could be suit the movie fine, and it avoiids the bigger problem of making him giant purple man, but it's never gonna acheive the glory and terror of pulling off the giant purple man. you know what I mean?

The whole threat of something coming and eating an entire world is actually destruction so enormous that it turns out to us as not being scary at all. This happens in comic books whenever they talk about a whole dimension or a universe being wiped out. To me, it's just really easy to not process that, it's like that translates to me, 'okay, this guy is supposed to be really bad, is what they are saying. i get it, he's a villain.'

but it's far less scary or evil than a villain that kills one person or destroys a downtown of some city.

so you've got this semi-abstract threat of the whole planet being eaten, which you could make more real of course by showing it begin to happen to individuals and different other obvious things, but at the root of it, it's a semi-abstract threat. and then using a thing like an amorphous mass, even if it looks vile and scary, I think that just plays to the weakness of this abstraction.

the tree type thing that you posted is better than an amoeba, but I think that what's truly terrifying is if Galactus is a giant purple man. that is terifying. it's like, what? a giant purple man is coming thru space and he is gonna eat you. it's a human face that's gonna eat you. haha. to put it dumbly, but it really is way more terrifying than a blob or a tree monster thing. it's truly scary.

he needs to have a face. and be just awe inspiringly huge to be used to his full potential. the human face is what makes it all so weird and good. it's the face that allows us to draw some form and shape to the thing's character. and i think it's important to be able to project this upon him. not like he needs to act like a human, like you said, he barely really says anything or does anything, he just comes, unavoidably. but even seeing act not act like a human, not do much, that translates to us as even more inhuman than something like an amoeba that when you think about it, is the truly more inhuman thing.
    when there's an amoeba, you just don't even care what it's thinking. it could be thinking a million things just like we do, but in the context of a story, who cares?

but that's what the tricky part is, becuz it depends entirely on tone, not just of the scenes he's involved in but of everything up to him, whether anyone can pull that off or not. but if anyone does pull that off, they're gonna have a mindblowing movie right there. other ways could work great too, but for me, gimme the giant purple man.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. fangz

fangz Well-Known Member

amoebas or blob things are great for him in one sense tho, becuz they can kind of embody that mindless drive to consume. which is truly what Galactus is. and if Galactus was actually here on earth, next to us, overflowing, and growing, consuming, unstoppably, that would work a lot better. or if he was somehow eating the entire universe on the way here, so there was like a claustrophobia about his impending arrival, that emptiness was closing in upon us, inevitably, that'd work too.

but that's not really what happens with him. so I think especially amoeba or cloud/energy form is maybe the worst way to go with him. i guess what i mean basically, is that there's no point to amoeba/energy/cloud unless you see it in action.

all depends on the movie tho, like i'm sure everyone can agree on that part about it.

4. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

The pic reminded me of Groot!

5. Lord

Lord All Mighty

6. The Overlord

The Overlord Well-Known Member

You know, I am kinda of split on whether the comic book Galactus would work on screen or not, I think it could, but it could require some revamping, its not simple cut and paste from the comics, that wouldn't work.

However I am not married to the comic book look, I would like something more impressive then a cloud.

7. fangz

fangz Well-Known Member

yeah i stand by all the rational in my earlier post, but i went back and looked at the giant purple tree and that would actually be pretty scary.

not as scary as a giant purple man,
    but giant purple tree could maybe get the job done.

8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

That sounds Good.

Maybe like this:
    [​IMG]

9. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

I have yet to see an alternative to humanoid Galactus that is an improvement. Humanoid Galactus looks the most threatening, and overall just alot cooler then a tree, Gah Lak tus or a tornado. When it comes to the devouring of planets they need to get creative. I have nothing wrong with his appearance changing throughout the film if they ned that to work. Most importantly, I want to see him be an actual character and not a mute power force.

If an idea comes along that actually improves on the idea, then by all means use it. But no reason to go out of their way just to change it. 616 Galactus can work, and he's an intimidating mother ****er.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  10. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

11. wobbly

wobbly Occasional Scribbler

The game version was damned impressive.

The only thing I think I'd change is to lose the 'half-mask' element about it: Maybe have his whole face 'skinned' in the same material as the armor, sorta like how the Surfer is 'coated' (I'd also lose those extended 2 cylinder bits they put either side of his chin).

Would still allow for full human facial expression but makes him more alien, raceless, and less overtly comic-booky all in one go.

12. fantastic fifth

fantastic fifth ...just in case...

WOW - LOVE this

13. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

This was a early Concept of Galactus for FF2. What could have been...
    This is how I imagine a Humanoid Cinematic Galactus.

14. OriginalMiles

OriginalMiles Well-Known Member

I really like the Galactus design in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

Very alien-like imo.

(Also, wasn't Galactus human-like before he became Galactus? 'Cos that makes his human-like appearance make sense.)

15. KevanG

KevanG Pragmatic Villain

[​IMG]

Way back from an old issue of Wizard. :p

16. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Wait so you preferred the giant cloud right? That statement doesn't make any sense.

17. Lord

Lord All Mighty

To be fair, they made it a cloud because they thought he was so too big to be revealed in his first appearance, so they wanted to do the full revelation in the silver surfer movie

18. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

I contend that he's frightening and believable enough as he is.

[​IMG]

19. bubbadoom

bubbadoom Well-Known Member

This is all he needs to be...as Kirby intended him to be...

20. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

Seriously. Give him a good intro with narration, explain that everyone sees him as a terrible, cosmic reflection of their own kind, lose the ****ing big G on his belt buckle, tone down the four color blue and purple and you're good to go.

21. Saitou Hajime

Saitou Hajime Well-Known Member

The recent issue of "God of Thunder" shows us how to make a giant purple god work:

[​IMG]

22. Donut

Donut Well-Known Member

Galactus will show up in the end credits scene & look like this

[​IMG]

23. Superwoman Prime

Superwoman Prime Damaged Beyond Repair

Galactus' form depends on the collective culture of different species. He can appear radically different to us than he does to aliens across the galaxy.

24. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

25. Gabe99

Gabe99 Well-Known Member