What if Star Wars wasn't made in the 70's?

That argument is like saying saying "Clare Danes has a big nose, Barbara Streisand has a big nose".
Yes, they both have big noses, but which one would you rather f***?
For some reason, there's something about Clare Danes that I like. :o

no... what i'm saying is that what people complain about regarding the prequel trilogy, the original trilogy is guilty of just as much.
Then you're not understanding me, 'cause I know that.

Yes, there is corny dialogue/cheezy acting/poor logic in both trilogies (yes, both Clare Danes and Barbara Streisand have big noses)
But in the prequels (barbara streisand), those are just another attribute of an altogether hideous thing, a thing that is hideous for many reasons besides the big nose...whereas in the good trilogy (Clare Danes) they are something you acknowledge, but it doesn't come anywhere near marring the beauty, in fact you may think it's cute.

no... what i'm saying is that what people complain about regarding the prequel trilogy, the original trilogy is guilty of just as much.

it's like saying "claire daines has a big nose now, but i would have F'd the S out of her back in the day."

yes, the original Trilogy is tied to context 20 years in the past, the Prequels have NO excuse:whatever:

well yeah, i guess you didn't understand your comparison then...

i'm just saying both were bad in the same ways, and good in the same ways. people just like to complain about them, and i don't understand why.

i'm just saying both were bad in the same ways, and good in the same ways.
No, not at all. For instance:

1) the sexual tension/romance between Han Solo and Leia is sizzling and explosive. The "sexual tension"/"romance" between Anakin and Padme is awkward and embarrassing to the point of being hard to watch.

2) There is not one cute kid character in the OT. Little Anakin is really, really consistently bad all the way through.

3) The OT has a cynical, loveable-rogue nay-sayer with a sense of humor everyman in Han Solo. All the characters in the Prequels are humorless, pious, dry, serious uncool people.

4) There are no fart jokes in SW/ESB/ROTJ. No. Farts.
No, slipping in poo. No attempt to appeal to 2-3 year olds.

5) No healthy person in the OT dies of a broken heart.

Screw it, I could go on all day.

I agree that it wouldn't have had anywhere near the impact, however, let's look at how Star Wars absence from that period would have affected filmmaking now. Perhaps it would have taken longer for that type of entertainment to become not only popular but marketable. Without Star Wars, there would be no Raiders, and without Raiders, who knows what we would be missing. Would we have Back to the Future or LOTR or any other sci-fi/epic/fantasy films? Or would we still have those films? Would they be as popular? Would they even have a chance of being made?

There is no question that Star Wars opened up the door for Sci-Fi blockbusters and such. But I'm sure that if it wasn't made, that door still would have eventually been opened...if not Star Wars than some other blockbuster, groundbreaking movie. Sci-Fi was around before Star Wars....it just wasn't done very well. All it would have took was one of those movies to "do it right" and we would be talking about that movie instead of Star Wars. Would we still have LOTR, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones. Who's to say. I don't think anyone could answer that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"