What is are the details/chronology of Bruce's training?

Tojo

Sidekick
Reaction score
In Morrisions latest issue(good issue imo) it's said he spent 2 years with the league of assassins/shadows, and 6 months with some organisation in North Africa. So he came back to Gotham when he was 25, but when did he leave Gotham and what did he do in those intervening years. I'm looking for both official information(i.e what has been written) and some basic speculation.

Morrison seems to be combining the movie continuity with the comics.

Bruce did a lot of training before he was 18, with people like the magician/escapist Zatarra (Zatanna's father) and boxer Ted (the JSA hero Wildcat) Grant. He left Gotham around age 18 and tried to join the FBI. That didn't work out, and after about six weeks he didn't feel he could make a difference. So he went overseas. He sought out world famous detective/manhunter Henri Ducard, who he thought could teach him some more hands-on stuff. At some point he trained with assassin/interpol agent David Cain (father of Cassandra Cain, the most recent Batgirl). He also underwent martial arts education with Shiva and The Sensei, a man named Tsunemoto, martial artist Richard Dragon, and god knows how many other martial artists. He trained with master Shao-La for a time as well. And there was some time he spent with a Native American Shaman right before he returned to Gotham City.

The "League of Shadows" thing is new to the Batman comics continuity, and clearly drawn from the movie's version of the story.

Yeah, there's never been mention of that before, it's trying to bring the movies into continuity.

The Guard has pretty much given all the information, the actual chronology details are sketchy. He went to law school for a while I believe as well.

I hate when the comic books start changing continuity by taking stuff from the movies. The movies should have no influence on the comic books. Not like that.

I hate when the comic books start changing continuity by taking stuff from the movies. The movies should have no influence on the comic books. Not like that.

It's not the films but does that mean it was a mistake for Harley Quinn to exist in the comics (I'll admit I'm not current these days)? Also in Superman for the crystal technology not exist? 'Cos I think other formats can and should be an influence if it is good and if it would work in the comics. I don't think there should be a hard and fast rule against influence. Just my thought on the matter.

I do want to add that his training in the comics should be separate to the film preferably just to be contrary. Also because they are different worlds and realities. I don't think training in an Asian prison would be sensible. Also he has other people to think about I presume (as stated I'm not current).

Angeloz

Absolutely. But it started in 1943 when Alfred became thin because of the first Batman serial.

But so it just seems like the movie version is "superior" to the comics and so they have to follow, or something like that.

Batman trained by the League of Shadows(have they changed the name, too?) doesn't make sense.

Morrison seems to be combining the movie continuity with the comics.

Bruce did a lot of training before he was 18, with people like the magician/escapist Zatarra (Zatanna's father) and boxer Ted (the JSA hero Wildcat) Grant. He left Gotham around age 18 and tried to join the FBI. That didn't work out, and after about six weeks he didn't feel he could make a difference. So he went overseas. He sought out world famous detective/manhunter Henri Ducard, who he thought could teach him some more hands-on stuff. At some point he trained with assassin/interpol agent David Cain (father of Cassandra Cain, the most recent Batgirl). He also underwent martial arts education with Shiva and The Sensei, a man named Tsunemoto, martial artist Richard Dragon, and god knows how many other martial artists. He trained with master Shao-La for a time as well. And there was some time he spent with a Native American Shaman right before he returned to Gotham City.

The "League of Shadows" thing is new to the Batman comics continuity, and clearly drawn from the movie's version of the story.

So does that mean all of those people know bruce is batman?

Batman trained by the League of Shadows(have they changed the name, too?) doesn't make sense.

Although it has only been introduced into current continuity i really like this idea. It wasn't particularly well excecuted in Batman Begins, but still.

However it may not make sense when one reads all other Ra's stories.

Oh, and thankyou Guard for the info.

Although it has only been introduced into current continuity i really like this idea. It wasn't particularly well excecuted in Batman Begins, but still.

However it may not make sense when one reads all other Ra's stories.

Oh, and thankyou Guard for the info.

And that's the problem. In BB I hated that the League of Shadows basically CREATED Batman. But in the new comic continuity at least that is not the case, so it seems. And yes, it totally messes up the classics.

And that's the problem. In BB I hated that the League of Shadows basically CREATED Batman. But in the new comic continuity at least that is not the case, so it seems. And yes, it totally messes up the classics.

They really didn't create him they just molded him in BB.

It's not the films but does that mean it was a mistake for Harley Quinn to exist in the comics (I'll admit I'm not current these days)?

Harley's introduction didn't change anything in Joker's continuity. They brought her in during 'No Man's Land'. Dini did her origin in the 'Batman: Harley Quinn' TPB, which is set during NML.

So, it wasn't like they were claiming Harley's been with Joker for years.

Training

Bruce Wayne swore an oath to rid the city of the evil that had taken his parents' lives. He spent his youth traveling the world, training himself to intellectual and physical perfection and learning a variety of crime-fighting skills, including chemistry, criminology, forensics, martial arts, gymnastics, and disguise.
At age 15, Bruce Wayne began his global sojourn, attending courses at Cambridge, the Sorbonne, and other European universities. However, he never stayed long and would often drop out after one semester. Beyond academia, Wayne acquired more "practical" skills.
While abroad, Wayne learned 127 major styles of combat, from Aikido to Yaw-Yan to Ninjitsu. Frenchman Henri Ducard made him an apprentice in manhunting. The ninja Kirigi, and other ninja shadow masters, schooled Wayne in stealth and the ways of the shadow warrior. African Bushman (the Ghost Tribes of the Ten-eyed Brotherhood, among others) taught hunting techniques, while Nepalese monks revealed healing arts. He even learned ventriloquism from practioners of the art. His knowledge of so many varied disciplines has made Wayne an unconventional and unpredictable opponent. When he was 20, he attempted to join the FBI, but he learned it would be impossible to fight crime and evil within the legal system.

Peak Physical Condition: Through intense training, specialized diet, and biopathic feedback treatments, The Batman represents the pinnacle of human physical prowess. His physical attributes exceed that of any Olympic level athlete that has ever competed. His strength, speed, stamina, agility, reflexes and coordination are at peak human perfection. Batman began his physical and mental conditioning when he was 11 and then intense physical training and weight lifting at age 12. He has mastered full body control by the time he was 18. Wayne abstains entirely from drinking alcohol, though he presents Bruce Wayne, his alter ego, as a borderline alcoholic (he creates this illusion by drinking ginger ale and pretending it is champagne). Batman's refusal to drink is directly linked to keeping his body in its absolute best physical condition.

Martial Arts Master: Batman has learned 127 major styles of combat outside the United States. He trained in the US for various martial arts for 3 years. He became 2st and 3nd degree black belt in Karate, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido by the time he was 17. At age 18, he left US to further study martial arts under specialized masters. Proficient black belt of various master degrees in Savate (kickboxing) and Kung Fu. He studied commando style operations with small mercenary units. He has mastered combat training and blind fighting. Batman has been highly trained, and become proficient in, all of the world's most lethal martial arts. While abroad he also mastered Ninjitsu, Muay Thai, Kobudo, Yaw-Yan, Dragon Style Kung Fu, & Tae Kwon Do. He has also been trained by Wildcat, who is formerly the Heavyweight Champion of the World, in the art of Boxing. Superman has him listed as a Class 12 fighter, whereas Karate Kid is listed as a Class 15 fighter. Batman thinks he's much better than Karate Kid and has even fought him to a stand still. Batman has learned many fighting styles, but his primary form of combat is an idiosyncratic admixture of Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Karate, Boxing, Kung Fu, and Ninjitsu. All of these martial arts mastered make Batman in the top 5 premier martial artists of the DC Universe and only a handful of non-metas are capable of stopping him.

• Weapons Master: Through his martial arts training, he has become an expert on many types of weaponry. His weapons specialties include swords, nunchuks, daggers, sai, bo staffs, bat-shaped shuriken, kali sticks and many others. Proficient at knife throwing, Escrima, & melee weapons mastery, having mastered Kobudo. Was trained and became proficient with all small arms. He soon learned expanded melee weapon techniques and he has learned expanded weapon/device sciences. He still practices during his combat sessions to keep his skills intact, though he prefers unarmed combat.

• Master of Stealth: His Ninjitsu training has made him a master at stealth capable of breaching high security facilities with ease and without being detected, even by Superman and an army of White Martians.

• Expert Marksman: due to his training in Ninjitsu, Batman almost never misses his targets 7/10 times he's succesful. He has been practicing accuracy since the early days of his training and is almost on par with the Green Arrow in terms of accuracy.
Genius-Level Intellect: Batman is a brilliant, virtually peerless, detective, strategist, scientist, tactician, and commander; he is widely regarded as one of the keenest analytical minds [5] on the planet. Given his lack of superpowers, he often uses cunning and planning to outwit his foes, rather than simply "out-fighting" them.

• Polymath: He has studied Biology, Technology, Mathematics, Physics, Mythology, Geography, & History. Gained degrees in Criminal Science, Forensics, Computer Science, Chemistry and Engineering by the time he was 19. He has mastered Diverse Environmental Training, Security Systems, and illusion/sleight of hand by the time he was 23. He gained even more degrees in Advanced Biology, Advanced Physics, Advanced Chemistry, and Technology by the time he was 25. He has learned Forensic, Medical Sciences, Expanded Computer and Engineering Sciences, and Expanded Device Pool, use of personal powered armor and system, database creation on underworld crime bosses, rogue's gallery foes and other supers; improved material sciences for body armor and micro-machinery by the time he was 26. Has also learned Advanced New Development in Forensic and Medical Sciences.

• Master Detective: He is widely considered as the World's Greatest Detective, capable of observation, forensic investigation, and inductive and deductive reasoning of the highest caliber. Human intuition is an unlearnable trait and one of Batman's most effective tools. Given any mystery, he can arrive at any conclusions with a fraction of the data.

• Multi-lingual: He is able to speak Spanish, French, Latin, German, Japanese, English, Russian, Cantonese, Mandarin, and possibly more.

• Master Tactician and Strategist: He commonly utilizes cunning tactics to outwit his foes. He is a very good leader and at times commands the Justice League and the Outsiders. Having learned the "Art Of War" by Sun Tzu, Batman can formulate amazing strategies.

• Escapologist: He has been described as second only to Mister Miracle as an escape artist. He has been seen escaping from a posey straitjacket in less than 52 seconds and remarked afterwards thats way too slow for him. He is able to use a ballpoint pen to escape from a straitjacket with chains wrapped around him. Has even boasted that he could use a ballpoint pen to pick the locks at Fort Knox.

• Aviation: Has been seen flying the various versions of the Batplanes with ease and flying a helicopter. Thanks to Maritan Manhunter, Batman has full knowledge of how to pilot a Martian Carrier Spaceship.

• Photographic Memory: Batman has total recall and can remember things in great detail.

• Expert Hunter: Trained in hunting techniques by African Bushmen(the Ghost Tribes of the Ten-eyed Brotherhood, among others).

• Master of Disguise: Has mastered the art of disguise by the time he was 23. Has further learned Expanded Disguise techniques by the time he was 26. Batman has many aliaes he uses to infiltrate the underworld or just to go undercover in public situations. His current aliases are: Matches Malone, Thomas Quigley, Ragman, Detective Hawke, Sir Hemingford Grey, Frank Dixon, Gordon Selkirk, and Mr. Fledermaus.

• Expert Mechanic and Vehicular Driver: Proficient at combat driving. Has learned improved vehicle designs. Was trained and proficient in basic vehicles operations.

ALL OF YOU FOLKS NEED TO REALIZE (AND YOU GUYS THAT ARE REAL bat-freaks already do) THE LEAGUE OF SHADOWS IS CRAP...

ras al ghul was involved w/ LEAGUE OF ASSASINS (who were as dark as ninjas & trained Bruce Wayne)

denny oneil never intended his creation (the league of assasins) to be changed...

THE LEAGUE OF SHADOWS was different & modernized the batman mythos...

I AM AND ALWAYS WILL BE OF THE OPINION THAT batman begins should have featured the league of assasins

ALL OF YOU FOLKS NEED TO REALIZE (AND YOU GUYS THAT ARE REAL bat-freaks already do) THE LEAGUE OF SHADOWS IS CRAP...

ras al ghul was involved w/ LEAGUE OF ASSASINS (who were as dark as ninjas & trained Bruce Wayne)

denny oneil never intended his creation (the league of assasins) to be changed...

THE LEAGUE OF SHADOWS was different & modernized the batman mythos...

I AM AND ALWAYS WILL BE OF THE OPINION THAT batman begins should have featured the league of assasins

But doesn't the word "assassin" kind of give it away that they're not good and in fact are bad? Just a thought. ;)

Angeloz

If I remember correctly, in The Man Who Falls, he went to many different campus' but never stayed too long, seeked knowledge from almost every he could, then at age 20, he tried to become FBI, that didn't work out so that night he boarded a plane to Korea and headed up to Mt Paektu-san and trained under Master Kirigi, after that went to France and met Ducard, then was rescued by some Indian Shaman, and finally came back to Gotham.

Tojo, well done on posting that information, it was a really good read.

Basically he got fit, got fight, then got skills. Conversely however, when he trained Dick and Tim they learnt the skills incredibly quickly. Jason however had to learn more after his resurection and yet still wasn't quite a physical or mental match for The Dark Knight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"