What the genre is missing!

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
I'm HAPPY that nowadays filmmakers are taking the material a little more seriously and also adapting darker comics like Blade. However...sometimes I miss some of the more light-hearted stuff we got back in the day like:

Ninja Turtles
[YT]3Urnzz-eXO8[/YT]

Dick Tracy
[YT]dAHj3IsSuT0[/YT]

The Flash - TV Series
[YT]br2hXBhgLVY[/YT]

Lois & Clark - TV Series
[YT]u1ZVRm1KcZY[/YT]

The Mask
[YT]fYYq2h4JXMw[/YT]

Men in Black
[YT]zv35TyeRb9M[/YT]

That Flash series was actually pretty dark for it's time, and when compared to the source material...

That Flash series was actually pretty dark for it's time, and when compared to the source material...

Gonna have to re-watch the show. :csad: But, anyway, I just think someone should make a light-hearted superhero movie or tv show. The stuff we have gotten recently has been great and all but something light-hearted to balance the serious and dark stuff could be good. I know the Fantastic Four movies tried that but it didn't really work. Something like Jim Carrey's The Mask could be cool to balance serious stuff like Nolan's Batman movies.

the genre could use a touch lighter fare

the genre could use a touch lighter fare

Or atleast a lighter fare that actually works. Marvel tried with the Fantastic Four movies, but it didn't work. Maybe that Ant Man movie they are making will be the one. :huh:

I say No, we don't need anymore of that except for animated movies. We already got Fantastic Four and a sequel. Look how those did compared to the majority of recent comic films.

They did alright, especially the first one but I think you should leave the cheesy lighter fair to the animated films.

I say No, we don't need anymore of that except for animated movies. We already got Fantastic Four and a sequel. Look how those did compared to the majority of recent comic films.

They did alright, especially the first one but I think you should leave the cheesy lighter fair to the animated films.

I agree. We can't have so much cheesy, light-hearted content/moments in this genre. I mean, funny cartoons are fine, but come on, these aren't for kids, and they need to be taken seriously. They are films, art, and damn it the exploits of comic book superhero isn't a subject that should be taken lighty.

TMNT is still one of my fave movies! I agree, it would be great to get some good *emphasis on GOOD* lighthearted comic movies. Like what Enchanted did for that genre of Disney movie.

I don't think there really is a defined, delineated line between the "light" movies of yore and the "dark movies" or today.

There were plenty of dark movies back then, from Burton's Batman films to The Crow to Darkman. Even the first Turtles was dark despite its wisecracking heroes; watch it again if you haven't in a while.

There was also a lot of more light-hearted stuff that also happened to be absolute crap, like Steel.

Likewise, I think there have been enough light-hearted stuff in the last few years, definitely enough to satisfy me at least. The Incredibles, Sky High, I really enjoyed those. The Fantastic Four movies, regardless of their quality (which is minimal), were light. Even the Spider-Man movies, despite all the death and serious themes, have remained on the lighter side of the spectrum (though 3 definitely skewed much darker).

If the material calls for it, go for it. I think Transformers was a perfect example of proper tone; and I hope (wish) G.I. Joe would follow suit instead of trying to be the Saving Private Ryan of toys. But I definitely wouldn't alter darker source material to fit a lighter movie. The Mask and MIB were both guilty of that; though they both turned out great and really fun movies, specifically in the case of The Mask I wouldn't mind seeing a new one closer in tone to the books (though that possibility is all but shot to bad place following Son of the Mask - the character is now forever engrained as a family movie character).

There were plenty of dark movies back then, from Burton's Batman films to The Crow to Darkman.

That's my point. There was a balance between the dark and light movies. Nowadays there really isn't that...on a quality level. Some studios and filmmakers have attempted to make some light-hearted flicks but they sucked!

Even the first Turtles was dark despite its wisecracking heroes; watch it again if you haven't in a while.

Yea, the first movie had its moments of darkness. It was a nice combination of the comics and cartoon series.

I think there have been enough light-hearted stuff in the last few years, definitely enough to satisfy me at least. The Incredibles, Sky High, I really enjoyed those. The Fantastic Four movies, regardless of their quality (which is minimal), were light. Even the Spider-Man movies, despite all the death and serious themes, have remained on the lighter side of the spectrum (though 3 definitely skewed much darker).

The Incredibles was good. And the Fantastic Four movies aren't as bad as people make them out to be, but we haven't gotten anything as awesome as The Mask and Men in Black. And the Spider-Man franchise is light-hearted compared to Batman and X-Men but it still has its drama.

I'm HAPPY that nowadays filmmakers are taking the material a little more seriously and also adapting darker comics like Blade. However...sometimes I miss some of the more light-hearted stuff we got back in the day like:
that's why we need Deadpool
but it would be a tad violent, though...but funny

You know what the genre is missing? kitty. That's right, I said it. Screw the Daredevil theatrical cuts sex scene, what I want to know is, in R-Rated 80's throwback Punisher, why did we not get to see Tom Jane boning his wife on the beach? Huh?!?!? HUH!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

You know what the genre is missing? kitty.

I agree! The genre could use some nudity, dammit! :cmad: We got some good stuff in Sin City and 300. I think if Frank Miller had Scarlett Johnansson nude in that Spirit movie it will make up for the lack of boobs we've gotten in the genre so far. :o

The Batman comics in the late 80's and early 90's were full of boobies..

Something like a Deadpool movie is what I think the genre needs...It would be different from a lot of other comic book movies...Also I thought the first Ninja Turtles Movie (one of my favorites BTW) was kinda dark, it had humor but it definitely wasnt as playful and cuddly as the two ones after that.

It really depends on what the source material is. Batman, The Hulk, The Punisher, or Daredevil, for example, can't really be that light hearted and claim to be faithful. Spider-Man or Fantastic Four, on the other hand, can have a blend of lightness and seriousness, but it's a fine line to walk. Go too far in one direction, you get the **** that was the FF movies. And of course, stuff like Deadpool or She-Hulk, should be fairly light.

The Batman comics in the late 80's and early 90's were full of boobies..

:heart:

It really depends on what the source material is. Batman, The Hulk, The Punisher, or Daredevil, for example, can't really be that light hearted and claim to be faithful.

In regards to Batman it depends on the era. Believe it or not but Batman & Robin was actually faithful to the comics!

The problem with the Dick Tracy movie is that there is no action in it-!! What the bad place was Beatty thinking?

'Dark' is the most popular word in Hollywood these days, after 'franchise'.

With regards to lighter comicbook movies....Rocketeer and The Shadow are two of the very best in the genre. The Shadow is stylistically dark, but it's fun dark. It's not cynical dark like Spawn. It's really a light movie.

the_shadow.jpg

The_Shadow_on_bridge.jpg

shadowm1.jpg

The Shadow knows-!!

:heart:

In regards to Batman it depends on the era. Believe it or not but Batman & Robin was actually faithful to the comics!

It depends actually on almost always on the era of a hero. Daredevil, when he startet, Hulk (of course Hulk can be lighthearted). THe Punisher was actually a spider-man-villain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"