What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The autopsy of Jane Doe

Up_%282009_film%29.jpg

BlacKkKlansman. Lee's best since Inside Man. A well-made comedy thriller that carries all the rage of his usual output without getting weighed down in it.

the-dark-tower-poster.jpg

The Dark Tower (2017)

Sigh. I've been putting this off for a long time, being a massive fan of the books and knowing full well what a clusterfork of a movie this ended up being... Yeah, it was even worse than I imagined. Congrats Sony, you managed to take Stephen King's brilliant, complex, epic and frequently moving magnum opus and warp it into something resembling a crappy, basic, generic YA novel. And worse, a boring, crappy, basic, generic YA novel. How can a movie that is only 90 minutes long feel like it's dragging so much??

Who's bright idea was it to cast Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black? One of the coolest and most interesting, enigmatic villians in the world of literature is completely robbed of his mystery and personality and somehow becomes a smug, perma-tanned, oily, preening hipster that looks and sounds like he'd fit in better in the Twilight films. Ugh. Where was Jake Chambers? Because the boy character in this movie certainly wasn't Jake Chambers, he was literally nothing like the character from the books at all.

Everything about this movie made me shake my head, as an adaptation it fails on every level. The sole thing that was even slightly decent was Idris Elba's performance, but even he didn't really work for me. He played a vaguely interesting character, but that character was not Roland Deschain, pure and simple. Roland of Gilead is one of my favourite literary characters of all time, I hate to see him relegated to a vastly less complex and interesting glorified supporting character like this. I wouldn't be totally against Elba playing him again (he certainly has the intensity and gravitas that the character requires), but only in a completely rebooted movie or TV series that has vastly better writing, direction and respect of the source material than this.

Yeah, I really hated this movie. :oldrazz:

I still haven’t plucked up the courage to see that. :(

The name Akiva Goldsman was enough to make me avoid trying this movie. He's brilliantly awful as a Batman writer, but plain awful in writing most other things.

Sierra Burgess Is a Loser (2018)

It's not great but it is a decent Predator movie with a couple of decent action sequences and a cool premise of transporting the hunted group of killers to a gaming reserve planet.

7/10

It's not great but it is a decent Predator movie with a couple of decent action sequences and a cool premise of transporting the hunted group of killers to a gaming reserve planet.

7/10
I loved every minute of it, calling it decent is spot on.

I love the books too much not too.
These films could have been huge in the right hands. They have a large following and many of those who haven't read them at least know about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"