What was wrong with the current trilogy?

The only thing wrong with the trilogy was the entirety of X-Men 3. Killing off all those characters was just ridiculous. The entire plot was ridiculous! The beginning in the Danger Room was very nice though....

I always thought the first movie was basically the perfect X-Men movie. It really nailed the relationships between the characters which was something the later ones didn't do quite as well plus Cyclops is pretty awesome in it. Wolverine's claws look incredibly real throughout the whole movie. The action was pretty team orientated with Cyclops giving off the commands as the leader. The 2nd movie was a great movie with Nightcrawler stealing the show but that one delves more into the individual characters especially Wolverine and Jean. Anyways, basically the only problems with the trilogy is the huge focus on Wolverine in 2 and 3 and the execution was incredibly poor in number 3 as well as killing everyone off.

my gripes:

casting Halle Berry as Storm (she just doesn't embody the strong african female that Storm is). Hell, the actress that played the mom on The Cosby Show would have been a better fit if she wasn't too old for the part. Halle is just too damn soft, and obviously, lacked the African accent

Anna Paquin as Rogue (again, not a strong enough accent and a horrible Rogue). Where was her ability to fly?............BLUNDER

Yes, the Black Leather suits. HATED THEM! and don't even try convincing me the comic book costumes wouldn't work on screen, because done correctly, THEY DAMN WELL COULD!!!!! Waste of time to try to convince me otherwise (both the X fanchise and all of Batman's franchise's lacked the comicbook accurate suits, I'm still waiting on a franchise that bring's me these).

that's just the first two films, I could write a book on the flaws of X3 and XOW; so I just disregard those films all together, they don't exist IMHO

there's just X1 and X2 to me, and until Fox lose's the rights, that's all there will ever be

'cept you acknowledged the fact that The Last Stand and Origins existed, so the whole denial trip is moot

my gripes:

casting Halle Berry as Storm (she just doesn't embody the strong african female that Storm is). Hell, the actress that played the mom on The Cosby Show would have been a better fit if she wasn't too old for the part. Halle is just too damn soft, and obviously, lacked the African accent

I agree 100%.

I think they should reboot the entire thing, especially now that spiderman and superman are being rebooted.

The thing with the last cast is they were good(ish) actors/actresses, but they just didn't have the viciousness needed. They beautified the film to the max. Why the hell was Hugh Jackman smiling in them. Remember the second movie, when he killed the peeps that broke into the school? That viciousness is what was missing in most scenes.

Halle was waaaaaay too soft (weak) to be Storm. She's a good actress, but again, i think it was beyond he control for the character to be beautified.

and that's another gripe of mine

The X Men franchise needs a reboot far more than the Spiderman franchise needed one (they should have continued with Spidey 4 and rebooted X Men)

but the exact opposite happened, wich is just flat out BULL F'NG SPIT if I've ever heard one.

omg!!! it wasn't Halle's fault why Storm was written the way she was in X1-X2 the problem was Singer or the writers didnt undertsand her character

Personally i think Singer does not like the character or Berry because a chunk of her scenes were taking out in X1 and in X2 Berry expressed her concern w/Storm on X2 and from what I heard her and Singer had a few words...so you can't blame Halle for giving Storm a presence and story...in X3 we got the warrior in Storm but lost the softness that I liked in X1 & X2 because Storm is a mother figure...

the problem w/this franchise was their were a lot of characters mishandled and mislead

the problem w/this franchise was their were a lot of characters mishandled and mislead

YES! EXACTLY!!!!! Couldn't Agree More with this

we need an X Men franchise where the writers and director actually understand the characters

omg!!! it wasn't Halle's fault why Storm was written the way she was in X1-X2 the problem was Singer or the writers didnt undertsand her character

Personally i think Singer does not like the character or Berry because a chunk of her scenes were taking out in X1 and in X2 Berry expressed her concern w/Storm on X2 and from what I heard her and Singer had a few words...so you can't blame Halle for giving Storm a presence and story...in X3 we got the warrior in Storm but lost the softness that I liked in X1 & X2 because Storm is a mother figure...

I think how Storm was scripted was partially to blame, but I can honestly say that X3 is the only movie of the three that I couldn't stand Halle's acting in. The fact that she dropped any attempt at an accent, coupled with cheesy visual gags (like waiting for someone to comment on the weather, before a crane shot of her looking to the heavens) and just a bad bit of characterization for her in general, I think they all just rubbed me the wrong way as a whole.

Overall, I thought that it was fantastic! However, I was disappointed with Singer leaving. Although, was fine with the trilogy not following the comics very closely, I'm sure that others didn't like this decision. Also, (this is a minor point) it seemed a bit redundant character-wise, since most of them seemed outwardly "normal", (I would've liked more characters that are visually unique, like Apocalypse) and the 3 characters that they did choose to represent this (Mystique, Nightcrawler, Beast) followed a boring pattern; all had blue skin. A little more creativity, in my opinion could have greatly helped the trilogy.

I think it was just a coincidence that those three characters were used to represent diverse mutations, but you can't blame them for picking those three popular characters above other options. I would've liked to see characters like Strong Guy or Marrow, who would really stand out in a crowd, but we got a bit of that with Angel in the third one, and the possibility of Darwin sounds like it could continue that trend.

I agree with the Halle issue she doesn't fit the role of the Storm I knew from X-Men. I watched X2 again not too long ago and the scene where she was walking down the stairs---I'm like "Who's that hot blonde?" Then I realize it's Storm...the hell?

But my biggest beef with Trilogy is X3, The Phoenix Saga! Never read the comics, but I grew up watching the TV series, the (Dark) Phoenix Saga was my all time favourite, but X3 did not do justice to Jean Grey at all. The Phoenix Saga had so much potential, but arghhh. And they only referred to Jean as the Phoenix once in the entire film LOL

I throughly enjoyed the triolgy

X1 is still my favorite and x2 followed by x3

X1 was just awsome , The way that Wolverine was the way were introduced to the X men was perfect , not to mention Jackmans Wolverine was spot on IMO

Cyclops actually had decent screentime , though i wish i saw more action of him.Jean Grey was great as well, yeah Hale Berry was the weak link in this movie and throughout the triology but it wasn't anything that really bogged the movies down.

Magneto was badass, Ian Mckellen truly made him a force to be reckoned with and the Brotherhood was bad as well , each one of them was a perfect contrast to the X men they looked like freaks and were bad ass as hell.

While i admit x3 was pretty flawed with the killing off the characters, the phoenix saga and wasting charatcers like Angel and Colosous, and i didn't like the b level mutants (kid omega/quill, arclight) when they could have used better. But i still enjoyed it alot and actualy just finished watching it.

There isn't much that they got right... But mostly, it's Cyclops that ruins the experience for me.

Most of my major complaints have already been mentioned, but let me expand.

Pushing Cyclops aside and killing him off early in the 3rd.

Personally i think Bryan Singer didnt know what to do with the character because he couldnt relate to him.

I don't understand singer. Cyclops is a character that I think has a lot of personality traits similar to Superman. They are both strong moral types and natural leaders.

So why would he do NOTHING with cyclops, and then jump ship to go do a Superman film?

And I really mean he did NOTHING with him. Cyclops had no storyline. He was side character in Jean and Wolverine's storyline. He had no backstory, he had no relevance other than furthering their plots.

I don't even like Cyclops and I hated that. I felt like it was just an excuse to make everything about Wolverine again.

Think about it. It is Scott's girlfriend (wife?) that has turned against them. X3 should have focused heavily on Scott.

4. I don't mind Wolverine being such a central character in the first film. We need a character to introduce us to the X world, and I felt Wolverine was a good choice. But he should have not been such a central character in the following films.

Exactly. It's a story that naturally lends itself to being Scott central! And as Evil Clare said, it would have made much more sense to have each film have a different character focus.

Have Wolverine and Rogue the focus of the first film (though I think Rogue should have been Jubilee, because the personality suited her much much better).

Have Night Crawler and Jean the focus of the second film.

Have Scott, Jean and Xavier the focus of the last film.

And for each, a different villain. Because having the same villain in every sequel is just a bit strange.

other lead villains like sinister and apocalypse and the sentinels are what i didn't like about the films.

Really REALLY dissapointed we didn't see more of the sentinels than a training simulation. Would have loved to have seen them crashing after Jubille through a Mall like that scene in the cartoon :D

I will have to agree on Cyclops. I didn't think I was much of a fan, but he was so badly handled that I feel really defensive toward the character.

I felt really defensive... literally, when he died, I was like 'Hey, hey now, that's not fair, you can't do that to him!'

I agree 100%.

I think they should reboot the entire thing, especially now that spiderman and superman are being rebooted.

Remember the second movie, when he killed the peeps that broke into the school? That viciousness is what was missing in most scenes.

Both X-men and Spiderman majorly needed rebooting, especially in the way of TDK, which proved that you don't need to glamourize superhero movies with humour, big names and made up love stories.

Unfortunately, they only saw fit to reboot one :(

Cyclops actually had decent screentime , though i wish i saw more action of him..

Couldn't give a damn how long he was on screen for, his characterisation was the worst I have EVER seen. I mean, there really wasn't any... at all!

I can't believe nobody has commented on how X3 butchered the character of Juggernaut

I had a question about "Psylocke" (I put it in quotes since some dispute that's Psylocke) in X3...I know its said her powers were teleportation when I looked it up......but to me her power appears to be more a invisibility or camouflage power......can someone clarify?

I had a question about "Psylocke" (I put it in quotes since some dispute that's Psylocke) in X3...I know its said her powers were teleportation when I looked it up......but to me her power appears to be more a invisibility or camouflage power......can someone clarify?
if you want to call her "Psylocke". for a time in the late 90s til her death Psylocke had the ability to travel through shadows after coming in contact with the Crimson Dawn. this wasnt at all what we saw in Last Stand. and the girl has purple streaks in her hair and a scar over her eye (the Crimson Dawn gave her a tattoo). speaking as an uber-fan of the character, that wasnt Psylocke.

I can't believe nobody has commented on how X3 butchered the character of Juggernaut

How was Juggernaut butchered? because the whole relationship to Xavier wasn't there?Lets be real Juggernaut to begin with wasnt a character with great character depth to being with like a Cyclops,Wolverine,Magneto,Prof X etc.

I thought he was one of the positives of x men last stand, would have been bad ass to seen him and Colosusus in some epic brawl that just demolishes everything, could have been bad ass

There isn't much that they got right... But mostly, it's Cyclops that ruins the experience for me.

Most of my major complaints have already been mentioned, but let me expand.

I don't understand singer. Cyclops is a character that I think has a lot of personality traits similar to Superman. They are both strong moral types and natural leaders.

So why would he do NOTHING with cyclops, and then jump ship to go do a Superman film?

And I really mean he did NOTHING with him. Cyclops had no storyline. He was side character in Jean and Wolverine's storyline. He had no backstory, he had no relevance other than furthering their plots.

Exactly. It's a story that naturally lends itself to being Scott central! And as Evil Clare said, it would have made much more sense to have each film have a different character focus.

Have Wolverine and Rogue the focus of the first film (though I think Rogue should have been Jubilee, because the personality suited her much much better).

Have Night Crawler and Jean the focus of the second film.

Have Scott, Jean and Xavier the focus of the last film.

And for each, a different villain. Because having the same villain in every sequel is just a bit strange.

Really REALLY dissapointed we didn't see more of the sentinels than a training simulation. Would have loved to have seen them crashing after Jubille through a Mall like that scene in the cartoon :D

I felt really defensive... literally, when he died, I was like 'Hey, hey now, that's not fair, you can't do that to him!'

Both X-men and Spiderman majorly needed rebooting, especially in the way of TDK, which proved that you don't need to glamourize superhero movies with humour, big names and made up love stories.

Unfortunately, they only saw fit to reboot one :(

Couldn't give a damn how long he was on screen for, his characterisation was the worst I have EVER seen. I mean, there really wasn't any... at all!
:up::highfive:

Cyclops FTW.

The movies were structured wrong, IMO. Wolverine should not have had the main focus every film. Magneto and Mystique did not need to be in every single movie. Decisions like this resulted in them having to give jackman, mckellan, and romijn ample screentime that couldve been given to someone else.

Rogue was just underutilized. She was mainly Wolverine's little sister or Iceman's girlfriend. Sure, they mentioned her inability to touch people, but beyond that....eh. She could've utilized her powers in much more ways...or any way at all, really.

Cyclops....where do I start? The way Singer portrays this guy made him unsympathetic. He painted him as Logan's rival, which is the sad result of deciding to place the main focus on Wolverine. Scott barely got decent screentime, and when he got it, it was as the guy who stood in Logan's way, which results in most people not caring for scott at all. This also changes the perception of the Logan/Jean relationship.

Which brings me to my next point...if Singer had made Cyclops a character people cared for, X3 wouldnt have butchered the Logan/Jean dynamic. Even though Singer had Jean choose Scott, the audience dosent care about Scott, since Singer decided Logan was the character the audience should invest in. So now, people assume that Logan and Jean are meant to be together, but that a hole Scott is in the way. The audience perceived it that way, so its no surprise they ended up focusing on logan/jean in X3.

Also, at the end of the day, the films just arent as exciting as their fellow superhero franchises. There's a reason why Iron Man, Batman, and Spider-Man make more money than the X-Men. The X-Men films, when good, are good, but not great. The action isnt as mind blowing as the Spider-Man films. The stories arent as rich as the current Batman films. Much of the characters aren't as charismatic or likable as the ones in Iron Man. The X-Men films are like the old Star Trek films: they give off this sci fi vibe that isnt wholly accessible, and they're somewhat safe.

The movies were structured wrong, IMO. Wolverine should not have had the main focus every film. Magneto and Mystique did not need to be in every single movie. Decisions like this resulted in them having to give jackman, mckellan, and romijn ample screentime that couldve been given to someone else.

Rogue was just underutilized. She was mainly Wolverine's little sister or Iceman's girlfriend. Sure, they mentioned her inability to touch people, but beyond that....eh. She could've utilized her powers in much more ways...or any way at all, really.

Cyclops....where do I start? The way Singer portrays this guy made him unsympathetic. He painted him as Logan's rival, which is the sad result of deciding to place the main focus on Wolverine. Scott barely got decent screentime, and when he got it, it was as the guy who stood in Logan's way, which results in most people not caring for scott at all. This also changes the perception of the Logan/Jean relationship.

Which brings me to my next point...if Singer had made Cyclops a character people cared for, X3 wouldnt have butchered the Logan/Jean dynamic. Even though Singer had Jean choose Scott, the audience dosent care about Scott, since Singer decided Logan was the character the audience should invest in. So now, people assume that Logan and Jean are meant to be together, but that a hole Scott is in the way. The audience perceived it that way, so its no surprise they ended up focusing on logan/jean in X3.

Also, at the end of the day, the films just arent as exciting as their fellow superhero franchises. There's a reason why Iron Man, Batman, and Spider-Man make more money than the X-Men. The X-Men films, when good, are good, but not great. The action isnt as mind blowing as the Spider-Man films. The stories arent as rich as the current Batman films. Much of the characters aren't as charismatic or likable as the ones in Iron Man. The X-Men films are like the old Star Trek films: they give off this sci fi vibe that isnt wholly accessible, and they're somewhat safe.

About using Rogues powers...the one thing that bugged me in X3...the 1 scene she does use them, its not even her trying to use them, someone else touches her for her to absorb the abilities...

...now that I think about it...did she really only user her powers one time in the X3?

She barely even spoke in the movie, forget about her using her powers. I think one of the worst things to happen to X3 was essentially losing three cast members in Marsden, Paquin, and Romijn, because being 'The Last Stand' and all, their characters deserved better send-offs than the ones they got.

Well in all honesty.

whatever their logic is. they just won't reboot the franchise. they want to reboot daredevil and FF which IMO didn't need to be rebooted but they won't do it with x men.

unlike lots of folks here. i actually LIKE x3. I felt it was a nice ending as a trilogy. i like the emotional appeal. the acting. the action was creatively done. i felt like they took the feel of the comics, the animated series, and the feel of the films and created something really cool and fun and epic. the battle that and the way they made the pheonix more realistic and grounded was a good decision. i liked it.

i liked it overall and Brett Ratner has a right to be proud of the movie. it felt very EPIC as an ending. i know that lots of fanboys feel the opposite but i really liked x3.

but being that x3 didn't read the mood of the audience, it makes me wonder how singer and his writers would've handled it. they say that the x men would have fought the hellfire club which would've made sense. but i liked the way x3 turned out. i liked it that magneto accomplished his goal of starting a war which is what he set himself out to do in the first film.

i dislike the fact that there is lack of continuity within the the x films.

the x-jet changes each movie. beast (hank McCoy) is human looking in part 2 and then he is a furry beast the next. nightcrawler dissappears without an explanation in x3. you could say that he just left the school, but just some dialogue about where he went would have been nice. striker loses his southern accent in orgins. the whole adamantium bullet in the head erasing his memory thing. i mean orgins takes the lack of continuity to a whole new level. i mean wolverine will have to get shot in the head again so that he will have not recognize yuriko in x men 2. so the continuty is even more screwed up.

orgins ruined everything if you ask me. And i honestly think that the director got screwed over because of interference from the studio. and it shows. he wanted to make a gritty film or atleast a semi-gritty film and the studio wanted something else and the end result is a sucky crap film that felt rushed. that fails to maintin continuity even within the previous movies. fans and people in general who were worried about this film had every right to be. this movie really sucked

i feel like the idea of the script was good. i liked the idea that sabertooth and wolverine were brothers. it made sense, being that they have similar mutations. it added a different level of tension to their classic rivalry.

the opening of the film was awesome. it was good but the movie really falls apart after striker gets wolverine and sabertooth out of jail. too many unecessary characters. i mean everything that everyone has complained about the film here. orgins had the potential to be a very intelligent action drama. i mean i thought we were gonna see something that finally answers the mystery of wolverine, a tragic love story, a social commentary on the issue of sibling rivalry, and something that visualizes what we have seen from the comics. its sad because hugh said that this film was for the FANS.

i mean the animated episode of wolverine's orgin is more intertaining than the film version if you ask me.

i didn't mind the film-makers making changes to the x men storyline because sometimes changes are necessary. but wolverine was just a big mistake.

so now where does that leave us. X-MEN FIRST CLASS should've been a reboot. really it should've been. no wolverine 2. no prequel non-sense. just start over. i mean even if wolverine 2 is actually a good movie, i will still hate it. i think that FOX knows that they screwed up. i mean the movie got leaked early on the net. and it sucked too. so i think they are trying to not make themselves not look bad by not rebooting.

x men first class seems like a reboot but with wolverine 2 coming and OMG a deadpool movie with RR. it confuses us. i mean RR is now green lantern so it confuses us all. and a deapool movie is not necessary either. so i have now offically given up on x men movies. we will never see an authentic x men movie. we just won't.

IMO they should've just started over with the original 5 and the same setting the 60's. and started with teenagers and over time as we see the teens age into their 30's they become the x men we all know and love and eventually they could re-introduce a more authentic wolvine later on in a 3rd or 4th film. but this will never happen.

i prefer what marvel is doing with avengers. even though they replaced Terrence Howard and Ed norton, Iron Man 2, Thor, Cap. America will be great films. they will do Iron Fist, Black Panther and Avengers justice. they won't screw it up they way fox has with xmen. i'm curious to see how they handle punsiher. i mean i personally liked war zone being that it was comic accurate. but i will admit that it was over the top as well. so i wonder what approcach they will take

being that they are building up a strong continuity within thier films, it would be wierd to introduce mutants into their world so, its okay. i don't think they will ever get their hands on x men. if they did they would do i j

also im keeping my finger crossed in hoping that we will see a justice league film someday. If green lantern turns out to be as great as Dark Knight and Batman Begins and if Superman pans out well then i hope maybe WB will try to do what marvel is doing.
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Did you copy and paste this post? Because I'm getting some deja vu :p

But to answer why the franchise isn't getting a reboot, the fact is that it's still making Fox money, which neither FF or Daredevil did. Say what you will about X-Men 3 and Wolverine, but they're still bringing people into the theater. Wolverine out-performed the first movie, while X3 made almost twice X-Men's box office gross, and also made about $50 million more than its predecessor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"