What will be the top grossing film in 2008?

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
What film will be the DOMESTIC box office leader in 2008?

Of course assuming ALL the above films make it.

I think Indy will beat out Avatar. Yeah James Cameron is big and the whole digital 3d thing is great but Indy wins it hands down. Narnia and Avatar will fight it out for #2. Wolverine IMO easily beats out Batman begins clearly X3 showed just how popular the franchise is and the Wolverine script is just awesome from what I've read at Latino Review. Remember Wolverine has been in scripting stages since before X3. It's not a rush job by any means. Iron Man is an unknown and should do solid business to warrant a sequel. Favreau just rocks, and while Die Hard films are always fun and it should do great...I don't see it competing above any of the rest on the list.

Here's how I see it:

1) Indiana Jones - 300 million +
2) Avatar - 275+ million
3) Narnia 2 - 275 million
4) Wolverine - 250 million
5) Batman Begins - 230-240 million
6) Jurassic Park 4 - 200 million
7) Iron Man - 175-200 million
8) Die Hard 4.0 -150 million

If there are films I forgot...tell me.

If Hulk 2 get's added to this list and Marvel does it right (they're talking like they know what to do) then it'll jump up to #4 in my book. Hulk has so much appeal but was done wrong to maximize the box office. They get it right and throw in abomination...watch out! I'm pretty sure Hulk is in for a 2009 release though so I won't add it yet.

If you guys are going to vote "Other" then freaking post what the "Other" is. Jeez guys. ;)

Does this just count as Domestic Box Office, or Worldwide also?

I was just tallying domestic above only. Worldwide Narnia would just own everybody in that case...I think.

^ Yeah and there's no way Fantastic Four will have a bigger opening weekend than Superman & Batman Begins... or that X3 will make 450 million worldwide. Oh wait...all of that did happen.

I think Wolverine will make more than X3. For starters ticket prices will be higher, the project has had more time to develop, they have a better writer than X3, and it focuses on X-Men's most popular character and his origin. Release dates could change my opinion quickly. Wolverine will probably jump all over a great date and have a nice window.

Even if my dollar #'s are wrong that's the order I predict.

Internationally, I would definately say Narnia, but just domestically, I still say BB2.

Avatar has the biggest possiblity of underperforming IMO, and Iron Man doesn't have a big enough general fanbase to be a true contender (I think it will do a decent amount, but will have to wait for the sequel to make big B.O. numbers).

I don't see Die Hard 4 as being a contender either just because it is rated R. Very few R movies have ever had a shot at the biggest gross of the year.

Indiana Jones 4 is also a gamble. I can see it being absolutely huge, or just doing above average. It's tough to tell how it will turn out since it's been in development for so long now.

Wolverine will be big. It's tough to say if it will really have legs though. The fan base is already built in, so I can picture it being like X3 and opening huge and trailing somewhat quickly. I could see this as having the highest opening day/weekend though.

Narnia is a beast. What made the first so successful was the fact that it didn't have as much competition as the summer blockbusters, which definately helped it have legs.

BB2 has the fanbase that Wolverine and Narnia have, and has won back the trust of the general audience after Batman and Robin. Having the Joker in it will definately help too.

The biggest deciding factor IMO will probably just be the release dates of the films. If most are released in the summer and Narnia is left alone in the winter again, then I think it will win. And at the same time, if BB2 is left alone for a few weeks without any competition and Narnia has some competition, then I could easily see it going to BB2.

But if all the contenders get an equal amount of competition I think BB2 can pull it out, but it'll be close. Real close.

I forgot Jurassic Park 4. Unless Spielberg pulls off an amazing feet I think people are already tired of people trapped on the Island or Dino's in Manhattan crap. We've seen Godzilla and Kong already. Still that should be on my list. I requested it to be added to the poll and I'm adjusting my list.

Easily Narnia. Unless you're Spider-Man, comic films don't top the Box Office for the year.

Narnia is an easy pick in the International Market but I don't see it beating Indy 4 domestic.

INDIANA JONES....... the hype has been for over 15years!

I just hope that Harry hasn't gotten to geriatic to deliver a good performance. I suspect they'll be writing the story around the idea that Indy is getting too old to be a hero anymore, in which case they'll be finding new ways to deliver the action. Hopefully it's good though!

I can't deny being uber pumped for Batman 2 though. The first one was great, and I expect the sequel will be even greater.

blind_fury said:
Harry Potter 6 should be on the poll too.
oh please!...

first of all..it cant contend with the will of spielberg and lucas.

second of all... its been making less and less money

I'm surprised it's only Jurassic 4. I thought we'd be up to Jurassic 45 - The Rise of the Mammals by now.

xwolverine2 said:
oh please!...

first of all..it cant contend with the will of spielberg and lucas.

second of all... its been making less and less money

3 of the 4 Potter films are in the Top 10 for all-time worldwide gross.

And Goblet of Fire made more than Azkaban and Chamber of Secrets.

Poetic Chaos said:
3 of the 4 Potter films are in the Top 10 for all-time worldwide gross.

And Goblet of Fire made more than Azkaban and Chamber of Secrets.
the next book sucks

War Lord said:
I'm surprised it's only Jurassic 4. I thought we'd be up to Jurassic 45 - The Rise of the Mammals by now.
hey!:mad: .......dont mess with JP:mad:

xwolverine2 said:
the next book sucks

Even if that were the case (which it's not) it has plot points everyone wants to see like Harry's first kiss, Ron playing quidditch and the entire Department of Mysteries finale.

Avatar ... its James- Mother f**king - Cameron

When can I begin thread "top grossing movie 2009"? :)

lol

Ok, thats what I think:

1. Indiana Jones 4 - $301m
2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - $294m
3. The Avatar - $277m
4. The Chronicles of Narnia 2 - $268m
5. Batman Begins 2 - $253m

According my predictions IJ4 will be #1. Sometimes I have feeling that Cameron is too overrated director and I doubt his new project will make $300m.

HP6 is going to be very huge, the same with Narnia 2, but sequel will make less than 1st movie.

BB2 will break Batman'89 and get very high numbers. I think so, because people loved BB and as we can see, DVD sales were huge.

In summer top, BB2 will be #3.

Wow, already a thread about 2008? It's impossible to say this early when in reality only one movie has a confirmed date, Iron Man. But from the movies in the poll I'd go for Narnia (at least worldwide); it's the most family-friendly movie on the list. Avatar seems like a very risky project, especially if it turns out to really have a budget over $300 million, since it something new and not an established, popular franchise.

xwolverine2 said:
INDIANA JONES....... the hype has been for over 15years!

The same was with SR. The hype has been for over 20 years and what then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"