Comics Whatever happened to The Life of Reilly?

just do what I did... I just made hard copies of the entire 35 part blog, three-hole punchpressed it and bound it...

now it makes for the occasional on-the-toilet read...

seeing as what the subject is all about concerning the clone saga, how appropriate...

He probably got tired of blogging. Probably had a kid or found a new hobby. Isn't that what blogging is anyway.....just a hobby? I've dropped/picked up multiple hobbies of the years.

The guy that did Spidey Kicks Butt hasn't updated his site in years either. It's important to point out that it "mysteriously":o stopped right around the release of One More Day.

just as Eric Gillette abandoned his samruby.com Spider-Man site a few years ago... that was a great cover reference site...

It still is... right up to ASM #588...

I've spoken to Eric a few times after that... I think he just became disillusioned by comics in general...

:csad:

It happens to the best of us. I've been disillusioned by comics at least 2 or 3 times. The mid 90's made me want to jump off a cliff and the mid 00's were no better.

I emailed Eric the first time when he disappeared and he said he was coming back... several months later, he DID, but only for about two months, then he completely vanished...

I THINK he lost a family member around that time... his dad, possibly?...

there's been jumping off points for ME SEVERAL times since the clone saga... the industry and comics per se, has really changed over the years... for ME, anyways...

I just really don't get into comics the way I used to... from the 60's to the 80's were pretty cool, but ever since the 90's, it just ain't happenin' for me anymore...

I read every so often, but it's always a half-assed read... sometimes I read part of a book and then toss it aside to finish another day... back in the day, I could finish a book in 10 minutes...

that's how much books today offer to hold my attention...

I emailed Eric the first time when he disappeared and he said he was coming back... several months later, he DID, but only for about two months, then he completely vanished...

I THINK he lost a family member around that time... his dad, possibly?...

He had an estranged relationship with his father...

But it was his beloved mother who had passed away... and then one of his dogs passed soon thereafter... I can't remember if it was Sam or Ruby...

I've spoken to him in 2012...

yeah, now I remember... and that one of the dogs passed...

if you talk to him again, tell him one of his visitors still remembers... he doesn't know me personally, but I'm sure he'll like hearing that...

Maybe the publishing deal for the Life of Reilly book just fell through so the guy became disillusioned. It happens sometimes that a publishing company goes back on a deal or the whole company just goes under. I think a child would keep someone from blogging, but not someone from publishing a book that was already 99% done.

Aloha,
You asked for it.
The Life of Reilly was a 35 part column written by Andrew Goletz and former Editor/Writer, Glenn Greenberg. A number of different websites hosted the column, beginning with Comic Book Galaxy and more recently, New Comic Reviews. In an effort to keep the original archives intact, he relocated the entire column to this web site. You can find out the latest updates on the book at The Haven blog where every week or two he posts 'The Hype of Reilly', a behind the scenes look at the road to getting the book put out.

Go to this link on my page and scroll down to the Life of Reily.
http://www.donaldspidermanthomas.com/html/links_page1.html
Spidey rules

But that's just it. There's been no updates since 2010.

Aloha,
He's still trying:yay:. In today's world of independent publishing, he could publish it himself. Not sure of his income. It would take a couple of grand to get it going. But then he wouldn't have to warehouse a bunch of books that no one wanted. He could travel the Spider-Man web sites and promote it's sale. I think we all would be smart to do like Thunderstrike and others and go ahead and print it out for our personal consumption.If he did this himself and went to a couple of Comic Book conventions, I'm sure he could make his money back.It wouldn't even have to be HC or even slick paperback. I wish him all the best.:word:
Spidey rules

Maybe we can pool some dough together and help him out... :up:

:yay:

Maybe we can pool some dough together and help him out... :up:

:yay:

Aloha,
A more economical way for him to go would be to take all of the blogs off of his site,keep his web site and sell copies per request.Again, it wouldn't have to be HC or slick trade. It could be spiral bound with quality paper. Charge enough to cover his costs and time.
This guys had three plus years to get his thing together, you keep pooling your money to get Untold Tales of Spider-Man Omnibus :up:
Spidey rules

This is 2013, he could make it a simple e-book PDF and sell the downloads. From what I hear, that's more profitable than actual printing these days.

Knowing how finicky websites can be, I copied everything from his original blog and have it saved in a massive Word file for occasional reference.

Well, the first post here, I have links to.
I'm not sure if they still work or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"