What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Discussion in 'Superman Returns' started by stargazer, Aug 31, 2011.

1. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

Spacey was too campy as Lex for moi. Lex needs more an edge.

3. BlueLightning

BlueLightning Caballero de la Luz

While I liked Superman Returns, I don't think that it was a movie that we really needed. The film is a love letter to the Donner films, which I think was a mistake. The best part of the whole film was, for me, the part where Lex stabs Superman with the Kryptonite dagger

"Now... FLY!"

Also when he compares Superman to a egoistical selfish god was great.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

It definitely was a mistake but to be honest they'd tried and failed so many times to get a Superman film off the ground this seemed the best idea at the time. It's easy to say in hindsight it was a mistake but at the time a lot of people thought it was a good idea. I do wonder had the execution been better if most people would still have thought it was a mistake but I think it definitely should have been rebooted. Hopefully Man of Steel is the reboot we were hoping for then I'd feel we are quite lucky to have two modern Superman movies.

5. BlueLightning

Oh yes indeed! I have read a little about the development hell that the Superman franchise was stuck on, and I must say that from all of that, Return was the best we got.

High hopes for Man of Steel.

6. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

If MOS sucks I'll officially give up the ghost on the Supes movies.

7. charl_huntress

charl_huntress Well-Known Member

If MOS sucks....I will be disappointed as a Superman fan and eternally rely on the good Superman I have available. I will still be fan...just not a movie fan.

8. gzilla46

gzilla46 Well-Known Member

I don't know. I didn't see it. Maybe MOS will be a lot better. I don't know.

9. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Count me among those who really enjoyed Superman Returns, minus the act-like-a-jerk Lois and her superpowered kid.

10. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Lois was miscast. I believe a better, more mature Lois could've eliminated a quarter of the film's problems.

11. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I agree, alot of what bothers me about Lois was Bosworth's delivery. Maybe an actress more suited to the role could've done that part without making her seem like a *****.

12. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

Maybe ya should watch it and then see if ya like it or not.

13. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

The fans begged and begged for a supervillain to be in it, WB and singer knew this, but they chose to ignore it and counted on the love of the donner films to make it a success.

The kid didnt really bother me, but I could have did without him.

Lex. I never cared for the casting of spacey as lex. That said, if he had of been written differently, I would have probably liked him.

Bosworth was ok, but just ok isnt good enough.

Routh. I had no problem with him. It was the wrong film, wrong time for him.

They pretty much rehashed the same plot as S:TM. Lex creates a disaster and plans to sell the resulting landmass thats left/created. some of the lines were even the same.

It needed a supervillain, badly imo. Supes should have still went off looking for survivors of krypton.
    While supes was gone, Lex should have still stolen the crystals from the FOS, but this time it would have been to make tech ( and we should have actually seen him making it to show his evil scientists side ). Lex would have sold some of the tech off to the highest bidders, kept the best, and then formed Lex-corp from the proceeds. He would have then created metallo as his right hand. He is powered by both the crystals and kryptonite, giving him strength that is equal to superman's.

Lex would even have found cures for diseases and how to stop famines ( sold to the highest bidders of course ) all to gain the trust of the public he hates so much.

He would have sent metallo out to stop small wars, destroying and killing whole armies, and also to stop crime. Metallo would kill all criminals he caught, from pickpockets to murderers....The US gov decides Lex has gone to far and sends a Military force in to stop him, but metallo destroys them. Lex is furious at the attempted attack against him. He sends metallo to the US capital and he destroys it. Society then becomes a totalitarian state run by Lex.

This would be the point where Superman returns. Imagine Supes returning to a Earth 5 years later where Lex is now as equally rich and powerful as a bill gates and donald trump, but as evil as a stalin and hitler, WITH a superstrong kryptonite powered bodyguard protecting him.

Now THAT would have been awesome and my ideal superman film. No creating landmasses here. No kid either. Just Lex and Supes battling for the publics soul and some epic fights between supes and metallo.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  14. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Now that would've been the way to do this movie :up:

I always though Singer missed the boat on Lex, coming back to see an all powerful Lex Luthor maybe even a Lex Luthor loved by the public would've been a far better concept than an ex girlfriend whose moved on with her life.

15. Vagosnati

Vagosnati Vag-El

Everything was bad in this movie.Script,plot,actors,director.

16. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I just saw this Guard, and it's a great post. It mirrors a lot of my own feelings on the film as well. You made some good points about its strengths and weaknesses. I will say that my appreciation for the film has dipped a bit throughout the years, and I don't often get the urge to re-watch it, but I still would never called it a bad film.

In the end it kind of wrote itself into a corner by offering the closure it did to the Donner films, so it is kind of an oddity. With any luck, Man of Steel will be what the franchise needs for a 21st century rebirth and will be something that energizes the fans in a way Returns didn't. If that happens, I think people will go easier on Returns in the future because it will exist as what it essentially is- a little bow on the Donnerverse and something of a bonus.

In fact, sometimes I wish the previous Burton/Schumacher films got a fifth and final film to truly wrap things up. The scrapped Batman Triumphant featuring the return of Nicholson could have been something like that. Alas, wasn't meant to be. But if all works out, Superman fans will have gotten a chance to say goodbye to the old franchise and start a new one all within 7 years. That's something kind of unique.

17. Victory-Prime

Victory-Prime New Member

now, i liked superman returns. sure it had a few hiccups here and there. but, all and all, it was a pretty decent film.

18. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

It's definitely not the worst comic book film of all-time but it let down a lot if us Superman fans for just not been good enough. They just really went the wrong way with this film but fortunately we have Man of Steel on the way.

19. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

The Joker was only going to return as a hallucination.

The film would still have sucked, in my opinion.

20. BlueLightning

Not only that, apparently Harley was gonna be on this, and she was going to be the Joker's daughter.

21. BatLobsterRises

Oh no doubt Batman Triumphant would have probably sucked. Nonetheless, I think the basic idea of a Scarecrow film featuring hallucinations of Nicholson-Joker could have been a nice way to put a bow on that series, if handled right. The 11 year old version of me that was dying to see "Batman 5" would have loved to see that.

But yeah, glad things went the way they did. :yay:

22. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Didn't they approach Michael Keaton about that film aswell? I know fipor sure he was approached a few times after he left the franchise.

23. BatLobsterRises

As far as I know, Clooney was set to reprise the role as I think the film was in development before Batman and Robin was released. It wouldn't surprise me to learn Keaton was approached though.

24. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

Keaton wanted to do Batman Year One, he has said in the past interviews that he was opposed to including Robin and when they showed him the scripts that had Robin, he left the franchise. He was not happy with the lighter direction they wanted to take.

25. Sundancer

Sundancer Cynicist

Just saw this again and figured out why it doesn't sit well for me. I tried to view it as if I've never seen any of the other films.

The story seems to really be about Lois or "Not Superman."

Lois is the one who wrote the article about why the world doesn't need Superman. She seems to have been impacted more by his disappearance than Kal-El was. She resumes smoking, has more subtext in her conversations such as at her home with Richard. Lois has just as much screen time as Kal-el (Clark or Superman). She investigates Luthor. She's the one who says they have to turn back and save him. And finally, she's the one who undergoes a character change. By the movie's end, she's about to write why we need Superman.

Kal-el really doesn't do much other than spy, return to his super activities. He isn't as proactive except for his heroic deeds. the scene where he and Lois finally speak shoudl have been more dramatic. Only Lois should any feelings. Routh was fairly an emotional flatline in this scene. He just accepted Lois feelings and did nothing about it.