Whats the best way to start??

Team Andino

The Paragon of Virtue
Reaction score
Over the last two years Ive had an idea here an there but never really bothered to write it until now. Ive got a few stories in my head Id like to tell and even a couple pages of notes for some of those stories. My question what do you guys think is the best way of getting started is?

One way to do it is to, with any one story, go ahead and write what you know even if it's done in a very basic style. Leave blank spaces where there are gaps in the story.

Example:

Jim went to the store. He wanted to buy beer.

The cashier didn't speak English.

Jim was drunk when his mother told him she had cancer.

Jim's mother looked lovely in the casket.

Then go back through and connect the gaps. Then polish, polish, polish.

Is that what you're looking for?

One way to do it is to, with any one story, go ahead and write what you know even if it's done in a very basic style. Leave blank spaces where there are gaps in the story.

Example:

Jim went to the store. He wanted to buy beer.

The cashier didn't speak English.

Jim was drunk when his mother told him she had cancer.

Jim's mother looked lovely in the casket.

Then go back through and connect the gaps. Then polish, polish, polish.

Is that what you're looking for?
Thanks for the tip, honestly any info on ideas for starting would be great. My basic problem as it is in other fields of my life is straight up starting things. Once I start I can go the whole way with it but getting started was always my weak point. If anyone else has ideas please do post, even if not for but for others in the future who have an idea an wonder how to make something of it

Well, if you've been thinking about it for a long time, it's different than if you're starting off blind. I usually start my stories on a whim, expecting them to be just a few chapters long, and they explode.

Is your story going to be shorter? If so, write down the basic ideas for what you want to follow--from beginning to end. Make sure that any themes or the tone that you might want to carry through are clear in your mind, and remind yourself of them every time you sit down to write. After that, do what has been said above. Just sit down and write whatever comes into your head, and then piece it together.

For longer stories I take a similar approach, but on a much larger scale. For me, my stories often take me as much by surprise as my readers. I usually start off with an opening chapter, just trying to set out the basic tone, style, and characterization that I like. After that, I go about writing out "scenes" that I've already worked out through my head, like watching a movie. I write out the basic "what happens"--writing down where people are moving, and the basic gist of what they're saying. After the chapter is complete enough to make sense (I call it my "black and white draft") I go through and "color it"--reading it to check for extra characterization, description and details, and trying to really get inside my characters head for their mood.

I usually have about two to three consequential chapters written ahead of the ones I post, just to make sure that I'm keeping consistent on tone and events. I don't like the idea of having to go back and change stuff I've written after I've already posted them.

But yeah--one of my big suggestions is make sure to quickly write down the scenes you can see clearly in your head. Write them out in all their glorious detail, trying to capture the mood and tone especially, and then work out the details around them later on. Let the characters and basic idea from your story run through your head throughout the day--like a running tv show with commercial breaks of real life. Not only does it help progress the story, but it keeps you from getting bored during any boring, required college classes you might have to take. (Yes, my life is sad.)

Sorry this went on so long. I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Well, if you've been thinking about it for a long time, it's different than if you're starting off blind. I usually start my stories on a whim, expecting them to be just a few chapters long, and they explode.

Is your story going to be shorter? If so, write down the basic ideas for what you want to follow--from beginning to end. Make sure that any themes or the tone that you might want to carry through are clear in your mind, and remind yourself of them every time you sit down to write. After that, do what has been said above. Just sit down and write whatever comes into your head, and then piece it together.

For longer stories I take a similar approach, but on a much larger scale. For me, my stories often take me as much by surprise as my readers. I usually start off with an opening chapter, just trying to set out the basic tone, style, and characterization that I like. After that, I go about writing out "scenes" that I've already worked out through my head, like watching a movie. I write out the basic "what happens"--writing down where people are moving, and the basic gist of what they're saying. After the chapter is complete enough to make sense (I call it my "black and white draft") I go through and "color it"--reading it to check for extra characterization, description and details, and trying to really get inside my characters head for their mood.

I usually have about two to three consequential chapters written ahead of the ones I post, just to make sure that I'm keeping consistent on tone and events. I don't like the idea of having to go back and change stuff I've written after I've already posted them.

But yeah--one of my big suggestions is make sure to quickly write down the scenes you can see clearly in your head. Write them out in all their glorious detail, trying to capture the mood and tone especially, and then work out the details around them later on. Let the characters and basic idea from your story run through your head throughout the day--like a running tv show with commercial breaks of real life. Not only does it help progress the story, but it keeps you from getting bored during any boring, required college classes you might have to take. (Yes, my life is sad.)

Sorry this went on so long. I hope it helps.
Thanks a bunch!! this really did help paint a better picture for how I need to piece this whole thing together. In the coming months I hope to get some work done when I have the time and maybe even post them ehre to see what you guys think. Thanks Again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"