When was the last time a movie was sold out?

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
The only time in maybe the last year I've been to a flick where it was either at capacity or showings were sold out was It last month. Every summer flick or movie beforehand I've always managed to get a seat and there have always been a bunch of seats available after the fact. I remember being pissed about having to rush to the theatre or find tickets online a couple years back for certain movies, but it seems to be falling by the wayside these days. It may pick up for November and December, but who knows.

I think the early showing of The Force Awakens was sold out for me.

Other than that I agree I don't see it happen often. But then again I actively avoid going to night screenings

The last time I tried to go to a movie that was sold out was Titanic. So it has been awhile.

La La Land and Get Out.

Both TFA and RO for me. TA and TDKR when they came out. I'm sure there's been plenty.

I think because I mostly go to morning shows now, I rarely even see half full theaters these days. Fine by me. :)

Two showings of Spider-Man HC and one showing of IT were sold out for me this year.

As an employee at a movie theatre I can remember The Force Awakens, Civil War, Get Out, and Batman vs. Superman selling out.

Oddly, opening night 9:30 showing of The Conjuring 2 easy sold out for me.

Suicide Squad was sold out opening night, though the cinema I was at was also hosting a play so they had to move the screening to a smaller theatre. But otherwise it's been pretty good for me.

I had to go to another showing of IT on opening night because the showing I originally wanted to get tickets to was sold out.

The difference between today and years ago was that there's usually a bunch of showings to pick from, so it's rare to get completely sold out.

Living in LA I've noticed theaters don't sell out but almost every theater I go to has reserved seating so the front couple of rows are usually open because no one wants to sit there, not sure how wide spread reserved seating is but it's at 90% of the theaters I go to so I'm sure that actually hurts ticket sales from time to time. I know I've skipped screenings because I didn't want to sit in the front row and I just waited till the next week or went to a different theater.

The difference between today and years ago was that there's usually a bunch of showings to pick from, so it's rare to get completely sold out.

There's a lot more theaters around too. I remember up until I was about 10 years old there was only one multiplex in close proximity to me. Plenty of movies there got completely sold out, but my parents usually took me on Saturday/Sunday afternoons which were less likely to be sold out. Save for big releases like The Lion King. Unfortunately that theater no longer exists but there are now at least 6 or 7 theaters close to me. If a showtime is ever sold out at one, there are plenty more to choose from.

That being said, though, the 7:00-9:00 opening night Thursday showings at my favorite theater (reclining seats, assigned seating, etc.) usually sell out quick. I was in a sold out show for The Force Awakens and the theater I'm in for The Last Jedi is at near capacity. The Marvel movies usually get a full house there too.

I typically go to early Friday showings so it's not usual for me. The Last Jedi opening night in IMAX 3D is sold out though and the regular showing of Homecoming was close

Most recently was IT. Strangely enough, GOTG Vol. 2 was sold out in its third week of release on a Wednesday afternoon. And yes, I specifically remember that since it was a bit odd.

I remember here in Sweden how Titanic was sold out for months in the town where I live. And it happened with the Lord of the Rings-movies. Today I more or less stopped going to the theaters because my town doesn't have any theater anymore and there just aren't anything released that I feel are worth travel to another town, and pay the ridiculously high ticket prices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"