Where are the monsters?

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
there need to be big monsters in the film; to fight, to run from, to chase. Just like in the first film. The old TV series just didn't have the budget for big, scary creatures. This film series needs to up the ante in that regard. Swamp planets, forest planets, ice planets, desert planets, underwater planets. There should be multiple venues for encountering the various creatures.

This is not Star Wars...

And if you've seen the 9 min prelude: The monster you want is right there

there need to be big monsters in the film; to fight, to run from, to chase. Just like in the first film. The old TV series just didn't have the budget for big, scary creatures. This film series needs to up the ante in that regard. Swamp planets, forest planets, ice planets, desert planets, underwater planets. There should be multiple venues for encountering the various creatures.

isRhHchitPtZV.gif

They should have monsters for what purpose?

We had a monster chase in the 2009 film, and that was more than enough.

I want to see updated versions of the Gorn, Mugatu, and the salt vampire-metamorph.. ah.. now all that would be a wonder of FX..

I've seen the 9 minute preview, twice. Now my memory is not what it once was, but I definitely do not remember there being any monsters in it...

I want to see updated versions of the Gorn, Mugatu, and the salt vampire-metamorph.. ah.. now all that would be a wonder of FX..
Well I would certainly want to see an updated version of the Gorn. They tried to give us a CGI update in Enterprise, but it didn't look that good.

slar.jpg

I also would like to see the Salt Vampires again. Not a whole movie built around them, though.

If JJ was interested in making a real Star Trek film the Gorn would make a good villains.

Definitely finding myself asking this recently as well. Including - where are all the widely diverse planets? I'm finding it's mainly industrial, in and out of ships and in the city. I guess I'm just hoping for a planet sprawling adventure like the last film because that was one of my favorite parts in how diverse the film was.

I just truly believe the marketing department is hiding something because 50% of what is in trailer 2 is precisely from the 9 minute prologue, so they're just showing us the first 9 minutes of the film in the marketing! There has to be more planet hopping or something that they're not showing us because I just don't see JJ having this film be basically city-bound.

Last edited:
Does anyone else get the feeling that this version of Star Trek looks less credible ? I mean the crew looks great but the way they are written, they do Not feel like scientists, explorers like the old ones did.

Look at the pictures of old franchises, compared to them this version is shallow.

fnb5k.jpg
1z4elv6.jpg

33c7lz9.jpg

Does anyone else get the feeling that this version of Star Trek looks less credible?
Nope.
I mean the crew looks great
Yes they do.
but the way they are written, they do Not feel like scientists, explorers like the old ones did.
Like the old ones? You mean TOS from the 60's (I won't bring the sequel series in on this since the movie is made about the characters from the 60's series) where the only scientist was Mr. Spock? Or explorers like the Davey Jones from the rock group the MONKEES lookalike (Chekov was created to be a combination Jones and Illya Kuryakin from the Man from UNCLE). I mean, I know when I first watched TOS I immediately said to myself - Thank god they at least got actors like William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, and Grace Lee Whitney that look and feel like real scientists for the show.

Thank god they at least got actors like William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, and Grace Lee Whitney that look and feel like real scientists for the show.

Actually, Canada's entire National Research Council is staffed by hyperintelligent clones of William Shatner, so that part is true.

Unfortunately, we don't get too many discoveries from them. Because ... it ... takes ... them ... forever ... to ... explain ... everything.

Actually, Canada's entire National Research Council is staffed by hyperintelligent clones of William Shatner, so that part is true.

Unfortunately, we don't get too many discoveries from them. Because ... it ... takes ... them ... forever ... to ... explain ... everything.

That can't be true....Rodney McKay speaks a mile a minute.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this version of Star Trek looks less credible ? I mean the crew looks great but the way they are written, they do Not feel like scientists, explorers like the old ones did.

Look at the pictures of old franchises, compared to them this version is shallow.

fnb5k.jpg
1z4elv6.jpg

33c7lz9.jpg

I blame it on the fact that they are still supposed to be the young, or younger, versions of the characters as we know them in the original series.

As stated in footage descriptions for Star Trek Into Darkness,
They haven't even gone on the 5 year mission yet.

I'm sure we'll get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"