Comics where's the Secret Origins miniseries?

I did. It's pretty much forbidden to say so in the Superman boards, but I'll take Birthright over Byrne-man any day of the week.

I'm a fan of Birthright, but also MOS. That must make me an oddball.

Here's a preview of Secret Origins #1
http://comics.ign.com/articles/101/1013756p1.html
I'm a fan of alot of superman origins from birthright to superman for all seasons to MOS to even the silver and golden age origins because to me it's all original takes on the main points baby rockets from krypton to earth, found by kind couple, learns how to be a hero, moves to metropolis and fights for truth justice and american was as superman

Ireally want to buy this book now

Haha, nice! A little nod to Smallville with
Clark saving Lana from the tornado and him "flying". I'm a little confused as to why it just showed up out of nowhere...

I'll say this: I like that Byrne established that Clark was the actual person and Superman the disguise. Of course then it made no sense that he had statues of his kryptonian parents in his fortress... I agree with whoever else said that otherwise he was shaking things up for the sake of shaking things up.

For the record, I loves me some Birthright! There were a few quirky details to it, but I thought the stroy was solid. The art definitely put it over the top though. I thought Yu's art was awesome. Ofcourse, the one thing it did that I didn't like was that it made Clark the disguise somewhat.

I am very much anticipating this. Superman and the Legion and Superman:Brainiac by Johns and Frank were both home runs in my book, so if I trust anyone with this, it's them. They seem to be doing what I've always wanted in a superman origin: blending the best and most memorable points of every version from every medium, whether it be comics, cartoons, or live action. It makes it something that almost everyone will be able to pick up and immeadiately attatch to.

did anyone else besides me like the martian manhunter's reference with

Saul Erdal's book "are we alone"
and I agree with JackIvy. John and Frank scored big with books such as Superman and the Legion of superheroes, Brainiac so I trust that I'm really doing to enjoy this book because it really combines different moments of superman comics with John's flair of telling things to comic in superman stories so I'm going enjoy buying this book

I'm very optimistic. I love what Johns and Frank have been doing. I think that it's pretty well accepted that Clark is the real person and Superman is a vehicle for him to use his abilities.

I hate superboy in smallville,but i dont mind superboy in the future

I hate superboy in smallville,but i dont mind superboy in the future
I think superboy is an important part anywhere. here are my reasons for this thinking
1.He is learing how to be a superhero
2. He can save multiple disasters andhe can figure everything out through this time on how he can make a perfect disguse
3.it gives people hope

and in the silver age
1. the most important characters were introduced because of superman (the legion of superheroes, zod, Bizarro, phantom zone, Lana Lang, Smallville etc) as well as important ideas as clark and lex being freinds, lana getting superpowers, etc which are ideas still being used now in things like smallville, superman birthright, etc

Has this book even come out yet..? I've stopped picking up the Superman books until New Krypton is over but I did want to see this one... if only for curiosity's sake.

Agreed another thing I wish thr Legion would just call him Superman like they did in thr Legion of Super Heroes cartoon.
I like that Lois is the one that names him superman but I'm okay with him using superman as a codename for the Legion

Superboy as Clark Kent first meets Lex Luthor at the Smallville county fair?
stupidhj.jpg

stupidkjlp.jpg

stupidjklph.jpg

Lex Luthor hates him for causing him to drop Kryptonite and cut his hand? Teenage Lex Luthor in Smallville and Clark rescuing Lana from a tornado are obviously for the Smallville TV show fans.

stupidhj.jpg

stupidkjlp.jpg

stupidjklph.jpg

Lex Luthor hates him for causing him to drop Kryptonite and cut his hand? Teenage Lex Luthor in Smallville and Clark rescuing Lana from a tornado are obviously for the Smallville TV show fans.
well the whole teenage Lex thing could have came from anywhere like
the superboy comics or tv shows of when Clark and Lex Luthor became friends again post superman birthright
and smallville took influence from superman for all season where there was a tornado
but you could be right there could be some influence from smallville

stupidhj.jpg

stupidkjlp.jpg

stupidjklph.jpg

I'm sure there's more to it than that...

I've been a bit disconnected from the comics world. Is the Secret Origin a miniseries? Or will it reboot the whole Superman comics series?

I've been a bit disconnected from the comics world. Is the Secret Origin a miniseries? Or will it reboot the whole Superman comics series?
It's a miniseries that we'll talk about the flashbacks that happened since ifinite crisis as well as what might happen later in superman comics

So far, I think this will be the best version of Superman's origin yet! If there is anyone who can write Superman in this day and age, it's Geoff Johns! I loved "Last Son", "Escape from Bizzaro World" and of course "Brainiac", so I'm certain that this will be awesome. Plus, the artwork is some of the best I ever seen in a Superman comic.

This origin will probably take the best elements from all his previous origin stories (Golden, Silver, Bronze and Iron/Modern) and combine them to make a definitive version of his origin for this era.

Also, I think this one will be way better than John Bryne's take on Superman. I don't think his version is bad, but it's not as good as other versions. He did some good things for Supes by powering him down and giving him more personal conflict, but sometimes I think he gave him too much. He made him less about kicking bad guy ass and more about whining about not being around for Lois enough. Also, I think he kind of screwed up his rogues gallery. He ruined the simple concept of Brainiac being a computer from space and he made Lex Luthor all together evil, taking away that element of tragedy from his character. And I hated how he made him dislike his Krytonian heritage. He should be proud to be of both Krypton and Earth.

so far i am loving this version this might be my favorite origin outside of stm

nothing new, but very well done. i look forward to the rest of the series being enjoyable.

So I take it no one liked Superman Birthright?

I did--far better then what I've read of MOS, I thought. It also has quite possibly the greatest evil Luthor moment EVER. :woot:

Teenage Lex Luthor in Smallville and Clark rescuing Lana from a tornado are obviously for the Smallville TV show fans.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Smallville got it from Jeph Loeb's Superman: For All Seasons mini. The only real Smallville reference I saw was the "Chloe S" on Pete's cast.

As for Secret Origins--very solid issue. It's Johns at what he does best--taking these silver age concepts and using them to tell a complelling story.

The greatest part, though?

Young Clark Kent coming out in the Superboy costume Ma made for him reminiscant of A Christmas Story and saying, "This is the last time I'll ever wear this!" :woot:

Actually, I'm pretty sure Smallville got it from Jeph Loeb's Superman: For All Seasons mini.

Teenage Lex Luthor in Smallville and Clark rescuing Lana from the tornado and the teenage angst are pandering to the Smallville TV show fans. Many more people watch Smallville and have never read a Jeph Loeb comic book.

So far, I think this will be the best version of Superman's origin yet! If there is anyone who can write Superman in this day and age, it's Geoff Johns! I loved "Last Son", "Escape from Bizzaro World" and of course "Brainiac", so I'm certain that this will be awesome. Plus, the artwork is some of the best I ever seen in a Superman comic.

This origin will probably take the best elements from all his previous origin stories (Golden, Silver, Bronze and Iron/Modern) and combine them to make a definitive version of his origin for this era.

Also, I think this one will be way better than John Bryne's take on Superman. I don't think his version is bad, but it's not as good as other versions. He did some good things for Supes by powering him down and giving him more personal conflict, but sometimes I think he gave him too much. He made him less about kicking bad guy ass and more about whining about not being around for Lois enough.

Superman cared about Lois but John Byrne never had Superman whining about not being around for Lois enough.

Also, I think he kind of screwed up his rogues gallery. He ruined the simple concept of Brainiac being a computer from space
John Byrne didn't do anything with Brainiac. That was Marv Wolfman and Jerry Ordway who created the Vril Dox Brainiac in 1988. I prefer the H.R. Giger influenced design of the robot Brainiac by Ed Hannigan in 1983 along with the Skull Ship.
supw3brainiac.jpg

and he made Lex Luthor all together evil, taking away that element of tragedy from his character.
Making Lex Luthor sympathetic had diluted Luthor's evilness. I prefer Luthor to be an unsympathetic vicious sadistic bastard with a god-complex like he was in the Golden Age.

And I hated how he made him dislike his Krytonian heritage. He should be proud to be of both Krypton and Earth.
It's difficult to be proud of a dead planet that is so foreign to him. Krypton is alien to him. He would actually have a problem trying to understand what being Kryptonian is all about. All he has really known his entire life is Earthlings and Earth culture as he was raised assimilated into Earths Kansas farm culture as a baby. He grew up in a very loving household raised by two Earthlings that were parents in every conceivable way. The only parents he had ever known. He is formed by the Kent's upbringing and views his Kryptonian heritage only as a curious memento of a life that might have been.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"