Superman Reboot theory.

protocida

Avenger
Reaction score
I Have a theory about the Superman reboot and why whe aren't hearing anything about it after it's announcement months ago:

It's well know that Warner is planning to reboot Superman to distance it from Bryan Singer's version and, by default, Richard Donner's version. Mark Millar statements about Warner checking his script indicates that they're willing to retell Superman's origin.

In the meantime, DC Comics approves Geoff Johns and Gary Frank to retell Superman's origin in the six-parted "Superman: Secret Origins" debuting next year. The same Johns and Frank that are receveing several compliments by their run in "Action Comics" and the big Saga New Krypton.

So, i think it's possible that Warner is awaiting "Superman: Secret Origins" lauching to adapt it in the new Superman movie reboot. What do you think?

I can already see one glaring flaw in your theory.

You suggested that WB is waiting to adapt Johns' and Frank's Secret Origins story in a bid to reboot the Superman film franchise away from the Donner era.

Problem is, judging by these covers for the aforementioned Secret Origins story, there's going to be a fair bit of the Donner era IN this origin story:
origin_CVRs.jpg

I did not expressed myself correctly.

I don't mean they WANT to get away of Donner's version. I mean they want to get away of Singer's version and, by default, they'd have to get away of Donner's version because they share the same cronology.

Donner's version is a classic. I think that, if the producers could use it to make a new movie without confusing the audience because of the Singer issue.

Actually, it even adds more sense to my vision (Which i hope i'm beeing able to express LOL). Adapting Johns's version, they can have Donner's version without having it. Ya got my gig?

Depending on the timeline of when they plan for this film to come out and how the reception is of this story I think it will have a major influence on the film. Johns has a great interview with newsarama right now and he says its not going to be smallville or STM its going to be his own story.

Obviously the fortress is similar but they more or less decided on that in 2006. That doesn't mean that all of krypton has to look like its made from crystals. It can have various designs and the crystals could be one type of technology.

The one thing I think they would probably leave out is the legion of superheroes part of his origin. This story looks like its also going to touch upon, metallo luthor and parasite if you look at the covers.

The Legion of the Superheroes arc would be left off, obviously.

But, depending of John's plans for Luthor, Metallo, Parasite and Bizarro, whe might be able to maintain them (And have Brainiac, Zod, Darkside and Etc) on the sequels.

I Have a theory about the Superman reboot and why whe aren't hearing anything about it after it's announcement months ago:

It's well know that Warner is planning to reboot Superman to distance it from Bryan Singer's version and, by default, Richard Donner's version. Mark Millar statements about Warner checking his script indicates that they're willing to retell Superman's origin.

In the meantime, DC Comics approves Geoff Johns and Gary Frank to retell Superman's origin in the six-parted "Superman: Secret Origins" debuting next year. The same Johns and Frank that are receveing several compliments by their run in "Action Comics" and the big Saga New Krypton.

So, i think it's possible that Warner is awaiting "Superman: Secret Origins" lauching to adapt it in the new Superman movie reboot. What do you think?

When I found out they were doing a new origin for Superman months and months ago, I had the same theory. That the new comic run would serve as the new origin for the reboot to be. It is possible that a lot of elements from this origin tale finds its way into a new Superman movie.

When I found out they were doing a new origin for Superman months and months ago, I had the same theory. That the new comic run would serve as the new origin for the reboot to be. It is possible that a lot of elements from this origin tale finds its way into a new Superman movie.

Well I think it depends on how it is received by fans, I mean just look at birthright it was set to be the official origin story until the backlash from fans.

You suggested that WB is waiting to adapt Johns' and Frank's Secret Origins story in a bid to reboot the Superman film franchise away from the Donner era.

Problem is, judging by these covers for the aforementioned Secret Origins story, there's going to be a fair bit of the Donner era IN this origin story:
origin_CVRs.jpg

I hope that I'm not really seeing a return to the Silver Age of Superboy and the Legion Clubhouse. I would really hate that.

I'm also not a fan of Crystaline Krypton. I'm hoping that isn't a part of this either.

I hope that I'm not really seeing a return to the Silver Age of Superboy and the Legion Clubhouse. I would really hate that.

I'm also not a fan of Crystaline Krypton. I'm hoping that isn't a part of this either.

Guess you haven't been reading the comics the past few years have you?

As Mego Joe said, apparently you haven't been reading Superman comics lately because this isn't a return of Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes. That's been brought back quite some time ago. Superboy was brought back in the end of Infinite Crisis.

Krypton in the comics is a combination of the Silver Age and Donner Kryptons.

If the story turns out to be as good as I'm hoping, that would be great.

I would have loved to see an origin with luthor, metallo and parasite but it also has its limitations. Depending on how long they want to spend on the origin I think it would really short change luthor.

Thats why I would want to see brainaic with the sequel being able to focus on luthor, his hate for superman and henchmen such as parasite and metalo. You could have more of the reporting aspect which luthor provides if lois and clark investigate him. Also metallo could be explained if they used a brainiac droans body and brainiacs knowledge to create him. I could almost see brainiac as a catalist to some of his villains that are more out there.

It should be interesting how its received but I'm still thinking they'll use the beginning aspects and end up changing the villain because luthor has been used 1 time to many.

I think it's canonical that Superman's first foe was Lex Luthor. Even if Lex does't play a big part, he must be in the first movie.

Krypton in the comics is a combination of the Silver Age and Donner Kryptons.

Yup. I hope they at least keep the interior of the new Fortress pretty much the same as what they've got now; IMO it's a nice blend of the two...
Action_Comics_Annual_10_Fortress_spread-797093.jpg

I think you're going to be pretty disappointed judging by the picture in your post...:oldrazz:

why.....why must the silver age all but officially return?

why.....why must the silver age all but officially return?

Why do people complain about the Silver Age coming back in several DC comics like Superman, Green Lantern, and the Flash. As long as the stories are great (and for that matter they are), that's all that should matter.

Johns' use of the Silver Age for Superman has been excellently done.

As long as the stories are great (and for that matter they are), that's all that should matter.
But it's not all that it matters, because there are conceptual variations from era to era. It's unrealistic to assume that everyone will like the current comics, despite the return of the Silver Age, as it was unrealistic to believe that everyone would like Byrne's '86 reboot, which was vastly different than the Silver/Bronze Age. No matter how well-written the stories are.

origin_CVRs.jpg

As much as I love Gary Frank's art, there is something creepy about the younger versions of Clark here. Christopher Reeve's face on a kid doesn't really work for me.

DC/Warner comes out with atleast 3 Superman origin/reorigins a year... it therefore means nothing.

This exact same situation happened when SR was coming into being.

origin_CVRs.jpg

Clearly, there is only one thing in this picture that links it to donner. So I think your conclusion is a little bit out there.

DC/Warner comes out with atleast 3 Superman origin/reorigins a year... it therefore means nothing.

This exact same situation happened when SR was coming into being.
No it didn't what happened around the time of Superman Returns was One Year Later. Which was not an origin telling but was actually leading into this new origin we are about to get now. The only thing that Superman Returns did to the comics was the addition of Chris Kent (who it was reported we will be seeing again soon) and that while we got Donner/Silver age Krypton we got Singer's Metropolis and Superman Returns suit that's all that Superman Returns did to the comics. Birthright was widely not accepted as the new origin for Superman mainly because it was suppose to be the jump off for their Ultimate line but mid way through was made into the new origin which then messed up so many stories of the past. I for one am very interested in this book and hope that this will be the blue print for the next movie. Hell you could even title the movie Superman: Secret Origin if you wanted to. I am also looking forward to the Secret Origin books for Batman and Wonder Woman that will soon be coming out as well.

Last edited:
Clearly, there is only one thing in this picture that links it to donner. So I think your conclusion is a little bit out there.
Well if you read the Superman comics a lot of things comes from Donner now. The way Clark acts, the FOS, the look of Krypton, the Jor-El hologram, the use of Crystals, even the ship that sent him to eath. So its not one thing however Johns may change that with this book but I don't see him changing much since he added all this stuff in there in the first place.

Why do people complain about the Silver Age coming back in several DC comics like Superman, Green Lantern, and the Flash. As long as the stories are great (and for that matter they are), that's all that should matter.

Johns' use of the Silver Age for Superman has been excellently done.

I think what's really nice is that Johns and Morrison on Batman are trying to incorporate aspects of ALL eras into the books. After the R.I.P. storyline in Batman even Bat-Mite and the sci-fi Batman stories now fit into Batman's history. Johns has done the same thing incorporating all the Braniacs into a grand unified Braniac. It's not just that it's going back to the Silver Age, it's that the Silver Age is being re-incorporated instead of throwing out version like after Crisis On Infinite Earths. THere are plenty of post-Crisis aspects that are still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"