Superman Reboot theory.

His Superman run post-Camelot was just as unreadable. A pity, for the man who once wrote "Secret Identity".
The Camelot stuff with Khyber was pretty cool. But the Third Kryptonian gave me a feeling of "That's it?" and his dialogue for Chris was horrid with the "Mama Lois."

I personally found Busiek to be rather underwhelming and was annoyed whenever he wrote Chris Kent's dialogue.

I guess I found Chris Kent annoying so it that didn't bother me.
I find Robinson to be much better. I loved his use of Krypto. And I can't wait for Rucka to take over Action Comics.

Yes, Krypto had a nice moment at the end of the "Atlas" arc.

The Camelot stuff with Khyber was pretty cool. But the Third Kryptonian gave me a feeling of "That's it?" and his dialogue for Chris was horrid with the "Mama Lois."

I know what you mean about the third Kryptonian thing, but I still liked that story. I liked a lot of the single issue stories he did. The "Back in Action" story was good as well. I think Busiek's stories suffered a bit from the "Last Son" story being so far behind schedule that he was pressed into heavy duty service for both Superman and Action for a while. Chris Kent was not supposed to be around in all those stories anyway, so it's possile they suffered from re-writing. I just tried to not pay attention to Chris Kent and just focussed on the Superman stuff.
I think something I preferred about Busiek's stuff was that it didn't have the heavy Donner influence which Johns' stuff has, especially in Last Son which Donner was co-writing. IMO, Johns' best Superman stuff has been the stories with the Legion and the recent Braniac arc. I found "Last Son" completely forgettable and "Return to Bizarro World" just sort of flat.

I never found much reason to blame Busiek's work on Chris Kent, simply because I don't like that little *(&#^*#%. But the completely forgettable Third Kryptonian ark was a mess and the Insect Queen... what the crap?

I didn't care about Robinson's Atlas storyline either, though I hear his latest stuff is pretty decent.

In my opinion, what Geoff Johns has done is take the post-crisis continuity and characters, and then has found ways to turn them back into there pre-crisis incarnations without starting from scratch. I'm sorry, but I do not like Lex Luthor as a mad scientist/criminal mastermind. Lex Luthor, for me, will always be a corporate businessman/politician. It's just better, hands down in my opinion. And I want Clark Kent as the real, everyday person and Superman as the symbol of hope, not an alien jesus. And I'm afraid this is going to spill over into the next movie, and we will get a tweaked version of the Donner flick, and I do not want that. I want the post-crisis movie with Clark as the real person, Lex as a business mongul/President, a likeable Lois, Kryptonian Braniac, etc etc. You pre-crisis folks have gotten the things you wanted, what about us who love the newer Superman stories. I'm sick of being left out in the cold. I'm being dramatic, but I do not care.

Now, Geoff Johns is a helluva writer, and I wish he was on the post-crisis team, but sadly, he is not. Johns is like Barack Obama for silver age/Donner lovers. I want my Barack Obama, darn it.

If I had my way, in an attempt to please everyone, I would let Johns write all the silver age/Donner stories he wanted, but I would also have a comic that was pure post-crisis/TAS based. The best of both worlds. No matter what, that would be fair to everyone.

I will say that I'm digging the idea that Secret Origin starts with Clark's first memory and nothing will actually take place of Krypton. I've always said I would do something like that. That way, the audience, along with Clark, will only know Jor-El and Lara through hologram recordings.

In my opinion, what Geoff Johns has done is take the post-crisis continuity and characters, and then has found ways to turn them back into there pre-crisis incarnations without starting from scratch. I'm sorry, but I do not like Lex Luthor as a mad scientist/criminal mastermind. Lex Luthor, for me, will always be a corporate businessman/politician. It's just better, hands down in my opinion. And I want Clark Kent as the real, everyday person and Superman as the symbol of hope, not an alien jesus. And I'm afraid this is going to spill over into the next movie, and we will get a tweaked version of the Donner flick, and I do not want that. I want the post-crisis movie with Clark as the real person, Lex as a business mongul/President, a likeable Lois, Kryptonian Braniac, etc etc. You pre-crisis folks have gotten the things you wanted, what about us who love the newer Superman stories. I'm sick of being left out in the cold. I'm being dramatic, but I do not care.

Now, Geoff Johns is a helluva writer, and I wish he was on the post-crisis team, but sadly, he is not. Johns is like Barack Obama for silver age/Donner lovers. I want my Barack Obama, darn it.

If I had my way, in an attempt to please everyone, I would let Johns write all the silver age/Donner stories he wanted, but I would also have a comic that was pure post-crisis/TAS based. The best of both worlds. No matter what, that would be fair to everyone.

I don't want Alien Jesus or the bumbling Clark either, but I do like how Johns has incorporated all the versions into one unified version with things like the Fortress and Brainiac and the Legion of Super-Heroes. I wouldn't be surprised if Lex got control of his company again down the road.

origin_CVRs.jpg
and i thought that only fanboys are obssesed with donner.
guess not.

this needs to stop. i see f... Reeve in thos drawings.

I don't want Alien Jesus or the bumbling Clark either, but I do like how Johns has incorporated all the versions into one unified version with things like the Fortress and Brainiac and the Legion of Super-Heroes. I wouldn't be surprised if Lex got control of his company again down the road.

Corporate Lex was great, but I think it's time to move on past that. With all the stuff he's done, he could only get away with it for so long.

Not only that but LexCorp is practically worthless nowadays with Bruce Wayne and Wayne Enterprises owning most of LexCorp's assets and Lana Lang selling off most of LexCorp's remaining assets.

and i thought that only fanboys are obssesed with donner.
guess not.

this needs to stop. i see f... Reeve in thos drawings.

Gary Frank said that before he started drawing Action Comics that Reeve was his main inspiration for Superman's look because he hates Superman looking like a bodybuilder and the Superman line is currently run by a Donner fanatic.

Guess you haven't been reading the comics the past few years have you?

Let's put it this way ....

I've been buying them....

reading them....

but being engaged by them? uh... not really.

I absolutely am not a fan of the direction DiDio is taking Superman.. or most of the DC line-up for that matter.

Let's put it this way ....

I've been buying them....

reading them....

but being engaged by them? uh... not really.

I absolutely am not a fan of the direction DiDio is taking Superman.. or most of the DC line-up for that matter.

I'm not a fan of DiDio either, but the one who's taking Superman in the direction it is in is Geoff Johns. The only books that DiDio is personally managing are the Titan books.

I'm a fan of the direction superman is being taken in because for once they are actually trying to make his villains more than just a cheap gimmick and actually give them a story. I can't wait to see what he does with Metallo and Parasite.

Corporate Lex was great, but I think it's time to move on past that. With all the stuff he's done, he could only get away with it for so long.

Not only that but LexCorp is practically worthless nowadays with Bruce Wayne and Wayne Enterprises owning most of LexCorp's assets and Lana Lang selling off most of LexCorp's remaining assets.

FOrgot about that!!

I respect the hell out Geoff Johns writing ability, but he just isn't writing about my favorite versions of the Superman characters.

I respect the hell out Geoff Johns writing ability, but he just isn't writing about my favorite versions of the Superman characters.

I can appreciate that. Eventhough I've enjoyed some of his stories, there are aspects I haven't cared for. Overall, his JSA and GL stuff seems to be better. But I find his Legion stuff so far to be the best/ most enjoyable.

I can appreciate that. Eventhough I've enjoyed some of his stories, there are aspects I haven't cared for. Overall, his JSA and GL stuff seems to be better. But I find his Legion stuff so far to be the best/ most enjoyable.

I've been loving Johns' use of Gog and how it's dividing the JSA. And I can't wait for his return to the Flash mythos.

That said, I do pretty much view Johns and Brubaker as comic book writing gods and buy whatever the hell they write. I buy Booster Gold because he was on it, Booster ****ing Gold.

I've been loving Johns' use of Gog and how it's dividing the JSA. And I can't wait for his return to the Flash mythos.

That said, I do pretty much view Johns and Brubaker as comic book writing gods and buy whatever the hell they write. I buy Booster Gold because he was on it, Booster ****ing Gold.

Johns approach to Booster as a time travelling hero with Rip Hunter sold me. I really have been enjoying that book. The concepts set up by Katz and Johns for that title should be able to be carried on by other competent writers.

I too look forward to Johns handling of Barry Allen.

As for JSA- the Gog thing is taking a while to play out, but reads welll when read in big chunks. I am most excited about JSI of Earth-2.

Brubaker's Captain America has been unbelievably good. It seemed to get better once Captain America was killed. Now isn't THAT weird? He's done a great job with Bucky and Co., especially Natasha and Bucky. I mean- wow. It's just been a fantastic book for about what, 4 years?

Johns approach to Booster as a time travelling hero with Rip Hunter sold me. I really have been enjoying that book. The concepts set up by Katz and Johns for that title should be able to be carried on by other competent writers.
Yeah, I was kinda worried when Remender came onto the book but he made a nice story that had *****y Mc***** ***** the Super ***** as a character. I'm looking forward to what Jurgens will bring.

I too look forward to Johns handling of Barry Allen.

As for JSA- the Gog thing is taking a while to play out, but reads welll when read in big chunks. I am most excited about JSI of Earth-2.

Brubaker's Captain America has been unbelievably good. It seemed to get better once Captain America was killed. Now isn't THAT weird? He's done a great job with Bucky and Co., especially Natasha and Bucky. I mean- wow. It's just been a fantastic book for about what, 4 years?
:up:

I hope that Johns knows that the definitive Lex is the corporate/politician Lex. Lex better get his damn company back via dirty but smart tactics here soon.

I hope that Johns knows that the definitive Lex is the corporate/politician Lex. Lex better get his damn company back via dirty but smart tactics here soon.

If Lex goes back to being a corporate styled villain, he better make a new company. LexCorp is worthless.

And Lex's political career is over.

Personally while I do see the definitive Lex as the corporate/politician Lex, I see that particular chapter of Lex Luthor to be over and closed. His crimes have been fully exposed and he could only get away with what he was doing for so long. Sorta like Umbrella from Resident Evil.

Heck, between "Last Son" and "New Krypton", IMO the solution to that is as simple as two words: military contractor.

If Lex goes back to being a corporate styled villain, he better make a new company. LexCorp is worthless.

And Lex's political career is over.

Personally while I do see the definitive Lex as the corporate/politician Lex, I see that particular chapter of Lex Luthor to be over and closed. His crimes have been fully exposed and he could only get away with what he was doing for so long. Sorta like Umbrella from Resident Evil.
I see Lex more like the Kingpin. Where now the Kingpin has been exposed for everything he has done but at the same time is still feared and even more powerful because he has nothing to loss.

I see Lex more like the Kingpin. Where now the Kingpin has been exposed for everything he has done but at the same time is still feared and even more powerful because he has nothing to loss.
The Kingpin is gone. His empire was taken down and put to jail by Daredevil, no longer feared because he was beaten by Spider-Man in front of everyone.

And when he was let go from jail, he renounced his US Citizenship and left. The Hood has taken his place.

The definitive Lex Luthor is a combination of the corporate, mastermind, and scientist. More than just adept at hostile takeovers, Lex should be the smartest man in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"