Which Alfred was you're favorite?

Gough was clearly the best. I find Caine is far too working class, thrown in just because he is Michael Caine. He is a rather unconvincing butler in my mind.

Whilst Alfred has been played by other actors, Gough was consistantly superior, even when the rest of the film was falling around him. Believable as a butler, whilst still being a necessary and solid character.

Well, live action wise I voted for Michael Gough, but Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Will always be Alfred for me.

Cyrusbales post is 1000% accurate and scientists have proven it as a fact that Caine was a bad Alfred.

No he certainly wasnt bad but just not alfred pennyworth the name doesnt even suit the character caine portrayed.

Though BB remains my favorite live-action Bat-film, and Caine was quite good in my mind, Gough is the best. His scenes in Batman and Robin made for the best acting in the movie.

My favorite was Efrem Zimbalist Jr. from the animated series, but in terms of live action, my vote went to Caine. Caine's Alfred was meant to portray the military background that Alfred had, and I find it odd that so many fanboys that are otherwise nitpicky and demanding of comic accuracy seem to dislike that aspect of Caine's Alfred. :huh: Anyway, while I like Caine the most in terms of live action, nothing he does will ever diminish what Gough did, as Gough created some of my favorite moments in the Batman movies. Like where he tells Bruce that he doesn't want to spend his few remaining years mourning over the loss of his friends... or their sons. I love the way he delivered that line. And the talk that he had with Dick in BF ("Broken wings mend in time...") was so great that it almost made up for the silly Two-Face and over the top Riddler.

But Caine gets my vote because he's not afraid to give Bruce some lip. One of my favorite moments in the animated series (it was in MOTP, I believe) was when Batman looks at Alfred and says, "You think you know everything about me, don't you?" To which Alfred gives the sassy reply, "I diapered your bottom, I bloody well ought to... sir!" That's Alfred to me. Caine's Alfred wouldn't think twice about sassing Batman like that, as he was very confrontational with Bruce when he thought he was doing something wrong. Gough's Alfred, while great, was more meek and and humble. He'd probably see it as improper to talk to Bruce that way. While it was obvious that Gough's Alfred wasn't happy with some of the actions of Keaton's Batman, the way that he expressed that was much more low key. As a matter of fact, he seemed to prefer letting Vicki say some of the things that he was afraid to say himself.
No he certainly wasnt bad but just not alfred pennyworth the name doesnt even suit the character caine portrayed.
He might not be Alfred to you, but he's Alfred to Batman fans all over the world, whether you like it or not.

Bat-Mite, being in the military doesn't have $h!t to do with shunning good taste and refinement. Quite the opposite. I can understand the more assertive personality, in that he is more direct in telling Bruce where he's wrong and right, but I'm more irked about how Alfred dressed, his accent, and the way he went about being direct. Alfred at the end of the day is Bruce's butler, and no matter how much older the butler is to the master, or how much the wiser, he is still a subordinate, rather servile individual. BB Alfred treated Bruce too much like a son, and not enough like a master. Alfred can get away with a few snappy lines here and there to keep everything in order (ex. that diaper line from MOTP), but Caine was doing it right and left... and I had the impression that Bruce needed to slap him.

LoL. I agree with Bat-Mite, Gough was great but I did miss the 'assertive' personality. May have been due to his age, but Caine pulled it off very well.

Bat-Mite, being in the military doesn't have $h!t to do with shunning good taste and refinement. Quite the opposite. I can understand the more assertive personality, in that he is more direct in telling Bruce where he's wrong and right, but I'm more irked about how Alfred dressed, his accent, and the way he went about being direct. Alfred at the end of the day is Bruce's butler, and no matter how much older the butler is to the master, or how much the wiser, he is still a subordinate, rather servile individual. BB Alfred treated Bruce too much like a son, and not enough like a master. Alfred can get away with a few snappy lines here and there to keep everything in order (ex. that diaper line from MOTP), but Caine was doing it right and left... and I had the impression that Bruce needed to slap him.

co-sign. Gough did make his smart alecky remarks and was a father figure when neccessary but I feel the most important thing about his performance that really attracted me to it is that at the end of the day he still knew his place as the butler of the house. In the comics that's how Alfred's demeanor has pretty much been so to me it appeals more though I liked the Alfred from Nolan's movie as well.

co-sign. Gough did make his smart alecky remarks and was a father figure when neccessary but I feel the most important thing about his performance that really attracted me to it is that at the end of the day he still knew his place as the butler of the house. In the comics that's how Alfred's demeanor has pretty much been so to me it appeals more though I liked the Alfred from Nolan's movie as well.

Agreed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"