Guardians of the Galaxy Which Alien races does Marvel Studios have the rights to?

speno94

Civilian
Reaction score
I just wanted to clear something up because I am a little confused with the rights between Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox regarding various alien races from the comics.

Back when the first Avengers trailer came out, fans where speculating who the alien race was with Loki and naturally everyone said 'Is it the Skrulls or the Kree?' then Joss Whedon said that Marvel don't own the rights to them and in the end they turned out to be the Chitauri from the Ultimates 1 which Marvel do have the rights to.

However in Guardians of the Galaxy and various episodes of Agents of Shield, Kree are mentioned and Ronan is a Kree, so now it looks like Marvel do own the Kree which a couple of years ago Joss said they didn't.

Also in Guardians of the Galaxy, James Gunn mentioned that the Badoon and Bug was in the original script, but he had to take them out because Fox owned them and had to change the Badoon to the Sakaaran which is a race from Planet Hulk.

Does anyone have a list or know what the rights are between each studios are for the alien races? I also heard that Fox/Marvel have partial rights to the Skrulls and the Kree?

I'm guessing:

Marvel Studios
> Chitauri
> Kree (Partial)
> Skrulls (Partial)
> Sakaaran
> Celestials

20th Century Fox
> Skrulls (Partial)
> Super Skrull
> Kree (Partial)
> Badoon
> Silver Surfer
> Galactus

What about the Watchers, Shi'ar and the Phalanx?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think They share the Skrulls

Marvel most likely sold Annihlus, Shi'Ar & Badoon

I'm wondering what is the status of the Sh'iar. The race originated in the X-Men but a few select characters debuted in other titles, such as Deathbird debuting in Ms. Marvel. Would she be prevented from appearing in the Captain Marvel movie?

I'd be willing to bet The Brood are on the table for both studios.

Fox owns the Shi'Ar (confirmed now). They're over with the X-Men despite War of Kings being the big Guardians/Inhumans team-up story and Deathbird being a major Ms. Marvel villain. Marvel seriously needs to cut a deal with Fox like agree to create merch for Fox-produced films in exchange for shared rights to the Shi'Ar.

Breaking it down

Sony
Symbiotes

Marvel
Kree
Chitauri
Celestials
Sakaaran
Skrulls (shared)
Rigelian
Korbinite
Zen-Whobarian
Cotati
Flora Colossus
Spartoi
Ego the Living Planet
Inhumans
Eternals

Fox
Badoon (Fantastic Four)
Skrulls (shared)
Shi'Ar (X-Men)
Zen Lavaian (Fantastic Four)
Suarid (X-Men)
Mephitisoid (X-Men)
Chr'yllite (X-Men)
Fonabi (Fantastic Four)
Popuppian (Fantastic Four)
Landlak (Fantastic Four)
Baluurian (Fantastic Four)
Whatever Lockheed is (X-Men)
Arthrosian (Fantastic Four)
Traanian (Fantastic Four)
Whatever Raza Longknife is (X-Men)
Phalanx and Technarchy (X-Men)
Watchers (Fantastic Four)

And I have no clue about the Brood. They're tied to both Ms. Marvel and the X-Men so they could very well be shared. Additionally, Marvel owns the rights to most cosmic beings. The only exceptions are Galactus who's over at Fox and Scrier who's unusable due to Fox and Sony both owning parts of the character.

Marvel's cosmic rights are a mess. On the plus side, Marvel owns the rights to most supernatural characters. The few they don't are over at Sony.

Hopefully Fox sell the rights for ff and silver surfer back to marvel. Not having the shiar would be a pity but i'm sure we could live with it.

Hopefully Fox sell the rights for ff and silver surfer back to marvel. Not having the shiar would be a pity but i'm sure we could live with it.

I am hoping Fox wants an X-Men tv show bad enough that they will trade the FF/SS rights to Marvel for it

I just wanted to clear something up because I am a little confused with the rights between Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox regarding various alien races from the comics.

Back when the first Avengers trailer came out, fans where speculating who the alien race was with Loki and naturally everyone said 'Is it the Skrulls or the Kree?' then Joss Whedon said that Marvel don't own the rights to them and in the end they turned out to be the Chitauri from the Ultimates 1 which Marvel do have the rights to.

However in Guardians of the Galaxy and various episodes of Agents of Shield, Kree are mentioned and Ronan is a Kree, so now it looks like Marvel do own the Kree which a couple of years ago Joss said they didn't.

Also in Guardians of the Galaxy, James Gunn mentioned that the Badoon and Bug was in the original script, but he had to take them out because Fox owned them and had to change the Badoon to the Sakaaran which is a race from Planet Hulk.

Does anyone have a list or know what the rights are between each studios are for the alien races? I also heard that Fox/Marvel have partial rights to the Skrulls and the Kree?

I'm guessing:

Marvel Studios
> Chitauri
> Kree (Partial)
> Skrulls (Partial)
> Sakaaran
> Celestials

20th Century Fox
> Skrulls (Partial)
> Super Skrull
> Kree (Partial)
> Badoon
> Silver Surfer
> Galactus

Thanks!

I remember Feige saying they couldn't use Skrulls, but remember no such thing for the Kree. Also, Bug is most definitely not with FOX. Although I have no clue who owns him. Could be that he's tied with the Micronauts movierights, but that wouldn't really make sense as he's a Marvel original character.

Bug makes the most sense with Hasbro if Marvel doesn't own him
I strongly suspect the brood are with Fox (the best Brood stories are certainly with them and her Ms. Marvel stories are callbacks to her previous X-Men stories). Likewise with the Shi'ar.

I'm still holding out hope the Watcher is shared, but I suspect he belongs to Fox.

I am hoping Fox wants an X-Men tv show bad enough that they will trade the FF/SS rights to Marvel for it

Would love it but i think it's highly doubtful. Didn't fox buy the rights for ff for something like $60m. They would be worth far more to marvel now. Think marvel would have to offer a lot more than just the rights to a tv show.

I'm guessing:

Marvel Studios
> Chitauri
> Kree (Partial)
> Skrulls (Partial)
> Sakaaran
> Celestials

20th Century Fox
> Skrulls (Partial)
> Super Skrull
> Kree (Partial)
> Badoon
> Silver Surfer
> Galactus

Thanks!

Fox don't own anything having to do with the Kree. If they did, it would just be Ronan over with the FF but Marvel still own him since he's bundled with the Captain Marvel rights.

Marvel partially own the Skrulls. You're correct about that. Any Skrulls related to the Hulk or Avengers rights are with Marvel, any associated with the Fantastic Four are at Fox. It's hard to tell which characters are where (aside from Super Skrull who's over at Fox) which is why we haven't seen them in any films thus far. We'll probably never see the Skrulls unless the FF revert to Marvel or somehow Marvel decide to hand the Avengers and Hulk rights over to Fox (which will never happen). If the FF rights do revert than Power Skrull will still be at Fox since he's part of the X-Men rights and the only Skrull to belong there.

The Sakraarans are over at Marvel since they're part of the Hulk rights. Same goes with the Celestials who are with the Eternals.

The Badoon are owned by Fox since they're part of the Fantastic Four rights for the same reason why all the Elders of the Universe aside from the Collector are at Fox. Even if Marvel can't get the Fantastic Four back after the third terribad adaptation in a row, they'll hopefully at least make some sort of deal for the Silver Surfer and all related characters (Galactus, Dawn Greenwood, etc. The only exception is Mephisto who's bundled with Ghost Rider.)

The Watchers are with the Fantastic Four. Don't expect Uatu to appear in the Inhumans movie unless the FF rights revert first despite Uatu being a major supporting character to the Inhumans.

The Shi'Ar and Phalanx are actually with the X-Men. Those rights will never revert unless Fox make a deal like they did with Quicksilver. Even then, I can see Marvel working out a deal to share the Shi'Ar with Fox but I can't see Marvel wanting the Phalanx back. The Phalanx/Technarchy are only needed for one Guardians storyline. The Shi'Ar on the other hand are needed for a Guardians/Inhumans crossover as well as an adaptation of the Galactic Storm storyline for the Avengers. That and any Captain Marvel vs Deathbird stories. Marvel don't need the Phalanx back but they really could use the Shi'Ar.

You also forgot the Arthrosians and all other Negative Zone species which are over with the Fantastic Four (and those will probably revert shortly considering that Fox have never made a successful FF film). The Brood on the other hand are at Fox since they're considered to be X-Men characters despite also having ties to Captain Marvel.

Then there are the Rigelians, Korbinites and Ego the Living Planet which are at Marvel since they're part of the Thor rights.

Symbiotes are much like the Sakaarans since the character rights are over with Marvel but the distribution rights are at another studio since Sony own the rights to distribute a Venom film, get all box office profits from a Venom film and will have to be the ones to fund production of a Venom film. Marvel can use Venom in another film or TV show (in this case, Thunderbolts or Guardians) but they don't completely own symbiotes and Marvel will need to ask Sony for permission to do a Venom TV show or film.

I also would have thought that Adam Warlock was at Fox but Thor the Dark World and Guardians proved that he's part of either the Guardians or Captain Marvel rights in the same way that the Inhumans are their own property and Black Panther was bundled with the Avengers.

In short, all that Marvel need to do to get everything of value back are to win back the FF rights and then work out a sharing deal with Fox for the Shi'Ar and Brood. Marvel don't have much to gain from getting the Phalanx back aside from saying that they have 100% of their cosmic rights and Fox aren't ever giving up characters like Warlock and Cameron Hodge.

Fox don't own anything having to do with the Kree. If they did, it would just be Ronan over with the FF but Marvel still own him since he's bundled with the Captain Marvel rights.

Marvel partially own the Skrulls. You're correct about that. Any Skrulls related to the Hulk or Avengers rights are with Marvel, any associated with the Fantastic Four are at Fox. It's hard to tell which characters are where (aside from Super Skrull who's over at Fox) which is why we haven't seen them in any films thus far. We'll probably never see the Skrulls unless the FF revert to Marvel or somehow Marvel decide to hand the Avengers and Hulk rights over to Fox (which will never happen). If the FF rights do revert than Power Skrull will still be at Fox since he's part of the X-Men rights and the only Skrull to belong there.

The Sakraarans are over at Marvel since they're part of the Hulk rights. Same goes with the Celestials who are with the Eternals.

The Badoon are owned by Fox since they're part of the Fantastic Four rights for the same reason why all the Elders of the Universe aside from the Collector are at Fox. Even if Marvel can't get the Fantastic Four back after the third terribad adaptation in a row, they'll hopefully at least make some sort of deal for the Silver Surfer and all related characters (Galactus, Dawn Greenwood, etc. The only exception is Mephisto who's bundled with Ghost Rider.)

The Watchers are with the Fantastic Four. Don't expect Uatu to appear in the Inhumans movie unless the FF rights revert first despite Uatu being a major supporting character to the Inhumans.

The Shi'Ar and Phalanx are actually with the X-Men. Those rights will never revert unless Fox make a deal like they did with Quicksilver. Even then, I can see Marvel working out a deal to share the Shi'Ar with Fox but I can't see Marvel wanting the Phalanx back. The Phalanx/Technarchy are only needed for one Guardians storyline. The Shi'Ar on the other hand are needed for a Guardians/Inhumans crossover as well as an adaptation of the Galactic Storm storyline for the Avengers. That and any Captain Marvel vs Deathbird stories. Marvel don't need the Phalanx back but they really could use the Shi'Ar.

You also forgot the Arthrosians and all other Negative Zone species which are over with the Fantastic Four (and those will probably revert shortly considering that Fox have never made a successful FF film). The Brood on the other hand are at Fox since they're considered to be X-Men characters despite also having ties to Captain Marvel.

Then there are the Rigelians, Korbinites and Ego the Living Planet which are at Marvel since they're part of the Thor rights.

Symbiotes are much like the Sakaarans since the character rights are over with Marvel but the distribution rights are at another studio since Sony own the rights to distribute a Venom film, get all box office profits from a Venom film and will have to be the ones to fund production of a Venom film. Marvel can use Venom in another film or TV show (in this case, Thunderbolts or Guardians) but they don't completely own symbiotes and Marvel will need to ask Sony for permission to do a Venom TV show or film.

I also would have thought that Adam Warlock was at Fox but Thor the Dark World and Guardians proved that he's part of either the Guardians or Captain Marvel rights in the same way that the Inhumans are their own property and Black Panther was bundled with the Avengers.

In short, all that Marvel need to do to get everything of value back are to win back the FF rights and then work out a sharing deal with Fox for the Shi'Ar and Brood. Marvel don't have much to gain from getting the Phalanx back aside from saying that they have 100% of their cosmic rights and Fox aren't ever giving up characters like Warlock and Cameron Hodge.

Uh, what? There's nothing that says that the Elders of the Universe are with Fox. I'm pretty sure Marvel has the rights to those characters.

And Ghost Rider's right's have been back at Marvel if I'm not mistaken

However, the Badoon are at Fox. That's neither here nor there for anything else since I'm almost convinced there's no rhyme or reason to anything except the most obvious.

whats lame about this rights thing is the fact we all know that the other studios wont do jack with those characters and if they do, noone will care anyway cuz the movies will stink.

I'm hopeful, with Apocalypse making things more fantastical and the success of Guardians, that Fox will actually consider the cosmic side of X-Men. Make a Starjammers movie with the Shi'ar and Brood. That would be quite fun.

Fox owns the Shi'Ar (confirmed now). They're over with the X-Men despite War of Kings being the big Guardians/Inhumans team-up story and Deathbird being a major Ms. Marvel villain. Marvel seriously needs to cut a deal with Fox like agree to create merch for Fox-produced films in exchange for shared rights to the Shi'Ar.

Breaking it down

Sony
Symbiotes

Marvel
Kree
Chitauri
Celestials
Sakaaran
Skrulls (shared)
Rigelian
Korbinite
Zen-Whobarian
Cotati
Flora Colossus
Spartoi
Ego the Living Planet
Inhumans
Eternals

Fox
Badoon (Fantastic Four)
Skrulls (shared)
Shi'Ar (X-Men)
Zen Lavaian (Fantastic Four)
Suarid (X-Men)
Mephitisoid (X-Men)
Chr'yllite (X-Men)
Fonabi (Fantastic Four)
Popuppian (Fantastic Four)
Landlak (Fantastic Four)
Baluurian (Fantastic Four)
Whatever Lockheed is (X-Men)
Arthrosian (Fantastic Four)
Traanian (Fantastic Four)
Whatever Raza Longknife is (X-Men)
Phalanx and Technarchy (X-Men)
Watchers (Fantastic Four)

And I have no clue about the Brood. They're tied to both Ms. Marvel and the X-Men so they could very well be shared. Additionally, Marvel owns the rights to most cosmic beings. The only exceptions are Galactus who's over at Fox and Scrier who's unusable due to Fox and Sony both owning parts of the character.

Marvel's cosmic rights are a mess. On the plus side, Marvel owns the rights to most supernatural characters. The few they don't are over at Sony.

Fox does not have the Watchers. They would be shared

A lot of what you said is probably correct but Mephisto is at Marvel, and Marvel hast he Watchers, just not Uatu. Some of the species being named will ne er even be used for a film.

Marvel doesn't need any of the races because dealing with the universe the limitation is imagination. New races can be created to replace Shiar and i dont get the deal with the Badoon at all.

Respectfully, you don't know that Marvel 100% has Uatu or any other Watchers. I think it's plausible they do, but no one really understands it. I don't think most expected Fox to own Kang. I can't figure out at all how Fox used to have Taskmaster, but they apparently had him too.

Respectfully, you don't know that Marvel 100% has Uatu or any other Watchers. I think it's plausible they do, but no one really understands it. I don't think most expected Fox to own Kang. I can't figure out at all how Fox used to have Taskmaster, but they apparently had him too.

Because when Marvel went bankrupt and sold off the movie rights to their various characters, they packaged some of their smaller characters as franchises on their own right and sold those off too. Taskmaster is an example of that. That's why Joe Carnahan said he had a pitch for Taskmaster movie. Characters who were parts of other franchises like Black Panther, the Inhumans, and Ka-Zar were most likely passed on when it came to the characters those studios wanted the rights too, thus allowing Marvel to keep them. Other characters like Black Widow and Luke Cage where at other studios but reverted before anything was done with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"