Which are your favorite Wakanda Tribes...

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
I only listed the tribes most relevant to the story.

Rank your top 3.

Here goes the main tribes featured most in the story:

Panther Tribe
Mountain Tribe (Ape)
Border Tribe (Rhino?)
War Dog (spy sent from Wakanda)

My favorite is the Border Tribe and the Mountain Ape Tribe.

Mostly thanks to their costumes, themes and their leaders (Daniel Kaluuya and Winston Duke).

They're tied for 1st.

Also War Dogs were a badass concept and added alot to the depth of the story.

I only listed the tribes most relevant to the story.

Rank your top 3.

Here goes the main tribes featured most in the story:

Panther Tribe
Mountain Tribe (Ape)
Border Tribe (Rhino?)
War Dog (spy sent from Wakanda)

The War Dogs (Hatut Zeraze) are the Wakandan Secret Police, not a separate tribe. I know there were a few more mentioned at the initial Warrior Falls ceremony,but the Jabari and M'Baku really stood out from the other groups, and I was glad to see them depicted as the honorable opposition.

Last edited:
The War Dogs (Hatut Zeraze) are the Kenyan Secret Police, not a separate tribe. I know there were a few more mentioned at the initial Warrior Falls ceremony,but the Jabari and M'Baku really stood out from the other groups, and I was glad to see them depicted as the honorable opposition.

Yeah I knew the War Dogs weren't a tribe, I just thought they were a cool concept that was well executed.

But I didn't know those other details. Thanks for that.

I'd join the Ape Tribe, except that they're all vegetarians. Pinky needs his ribeye!

There's also the river tribe with Nakia and her father (?). I hope, we'll see their home in the sequel. Maybe they worship crocodiles (green color)

For me it is only 2 that being the Panther Tribe and the Mountain Tribe

The ape tribe is the most interesting with them being anti technology and Wakanda is more advanced than the rest of the world.

Which was the river tribe? I'm dying to know more about them. Everyone seems to have their own totems (t'challa with panther and bast, jabiri region with apes etc). Maybe crocodiles? Or sharks? I know South Africa has some awesome great white sharks

Which was the river tribe? I'm dying to know more about them. Everyone seems to have their own totems (t'challa with panther and bast, jabiri region with apes etc). Maybe crocodiles? Or sharks? I know South Africa has some awesome great white sharks

The river ones were green so I think they had crocs.

I liked the snow tribe.

5 Tribes in total + The Golden Tribe, aka the Panther Tribe

-River Tribe - Nakia's Tribe

Lupita-Nyongo-as-Nakia-in-Black-Panther.jpg

-Border Tribe - Okoye and W'Kabi's tribe

-Mountain Tribe - M'baku's Tribe

black-panther-winston-duke-mbaku.jpg

-Merchant Tribe

-Mining Tribe - Old Lady on the council's tribe

from-zamunda-to-wakanda-how-black-panther-reimagined-african-style.jpg

Last edited:
They can make at least 2 sequels that bring up the conflicts between the tribes in Wakanda, all thanks to the world building that Coogler had made in the movie.

Mountain Ape tribe and it's not even close.

There are five tribes not counting the royal family; river, mountain/jabari, mining, merchant, and border.

Did one of them form later, or did the royal family break off from one of them, perhaps the mining tribe?

Disappointed there are no Tribe Called Quest fans out here. :csad:

Been reading up on the BP mythos. Apparently comics Wakanda have multiple religions, each with their own animals gods. There's a crocodile god, and a lion god, which fit the motif of the river and mining tribes.

I notice that Nakia shouts 'yibambe' at the falls, and each of the other tribes have their own shout. Maybe they're each tribe's mottos? Would be cool if someone who spoke Xhosa could tell what they mean.

Cheers - was going to ask what happens if another tribe's warrior wins the challenge. They eat the heart-shaped herb (or 'erb' as it is often pronounced haha) and then it's 'The Green Croc' or 'Grey Rhino' or 'White Ape'?

So they'd knock that giant panther statue down to erect their own? ;)

Cheers - was going to ask what happens if another tribe's warrior wins the challenge. They eat the heart-shaped herb (or 'erb' as it is often pronounced haha) and then it's 'The Green Croc' or 'Grey Rhino' or 'White Ape'?

So they'd knock that giant panther statue down to erect their own? ;)

As I understand it, the majority of Wakanda 'proper' has been in some way monotheistic for a while; followers of the other deities were just sort of absorbed into the Bast-following group to the point where the Jabari are the only real religious outliers.

There are five tribes not counting the royal family; river, mountain/jabari, mining, merchant, and border.

Did one of them form later, or did the royal family break off from one of them, perhaps the mining tribe?

I don't think it's specified what tribes the current royal family is currently affiliated with, but they're not their own group, per se. In the Djalia you can see a variety of former rulers and Black Panthers dressed in their respective tribes' attire, so the ruling family itself can be made up of anybody and thus isn't really it's own tribe/group. The way that Challenge Day scene played out implies to me that the four main tribes in attendance get to challenge for the throne/mantle, and then anybody directly from the royal family directly is called to take a shot at the mantle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"