Which Connery movie is your favourite?

skruloos said:
You have it the other way around. There wouldn't be Star Wars if it wasn't for serials like Flash Gordon.

Aha, but the movie Flash Gordon was only put in production on the coat tails of Star Wars. Lucas initially tried to make a Flash Gordon film instead of Star Wars, but was refused the rights.

Kevin Roegele said:
Aha, but the movie Flash Gordon was only put in production on the coat tails of Star Wars. Lucas initially tried to make a Flash Gordon film instead of Star Wars, but was refused the rights.
Yes but you seemed to imply that Flash Gordon only became possible after Star Wars when in fact it had already been a set of serials and tv shows way before Star Wars.

skruloos said:
Yes but you seemed to imply that Flash Gordon only became possible after Star Wars when in fact it had already been a set of serials and tv shows way before Star Wars.

Okay, well, I wasn't implying that.

Goldfinger is #1.Followed closely by From Russia With Love.Top two Bond movies of all time,in my opinion.

I'd probably rate Dr.No third of Connery's flicks.Though not third of all time.

1. Goldfinger
2. FRWL
3. Thunderball
4. Dr. No
5. NSNA
6. YOLT
7. DAF

1. Goldfinger
2. Dr. No
3. From Russia With Love
4. Diamond are Forever
5. Thunderball
6. You Only Live Twice

1. From Russia With Love (7/10)
2. Diamond are Forever (7/10)
3. You Only Live Twice (6,5/10)
4. Dr. No (6,5/10)
5. Goldfinger (6,5/10)
6. Thunderball (5/10)

1. Goldfinger
2. From Russia With Love
3. Dr. No

4. Thunderball
5. You Only Live Twice

6. Diamonds Are Forever

Goldfinger and FRWL are classic. Just not Bond classic, but classic. Dr. No is the first and a classic in its own right too though.

1. You Only Live Twice
2. From Russia With Love
3. Dr. No
4. Goldfinger
5. Never Say Never Again
6. Diamonds Are Forever
7. Thunderball

1. Goldfinger
2. From Russia With Love
3. Dr. No
4. You Only Live Twice
5. Diamonds Are Forever
6. Thunderball
7. Never Say Never Again

my 1, 2, and 3 picks for Connery are also my 1, 2, and 3 picks for the entire series... my 4 and 5 picks are still in the Top 10 (Top 7, actually!)... 6 and 7 are way down near the very bottom of my overall list...

GOLDFINGAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I absolutely hate Diamonds are Forever and Never say Never again, can't stand those two bond movies

AndrewBerger said:
Why so much hate for Thunderball? It's my favorite of the series.

I love it as well. Can't understand how anyone could prefer YOLT, as you can CLEARLY SEE Connery walking around bored. All he does is press buttons in that movie.

I wonder as well why Thunderball is so hated. it is a movie with a great atmosphere, great villains, great Bond girls and a villain's plan that actually makes sense and is feasible.

Exactly. The problem with Moonraker is the slapstick Jaws sequences, not the sci-fi elements

I totally agree with this. I've said it before-- Moonraker isn't a bad movie from the core, it's actually quite a good movie that just happens to have some really terrible bits in it. If you edit out all the slapstick Jaws stuff, the pigeon bit (that whole scene actually) what you are left with is a very solid James Bond film.

Some points in its favor:

1) An awesome score
2) Some of Moore's greatest scenes as Bond (the centerfuge scene, the pheasant hunt, the cable car scene)
3) A very pleasant and decided lack of bras throughout the film
4) An excellent villain who had some great lines ("Mr. Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.")

To answer the original question, my Connery list:

1) Goldfinger/From Russia With Love (I'm torn)
2) Thunderball
3) Dr. No
4) You Only Live Twice
5) Diamonds are Forever

From Russia With Love is by far the best Connery Bond film.

Why so much hate for Thunderball? It's my favorite of the series.

I love it as well. Can't understand how anyone could prefer YOLT, as you can CLEARLY SEE Connery walking around bored. All he does is press buttons in that movie.

I wonder as well why Thunderball is so hated. it is a movie with a great atmosphere, great villains, great Bond girls and a villain's plan that actually makes sense and is feasible.

Thunderball is great, but the problem with that movie is that its slow in parts.

Thunderball is great, but the problem with that movie is that its slow in parts.

That is the case. I'd take it over Diamonds Are Forever or You Only Live twice any day, though.

The first three films -- Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger -- are the best in the series.

jimmy rhoads said:
That is the case. I'd take it over Diamonds Are Forever or You Only Live twice any day, though

You know, initially, I defended Diamonds Are Forever, in my first post in this thread, but I watched it last night, and with a few exceptions, it was terrible. It may as well have been marketed as a spoof. There's not one scene in the film that takes itself seriously. Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd are dreadful villains (and not to sound offensive, but the blatant illusions to them being homosexual made the film seem even more campier than it already was, again, I'm not in any way trying to be offensive), and Blofeld is reduced to a joke. The scene where he kidnaps Tiffany while in drag is the icing on the cake for me. The plot is rediculous and there are only four redeeming qualities: the title tune is great, there's a great fight scene with Peter Franks in the elevator, the climax is extremely excitng, and Jill St. John is extremely hot (though as far as acting goes, she's one of the all time worst Bond girls).

Other than that, awful movie. I do think it's Connery's worst. Ranking them, I'd go:

1) Goldfinger
2) Thunderball
3) From Russia With Love
4) Dr. No
5) You Only Love Twice
6) Diamonds Are Forever

As for Thunderball, I love it. It's closing in on Goldfinger as my favorite, as well as my pick for all time best. I mean, it's perfect in most aspects: great plot, great villians, great pacing beautiful scenery and great women. I don't understand the hate at all.

When you consider that DAF was preceeded by one of the most emotionally gripping Bond films ever, it becomes that much more of a travesty. The fact that they all but blow off Peter Hunt's film is a shame.

I'd rather sit through DAD than have to watch this film.

When you consider that DAF was preceeded by one of the most emotionally gripping Bond films ever, it becomes that much more of a travesty. The fact that they all but blow off Peter Hunt's film is a shame.

I'd rather sit through DAD than have to watch this film.

Agreed. What they did with On Her Majesty's Secret Service's plotline in Diamonds Are Forever is atrocious. I think the film would've worked far better had it picked up where OHMSS left off. A sort of semi-revenge thriller. But I guess that would've worked better if Lazenby had returned, and since the producers apparently had no desire to use him again, they opted to ignore him.

You know, initially, I defended Diamonds Are Forever, in my first post in this thread, but I watched it last night, and with a few exceptions, it was terrible. It may as well have been marketed as a spoof. There's not one scene in the film that takes itself seriously.

I love DAF, but the problem with that movie is that you have to be in the mood for it. There have been times when I watch it and it makes me laugh so much. Then, there's times that I'm just like this: :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"