Which 'Dracula' Dvd should I get?

Reaction score
Start with these trhee movies: nosferatu, dracula by tod browning and horror of dracula by terence fisher. Three masterpieces, the best three dracula movies ever.

NOOOOOOOO!!! Do not get Dracula: Dead and Loving it. I like Leslie Nielsen but this is in my top 5 worst movies of all time.

Lightspeed said:
NOOOOOOOO!!! Do not get Dracula: Dead and Loving it. I like Leslie Nielsen but this is in my top 5 worst movies of all time.

It's disgracefully bad.

I allready own nosferatu, I was just wondering which of these 2 dracula's would you get.

thx, guys for the answers.

DrACoola!
Don't get scayered een yore bed alone at night when you vatch DrACoola.:eek:

Darth Elektra said:
Ive been trying to get all of Universal's classic Horror monster's on dvd... Well Im at Dracula and I was wondering which is the best version to buy? In your guys opionion?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000035Z3K/sr=1-17/qid=1154976250/ref=sr_1_17/104-1160840-8668764?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GPIPSS/sr=1-6/qid=1154976229/ref=sr_1_6/104-1160840-8668764?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Thanks!

Well, the second one has much better DVD Art. From what I read of the reviews on amazon.com for the first DVD, sounds like it has some extras. The second one may have more...depends on which film you want to see more. Are they the same, both came out in 1931.

Yea, there both the original Dracula. Both are pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone had the old versiona nd could tell me if it was good. The new version (just a newer dvd) hits sometime in Sept.

If you want the best Dracula movie as well as its bad but highly entertaining sequels get:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ef=pd_bbs_2/002-3832207-1672026?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

As for other versions check out Nosferatu and Coppola's movie. But none are very faithful adaptations (despite what Coppola titled his) and pale compared to the book but are genuinely good cinema.

And there are bad ones too (avoid Frank Langella's Dracula and Dracula 2000 like the plague for example).

And yes the best special features come on the one I showed with an intereseting commentary by horror film historian and a wonderful 1 hour documentary, poster galleries and marketing campaigns and the 1937 rerelease trailer. I too got the collection with all three monsters on it. They also come with featurettes for that lousy Van Helsing movie and how Sommers raped...err borrowed from these classics. Actually the featurette on the Dracula one if I recall was pretty good and made the movie look better than it was.

Also check out the optional Phillip Glass score from the 1999 rerelease on that DVD, I think besides the opning Swan theme which is classic and needed to stay, the rest of the movie benefitted from Glass's haunting score played on three string quartets.

Also check out the Horror of Dracula starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing by the way.

Lightspeed said:
lol i was just kidding anyways

the_ultimate_evil said:
i've got the big box set that has every universal monster movie, and comes with 3 busts of the actors in the dracula,frankenstien and wolfman looks

amazing box set

yeah that's what I have too...I also have the Creature From The Black Lagoon, Invisible Man, and Mummy sets, but they never had a giant set with them, which was sort of disapointing, because I think they're actually more visually interesting as far as busts go

The Joker said:
yeah that's what I have too...I also have the Creature From The Black Lagoon, Invisible Man, and Mummy sets, but they never had a giant set with them, which was sort of disapointing, because I think they're actually more visually interesting as far as busts go

i think they were planned to be sold direct from universal, but demand wasnt high enough.:(

I would recommend to buy the book, if you haven't done it already (sadly it has never been adapted faithfully), and buy the early Hammer movies, they have a wonderful atmosphere.

Frankenstein is getting a similar treatment

Here are the extras for both Dracula and Frakenstein:

From IGN:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/719/719981p1.html

The Dracula (75th Anniversary Edition) DVD will feature the following bonus materials:

Feature Commentary with Film Historian David J. Shal

Feature Commentary with Steve Haberman, Screenwriter of "Dracula: Dead and Loving It"

Score by Philip Glass Performed by The Kronos Quartet

Lugosi: The Dark Prince

The Road to Dracula

Monster Tracks

Dracula (1931) Spanish Version

Introduction to the Spanish Version of Dracula by Lupita Tovar Kohner

Universal Horror

Poster Montage

Theatrical Trailer
==============================

The Frankenstein (75th Anniversary Edition) DVD will feature the following bonus materials:

Karloff: The Gentle Monster

Feature Commentary with Rudy Behlmer

Feature Commentary with Historian Sir Christopher Frayling

The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster

Frankenstein Archives

Monster Tracks

Boo! A Short Film

Universal Horror

Theatrical Trailer

Check out the link for cool pics.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
LOL. Did I miss something or is that a random (but true) thought.

Random to an extent but brought about by having witnessed the last 10 minutes of Speed 2 on TV not long before clicking on this thread,i felt the world needed reminding to avoid :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"