Which Netflix characters should be a part of the grander MCU now?

I don't know, Cox is already officially the MCU Daredevil, critics and fans agree he's nailed the part and he's younger than Boseman, Cumberbatch and various other actors Feige's planning his franchise around. Why wouldn't they want him in the films?

Plus making the most popular MCU TV show officially non-canon when there are a bunch of other MCU TV shows planned doesn't seem like good business sense.
I feel like they are only saying that the tv shows are part of the mcu to convince people to watch the show.

Daredevil can be rebooted in a mcu film, and I seriously doubt it won't make cash just because they have replaced Charlie Cox. The tv shows have no bearing whatsoever in these mcu movies. The Marvel characters that were introduced in tv were/are there simply because Feige and company have no plan for them to appear in future films. Though its nice to see that they haven't launched a new show since Cloak & Dagger. That way they would have more characters to choose from in the future. While the ones headlining the Disney+ shows have already appeared in the films. The tv shows are mcu adjacent, they can ignore certain things whether the characters from the show already appeared in the films or not. Agent Carter and Coulson reappeared in the films after their show premiered but the films have yet to acknowledge the events of those films.

Last edited:
Fox film division I said should be had for darker R-rated takes back when the purchase was simply rumored and I got skewered for it. That being said, now that Disney owns Fox I think it's become apparent Disney has to maintain a certain standard within their film division. Alan Horne said so himself that Disney now can make different kinds of films now that they own Fox.

Since Disney OWNS Fox maybe some people here can stop with the constant trolling of Fox and see that this offers an opportunity to create different films under the Disney umbrella. Whether it's appropriate for said different films to involve Marvel properties is up for conjecture...

That being said what I'm getting at is only character I'd like to see continuing is Daredevil. A fitting ending for him I think is necessary even if it's a movie made for streaming.

A lot of opportunity was missed with the Netflix shows (failure to adapt) that I won't get into here. They dawdled and budget seemed less than ABC shows (initial impression like some massive movie never seen before sort of like what people think the Disney+ shows will be now). That being said what they had to work with, there were some amazing moments acting wise and action wise in the Daredevil series. Jessica Jones had a few moments initially in the first season but really sort of fell short for me overall. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Punisher, Defenders just kind of rang hollow but Punisher did have some interesting action sequences I'll give it that but too much B.S.

The final X-men movie this summer... Then it'll be re-booted... Same with Daredevil and eventually all other properties to some degree.

I don't see why characters which did not make the cut and were reserved for television before almost all the rights were regained of the many major characters sold to other movie makers in order to save Marvel Comics would suddenly be developed.

I don't really see any new shows featuring the TV used characters in the theatres or as a stand alone Feige produced show on the Disney streaming service no matter how long before the plug is pulled and the MCU reboots. More likely the NetFlix and network TV characters would just held in reserve so nobody else could use them. Especially now that the characters thought of as the potentially most popular must now fight for a schedule space. From Daredevil full circle to Daisy Johnson I just see properties sitting in the proverbial government warehouse like the Arc of the Covenant at the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc

Maybe in phase six, one of the characters demoted to Tv would make their debut mcu film appearance and be rebooted/recast. Phase four/five, would introduce films for Black Widow, the Eternals, Shang Chi, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four and there would likely one or more that would get that headlining treatment, so I don't think they would make room for the Netflix heroes in the films.

As for the tv side, Aos might end next year. Runaways and Cloak & Dagger would probably end before the X-Men mcu hits theaters. I just don't see those shows lasting very long especially once Disney + is launched. While Disney + would serve as the sole home for upcoming Marvel tv shows and I think it would just be for the ones that already appeared in the films.

In a perfect world I would agree with you but knowing Feige he would probably want to recast

"Knowing Feige..."

What do you even mean by that? If you are referring to the recasting of Spidey... This isn't remotely the same. Why would you assume that if there is a DD MCU film or appearance in an MCU film in the near future that Cox would be recast? Why would that be Feige's choice?

Shortly after the cancellation of Daredevil, announcements were made of Shang-Chi being adapted into film. I think that could indicate a response from Marvel Studio's.

That being said, some shows may carry over to Hulu still. Feige isn't going to get in the way if this is the case, just not directly involved as he focuses on other projects just to throw my perspective into the mix...

"Knowing Feige..."

What do you even mean by that? If you are referring to the recasting of Spidey... This isn't remotely the same. Why would you assume that if there is a DD MCU film or appearance in an MCU film in the near future that Cox would be recast? Why would that be Feige's choice?

A few reasons. Firstly marvel films and tv are two different companies run by two different people with different visions that don't get along.

Secondly they can't use those versions of the characters as they are part owned by netflix.

3rd they said as much in their statement when daredevil was cancelled.

Lastly the same reason as deadpool staying at fox. Because the tone would not fit with the mcu.

Could see punisher appearing in deadpool.

Deadpool could have it's own universe with characters deemed a bit too dark for the mcu.

A few reasons. Firstly marvel films and tv are two different companies run by two different people with different visions that don't get along.

Secondly they can't use those versions of the characters as they are part owned by netflix.

3rd they said as much in their statement when daredevil was cancelled.

Lastly the same reason as deadpool staying at fox. Because the tone would not fit with the mcu.

At this point there's no doubting who within the hierarchy of the Marvel machine has power. It's Feige. What Loeb and Perlmutter want doesn't matter anymore. If Feige wants something, he'll get it.

They cannot use those versions for the next 18 months/two years (sources seem to vary on this) so they aren't "partially owned" by Netflix but there are contractual obligations involved, yes. But after a short period they could use all of them.

This was the statement they put out about the cancelling of DD on Netflix:

An Update on ‘Marvel’s Daredevil’ | News | Marvel

"Marvel is extremely grateful to the huge audience that loved Marvel's Daredevil," reads the statement. "From the moment of young Matt’s first act of heroism to the birth of Page, Murdock, & Nelson, it has been a unbelievable journey. We are incredibly proud of the amazing showrunners and writers starting with Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight, Marco Ramirez and Doug Petrie and Erik Oleson, Charlie Cox, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Vincent D'Onofrio and our casts who brought our characters to life with such excellence, and every one of the fantastic crews in NYC. We look forward to more adventures with the Man without Fear in the future."

I don't see anything there indicating what you say it does. The statement doesn't say that they will recast, or that they won't ever use the character again. If anything it says they are going to be using DD again in the future. NOW... They well could recast. That's entirely possible. It's not in anyway written in stone though, either. The statement certainly doesn't say it's some impossibility in the least that they could retain Cox or his supporting cast. If anything the statement talks about how that cast is popular with fans and critics.

As for tone... One of the biggest acquisitions in terms of the return of Marvel characters from Fox was getting the Mutants and of course the biggest star of the Mutants, Wolverine back.

Wolverine. The guy whose abilities in order to be showcased includes getting massively damaged and then healing from it. Wolverine... The guy whose "powers" is hacking and slashing into other people and chopping them up real good. This isn't even getting into the origins of say, Magneto, a survivor of a genocide, and the general themes of the X-Men. Does any of that sound like it's "tone" fits what most consider the MCU? I am willing to bet those aspects won't be watered down. If the MCU can and most likely will have Logan chopping it up and Magneto as the survivor of some kind of ethnic cleansing then I think the crime/noir background of DD or the vigilante rough justice of the Punisher can fit into the MCU as well. We are getting a Black Widow film likely to get into her origin. You know... The young woman trained in the art of espionage and assassination from an early age, whose training and preparation included sterilization and killing other fellow trainees. She admits to "red in her ledger" which is easily indicating the ruthless killing of innocents. That is apparently also the "tone" of the MCU. In light of all that the argument that it's "too much" to have DD's crime setting in the MCU while Wolverine is gutting bad guys will have a lot less persuasive power I think.

Last edited:
The Man Without Fear!

Loved the Netflix show but if they were to bring any of them to the big screen I would hope for Daredevil. One thing I think a movie could actually benefit from is a bigger budget for his actual combat so they could really showcase more of him throwing the billy clubs off of objects and then hitting enemies. It did show it in the show but was few and far between.

Also and I know this would be hard to get right would be cool to see them bring the long irregularly flowing wire between the clubs to life as it always looks so cool in comic panels.

I wouldn't be surprised if Daredevil came back for Spider-Man 3.

Daredevil and Punisher. Those are the only shows/characters that left me really heartbroken after they were canceled.

The rest of them can stay away. Jessica Jones was the most overrated crap ever, Luke Cage was meh (untapped potential, really), I couldn't even finish the first season of Iron Fist, and I didn't even care enough to check out The Defenders.

When these shows were first announced I thought it would be cool if once the series ran their course they would then join the Avengers as Hawkeye-like characters. As in not major characters, not huge amounts of character development, and no movies of their own just solid characters for the main contenders to play off of. But really these shows work best because they are able to explore the darker, ground level stories of the MCU. Having that separation allows them to go into areas they normally wouldn't. And I'm in the mindset of while I geek out over crossovers, I acknowledge that characters don't "have" to crossover. Unless it's something that makes the story stronger then it should be avoided. Just because you could, doesn't necessarily mean you should. And if they have the story for it they will, but they won't cross over just for novelties sake.

I haven't check out Cloak and Dagger yet, plan to soon, but all the shows should be considered canon. Though they vary in quality there is more good than bad and they great foundations for future stories.

Expect Inhumans. That was a failure on a fundamental level and should be cut off from the MCU and our collective memories... so bad.

With Goose and a reference to Throg in the movieverse I kinda want a Pets Avengers thing. It'd probably suck but I just like the idea of it existing.

I don't know... Wanda and Vision, a Loki show... Those are far from "grounded" characters.

Daredevil, Elektra and Punisher. If the others have to be introduced, recast them.

I would keep all the shows as cannon, personally. No reason not to, IMO. As for cast, I would be okay with recasting Luke and Danny. But I would keep the others.

I would keep all the shows as cannon, personally. No reason not to, IMO. As for cast, I would be okay with recasting Luke and Danny. But I would keep the others.

The problem with keeping the shows as canon is you are burdening creators with 161 hours of back story. It seems silly to me to restrict what future writers and directors can do with the characters in order to maintain continuity with a collection of TV series controlled by a rival streaming company. Want to show Matt first meeting Wilson in the courtroom? Or show Luke growing up in Harlem? Sorry, those decisions have already been made for you!

I loved the Bill Bixby Hulk series growing up, but I completely understand why Jack McGee is a student in the MCU reboot rather than a tabloid reporter with an unlimited expense account. Feige and company gain absolutely nothing by absorbing the Netflix continuity into MCU Proper. We can enjoy them as Marvel Legends or What If? stories.

The problem with keeping the shows as canon is you are burdening creators with 161 hours of back story. It seems silly to me to restrict what future writers and directors can do with the characters in order to maintain continuity with a collection of TV series controlled by a rival streaming company. Want to show Matt first meeting Wilson in the courtroom? Or show Luke growing up in Harlem? Sorry, those decisions have already been made for you!

The MCU has been thriving better than ever by approaching things uniquely. Like giving us T'Challa in Civil War and bypassing the standard origin. So who cares if Matt and Fisk already know each other? Who cares if Luke's already a hero? The MCU origin films tend to be mid-tier/lower tier vs MCU films that just sort of move on and do their own thing without the burden of the origin story. If anything, this backstory makes it easier to do that.

The large volume of Netflix Defenders programs is unnecessarily limiting to whoever picks up these characters if they are forced to consider them canon.

Have a great idea for a young Matt Murdock representing Wilson Fisk and then turning against him? No can do. They met in a museum and they currently have an agreement to keep his wife out of the pokey.

Want to show young Luke getting caught up in the Harlem gang life? Nope, he grew up in Georgia. Try again.

I don't see the point of wrapping the Netflix continuity into the MCU given the lack of overlap, the fact that those series are all cancelled AND they are controlled by a rival service. The good thing is the eventual reboot of the characters need not focus too much on the origins given the prominence the heroes have had on Netflix.

They can easily work around the constraints if they want to
some of the best art is created when you have constraints to work within
I mean each successive Marvel movie has more and more things they have to be mindful of and work around

plus, I don't need to see any more origin stories, especially for these characters

and lastly, I just completely oppose trying to recast Kingpin anytime soon, D'Onofrio was too damn good

Yeah, the very basis of the MCU is built upon the notion that different writers/directors pick up stories where they left off from previous writers/directors. Coogler did BP after the character was introduced in CW, Waititi took over Thor after TDW. The stories for the Defenders would act as backstory that is available to audience if they want or need it. Pick up the character/actors and move forward.

The large volume of Netflix Defenders programs is unnecessarily limiting to whoever picks up these characters if they are forced to consider them canon.

Have a great idea for a young Matt Murdock representing Wilson Fisk and then turning against him? No can do. They met in a museum and they currently have an agreement to keep his wife out of the pokey.

Want to show young Luke getting caught up in the Harlem gang life? Nope, he grew up in Georgia. Try again.

I don't see the point of wrapping the Netflix continuity into the MCU given the lack of overlap, the fact that those series are all cancelled AND they are controlled by a rival service. The good thing is the eventual reboot of the characters need not focus too much on the origins given the prominence the heroes have had on Netflix.

None of the backstory in these shows is really anything you need to directly reference. Why do you need to say how Matt and Fisk met? You can easily start with Fisk is in jail/broken out of prison and Matt is the one who put him there. That's all you need to know, and the shows can fill in whatever backstory people want if they want to look it up later. Who cares if Luke was raised in Georgia? The Luke we meet is likely going to be in Harlem with powers already anyway, so who cares? The MCU movies already ignore stuff going from movie to movie anyway. Rhodey gets crippled defending the Accords, and next movie he basically can walk without restrictions and is angry Ross sees Cap and co as enemies. Loki is on the throne at the end of one movie and is dethroned in first 10 mins of next movie. You see my point? It's no more restrictive than any other character, and they can just ignore or easily maneuver around whatever they want. Largely by just not bringing it up.

He has a point. Look at all of the stuff they did with Elektra, Bullseye and the Hand. The MCU writers would have to adhere to all of that stuff if the shows are kept canon. Better to just start fresh with a clean slate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"