• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics Which relaunch is better?

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
Mackie/JRjr/Byrne relaunch in PPSM & ASM?
Brand New Day?

And please don't, I repeat, DO NOT give me bad cliches of "It's choosing between the bad and the other bad" if you like neither, give a simple answer if that is all you have to say, if you like one more than the other say why, what is better in one relaunch

Input?

OK, simple answer: neither. Both were ill conceived and not needed.

Brand New Day because I never read the Mackie/Byrne relaunch but from what I've heard it wasn't very good. Brand New Day was very fresh and exactly what Spider-Man needed.

OK, simple answer: neither. Both were ill conceived and not needed.
Seeing your opinion about most of the stories since "The Gathering of Five" your answer is accepted, Mackie's reboot was just resurrecting the series after ending it

Both were pretty awful. When The Gathering/Final Chapter/"Death of MJ" stories hit I didn't think Marvel could do much worse. Then OMD/BND came along and they proved me wrong.

I vote for Ultimate Spider-Man because it was relaunch that worked.

A much more appropriate question would be "which one is worse?"

Neither of them are literary masterpieces. I guess OMD is slightly less worse than the Mackie/Byrne relauch because the writing within was ever so slightly better. However, the consequences of OMD/BND were even more offensive than those of the Byrne/Mackie relaunch (which aside from Aunt May being resurrected, the changes were retconned pretty quickly).

And please don't, I repeat, DO NOT give me bad cliches of "It's choosing between the bad and the other bad" if you like neither, give a simple answer if that is all you have to say, if you like one more than the other say why, what is better in one relaunch

Thanks for the advice, but I'll say whatever I want. Just because you started the thread doesn't mean you can dictate the content of the replies.

The stories after OMD have been better than the 1998 reboot by far, yet the 2008 reboot is still completely unnecessary. So both are bad but the current one is less bad.

The first reboot featured bad stories told badly. The new one has bad stories told well.

In the former's defense, we're about four years out from OMD. Four years out from Final Chapter we saw the good JMS/JRjr run in its prime (Ezekiel, Morlun's first appearance, Aunt May finding out, 9/11 issue, etc.), Paul Jenkins's smart run and really the three main characters--Peter, MJ and Aunt May--being written like actual people for the first time in years. It really only started falling apart again when Marvel needlessly messed with the Death of Gwen Stacy storyline over thirty years later and then started intentionally ruining the character so as to corner him (and readers) into accepting the OMD/BND travesty.

So, I would say the writing a few years after the actual relaunch of '99 was better until they decided to set-up another relaunch.

Oh well.

The "I enjoy them just as much" could also apply to "they are the same degree of $#%^", that is why I avoided that poll option
A much more appropriate question would be "which one is worse?"
I avoided this format on purpose

I guess OMD is slightly less worse than the Mackie/Byrne relauch because the writing within was ever so slightly better. However, the consequences of OMD/BND were even more offensive than those of the Byrne/Mackie relaunch (which aside from Aunt May being resurrected, the changes were retconned pretty quickly).
She was resurrected before the relaunch

Thanks for the advice, but I'll say whatever I want. Just because you started the thread doesn't mean you can dictate the content of the replies.
It was a request, not a dictation, but after all the times I heard that sort of comparison it turned from something fun to one of the cheesiest forced cliches when people respond to a question between two bad things in their opinion

Has there been a Spider-Man origin book similar to "Superman: Earth One" or "Birthright" that is more of a book like those than a single comic? I want to find a Batman and a Spider-Man origin book that would be good for a first timer.

You can always pick up the first Ultimate Spider-Man trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"