• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daredevil Which Villains should appear in this TV series?

I doubt Arad would make the same mistake in two separate interviews about 10 years apart from each other.
Live-Action rights, Cartoon rights and Videogame rights are all managed differently.
He would if he was never corrected about it. If the cartoon rights fall under the Daredevil banner there's really no reason why the live action rights don't either. What we know is that Kingpin has been in a Daredevil movie but not a Spider-Man movie, until they use him we have no reason to believe they own him unless Marvel comes out and confirms they don't have Kingpin.

I feel that it's a bit asinine to imply that he would fabricate something like that.
The man put up money for the movies, he was deeply involved in the dealings and it's absolutely ludicrous.

But keep believing what you want to believe despite evidence to the contrary, you're set on that.

Who said he fabricated it? If he's mistaken on something he's mistaken. Kevin Feige thought Marvel had the rights to Namor and then came back a year later and said Universal has them, these rights issues are complicated and unless you know every single thing in the language you can easily mistake the situation. As I said, with what actual tangible evidence we have and not hearsay, there's nothing to suggest Sony has the rights to Kingpin and it appears it falls under the Daredevil property. Until someone at Marvel actually states they don't have Kingpin there's no reason not to believe it's not with Daredevil solely based on something Arad said in defense of the movie he works on.

Meh. Wish these companies weren't so tight lipped about these things in the first place.
I still feel there is a big enough difference between saying someone is with the company and saying someone is with another company and the one time he was used for an alternate company a deal had to be made to acquire him.
One is an assumption based on what is thought to be factual and another is an assertive statement made from proactive dealings and mediation between two companies.

I doubt Arad would make the same mistake in two separate interviews about 10 years apart from each other.
Live-Action rights, Cartoon rights and Videogame rights are all managed differently.

Okay, then how do you know that Sony has the TV rights to Kingpin, rather then just the film rights?

I can easily see Arad making that mistake, he could just be making an assumption and simply be incorrect. Really in that interview, he only gave his opinion, he never backed up with any evidence.

Any clue when that would be? It certainly would put some doubts to rest although I imagine people would reason that he was being saved for the second season or something just to have hope to hold onto.

Unless I was on the production team, there is no way I could know when the casting sheets will be released to the general public. However I do think Marvel would have gotten the rights to Kingpin, before making series, it seems like a Daredevil series without Kingpin has a huge gap in terms of its mythos.

Do we really know that they are going the crime noir route for this, for all we know it might resemble Waid's run more than Millers.
Ultimately if they can't use Kingpin I rather they just use another popular storyline instead of making things messy but substituting characters.

The Waid run has stories that wouldn't work on a TV budget, like the Klaw and Spot story lines (and features characters they may not have the rights to like Mole man and Dr. Doom) and plays into decades of Marvel continuity and really works as a contrast to DD's darker stories, rather then a starting point for DD.

DD's identity being public knowledge is a major part of Waid's stories and that goes back to Bendis' run, which goes back to when Kingpin discovered DD's identity back in Born Again. Mole Man and Klaw are familiar to comic book fans, but having these guys show up out of the blue in a TV series wouldn't work the same way. Waid's run runs on Marvel continuity, which a TV show cannot do.

I mean how would you do Waid's run as a self contained series that works within a TV budget?

Plus I think ignoring some of the best Daredevil stories would be a huge mistake. Smaller, more off beat, self contained stories work better for TV, rather then more fantastical over the top stories that depend on decades of continuity.

Last edited:
Owl, Kingpin, Elektra, Spot, Typhoid, Bullseye, Echo/Ronin, Death Stalker, Ammo, Mister Fear, Gladiator, Nuke, Bullet and Bushwhacker are the ones that I feel should appear.

Just not Stilt-Man, Madator, Man-Bull, Leap-Frog or Jester. Those villains are terribad and should be confined to wherever Marvel likes to stash other failed villains like Big Wheel and Obnoxio.

I think they could switch out some villains with other villains in some stories, like in Guardian Devil, you could easily replace Mysterio with Mr. Fear in that story.

As for Gladiator, how long should he remain a criminal, before reforming and becoming part of Daredevil's supporting cast?

Also who do you think they should cast as some of these villains?

Last edited:
I think they could switch out some villains with other villains in some stories, like in Guardian Devil, you could easily replace Mysterio with Mr. Fear in that story.

As for Gladiator, how long should he remain a criminal, before reforming and becoming part of Daredevil's supporting cast?

good thinking on mr fear as to gladiator I thin late first season or midseason2

That's the same thing I said a long time ago on the man without fear site. Kevin Smith using Mysterio (a Spiderman villain) and not Larry Cranston / Mister Fear 3 was juste stupid.

As for Gladiator, I don't know...

I know he gets type-casted as a villain and recently played Clock King on Arrow, but Robert Knepper is perfect for a show like this. I'd say he could play either Owl or Mr. Fear effectively, depending on who they want to use on the show.

Robert Knepper for the Owl would be awesome. 10 years ago, I would have seen Lance Henricksen in the role, but he seems too old now.

As for Mister Fear, Cranston is a dark mirror of Matt, so we should need to see who will play Matt to really cast him.

For Typhoid Mary, wasn't Katee Sackhoff interested by the role at one point ? She'd be an interesting choice.

As for Deathstalker / Philipp Wallace Sterling, what about... Xander Berkeley ? He is a voice actor with a past in comic book animated series, can play sinister guys wonderfully.

Robert Knepper for the Owl would be awesome. 10 years ago, I would have seen Lance Henricksen in the role, but he seems too old now.

As for Mister Fear, Cranston is a dark mirror of Matt, so we should need to see who will play Matt to really cast him.

For Typhoid Mary, wasn't Katee Sackhoff interested by the role at one point ? She'd be an interesting choice.

As for Deathstalker / Philipp Wallace Sterling, what about... Xander Berkeley ? He is a voice actor with a past in comic book animated series, can play sinister guys wonderfully.

Uh, no thanks. He blew his chance to play one of the biggest villains on TV as Red John in the Mentalist. He was rather underwhelming in the end and hardly the sinister mastermind who was always one step ahead of everyone else.

Now whether someone like Deathstalker would be on this series depends on the tone and what they decide they can use in this world. Will it have the same fantasy aspect as the rest of the MCU or will they leave it more ambiguous and have it more grounded in reality?

The Kingpin (as the mastermind).
Mr. Fear (as a rival crime boss trying to usurp the Kingpin's position).
Typhoid Mary (works for the Kingpin, but is crazy and thus unpredictable).
Bullseye (hired to kill DD).
Lady Bullseye (hired to kill DD, becomes interested in Bullseye).
The Hood (low-level mob thug who rises to power as the series goes along).

I don't really consider Elektra to be a villain. I'd have her be a mysterious, morally-ambiguous presence and no one is quite sure why she's in NYC or what her motives are.

Since it's only a 13-part season and it's connected to the movies, some of these villains (or even heroic characters) could be played by movie actors instead of casting TV ones.

I remember when people used to suggest Woody Harrelson for Bullseye. Well, potentially he could still play the role. Also, since True Detective won't have the same cast for Season 2 (as it's meant to be an anthology series) then he won't be tied up with that show.

The Kingpin (as the mastermind).
Mr. Fear (as a rival crime boss trying to usurp the Kingpin's position).
Typhoid Mary (works for the Kingpin, but is crazy and thus unpredictable).
Bullseye (hired to kill DD).
Lady Bullseye (hired to kill DD, becomes interested in Bullseye).
The Hood (low-level mob thug who rises to power as the series goes along).

I don't really consider Elektra to be a villain. I'd have her be a mysterious, morally-ambiguous presence and no one is quite sure why she's in NYC or what her motives are.

Elektra was an assassin though, she has killed at least innocent person, that at least makes her an antagonist.

I think Owl works better as a rival crime boss, while Mr. Fear is a more personal enemy for Matt Murdock. Mr. Fear knowing and hating Murdock before he even became DD makes him stand out from other DD villains. I could see Mr. Fear selling his services to Kingpin, but using Kingpin's resources to further his personal grudge.

Also I wonder if its too early to introduce Lady Bullseye, Bullseye was operating for a while before he inadvertently saved Lady Bullseye from being a sex slave, but that might make sense for Bullseye when he is just starting out.

That's the same thing I said a long time ago on the man without fear site. Kevin Smith using Mysterio (a Spiderman villain) and not Larry Cranston / Mister Fear 3 was juste stupid.

As for Gladiator, I don't know...

I think Gladiator should reform either in late Season2 or early season 3, have a couple of episodes where Melvin Potter is a criminal, then have him reform. If you want to make things really tragic you have him be forced back into crime later by the manipulations of another villain, like in the comics.

Last edited:
that was done in one of the daredevil novel from the late90s as well

If Bushwacker is in this they should get the guy who plays Reggie Ledoux in true detective

What about Nuke? He isn't getting enough love in this forum.

What about Nuke? He isn't getting enough love in this forum.

Well in the Daredevil title, he was a one shot villain, he showed up later, but not in Daredevil ever again. He would play in a role in a Born Again adaption, but I'm not sure what else you can do with him.

I think it would be cool if Bullseye acknowledged Hawkeye's marksman skills.

For this outing, I think I'd just stick with the greatest hits. Kingpin, Bullseye, Typhoid Mary, Elektra, maybe The Owl as a minor villain and definitely The Gladiator as a more sympathetic villain. I imagine the series will be fairly serialized, so I think it would be a good idea to focus mostly on villains related in some way to Wilson Fisk's criminal empire.

I'm still a firm believer that Stilt Man could be made to work somehow, but this really isn't the place for experimenting with that weirdness.

Last edited:
For this outing, I think I'd just stick with the greatest hits. Kingpin, Bullseye, Typhoid Mary, Elektra, maybe The Owl as a minor villain and definitely The Gladiator as a more sympathetic villain. I imagine the series will be fairly serialized, so I think it would be a good idea to focus mostly on villains related in some way to Wilson Fisk's criminal empire.

Well for a first season, it may be wise to stick with a greatest hits version of DD's rogues gallery, but you can add other villains in later seasons.

Kingpin can get more hired guns later on, like Bullet and perhaps Bushwacker, assuming Bushwacker's powers work well within a TV budget. Mr. Fear could sell his services to Kingpin, with his true goal being revenge on Murdock and not caring about anything else.

I'm still a firm believer that Stilt Man could be made to work somehow, but this really isn't the place for experimenting with that weirdness.

Stilt-Man has two problems:

1. He has never fit in DD's world post Frank Miller, other Silver Age villains like Owl, Purple Man and Mr. Fear were able to transition into a post Miller DD rogues gallery, but Stilt-Man never really lost the status as a joke villain he gained during that run. There is nothing really compelling about Stilt-Man, he has no interesting dynamic with DD and his gimmick is just flat out goofy. Thematically, he seems more like an Iron Man villain then a DD villain and DD nowadays generally has bigger fish to fry than a petty thief like Stilt-Man DD, the rest of DD's rogues gallery are involved in heavier crimes then that. Not to mention DD has humiliated him so many times in battle, even from day one:

http://daredevil.dreamhosters.com/ttstilts.htm

Even when Waid used Stilt-Man, he wrote him as a him only useful as a distraction, rather then anything else. Waid didn't make him more interesting or menacing, just an idiot with a loud gimmick that can distract from other crimes. Really any moron in a loud costume can be a distraction.

2. Stilt-Man is too expensive for a TV series, you would blow your budget on a really unimportant character, that is not a good way to manage a budget.

Last edited:
I hope Stilt-Man is at least referenced, and if he did appear he could be a villain that's beaten quickly at the beginning of the episode.

Well for a first season, it may be wise to stick with a greatest hits version of DD's rogues gallery, but you can add other villains in later seasons.

Kingpin can get more hired guns later on, like Bullet and perhaps Bushwacker, assuming Bushwacker's powers work well within a TV budget. Mr. Fear could sell his services to Kingpin, with his true goal being revenge on Murdock and not caring about anything else.

Bushwacker's power is that he replaced his prosthetic limb with a gun.

How small do you think TV budgets are? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"