• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Which X-Men villain do you think has a better ideological standpoint than Magneto?

Cypocalypse

Civilian
Reaction score
I think the reason why Magneto has endured being the X-Men's only A-list villain is his ideology which is a perfect anti-thesis to Xavier's.

The only villain who got close to Magneto's A-list status is Apocalypse but his persona is more defined by his imposing physiology than his ideological perspective. Sure, he does look a lot more imposing than an old guy wearing a bucket on his head but that's still not enough to dethrone Mags.

I've always wondered whether Marvel can produce a villain that can match Magneto's character depth, or whether they can push a B or C-list villain to Magneto's level.

Right now, with Magneto and Xavier no longer being the key players to the X-books, these books are starting to look like popcorn flicks with modern-day sensibility, but with less literary merits. Sure, we no longer see spandex, we now see larger panels with prettier artwork but I think a lot of things only have superficial value.

I'm starting to look at how Miller changed Batman, or how Bendis changed Daredevil, or how Gaiman introduced a totally new perspective in comic book writing. I think, if the x-books were to mature, without going back to the Xavier-Magneto relationship, they need to introduce something, maybe another social issue, that's different to Magneto's perpective. I mean, he (and Charles) probably represents the socio-political framework of the x-books, but those social undertones (e.g., gay undertones) have been used to death already.

What if, for a change, Marvel disregards the socio-political undertones, and change it to something religious. That's something that Marvel hasn't exploited that much, yet.

They tried that once in God Loves Man Kills but it was just a one-shot that never got tackled again. Sure, Stryker returned but that's just because Marvel is riding on the X2 bandwagon.

I'm thinking that Stryker can provide a more realistic, mature approach (the fact that he isn't a mutant adds to that) to the x-books. Kinda like how Ras Al Gul of Batman Begins added a new breath of life in a Batman film.

The idea of a noir style of writing in an x-book appeals to me.

noir.jpg

Didn't Stryker's ass got whacked in New X-men lately?

Cypocalypse said:
I think, if the x-books were to mature, without going back to the Xavier-Magneto relationship, they need to introduce something, maybe another social issue, that's different to Magneto's perpective. I mean, he (and Charles) probably represents the socio-political framework of the x-books, but those social undertones (e.g., gay undertones) have been used to death already.

What if, for a change, Marvel disregards the socio-political undertones, and change it to something religious. That's something that Marvel hasn't exploited that much, yet.

As far as the religious issue goes, they probably don't want to offend a part of their audiance or single any of them out. Thats why comics usually stay away from religion, so that someone wont be upset or feel left out.

My idea for Xavier and Magneto, and has been for a whole, is that they should do a Origin story for Charles Xavier.

Charles Xavier: Origin, book one would be about him growing up. It would be about his mother, his half brother and bully Cane Marco, and his abusive step father. and maybe book one ends with his powers emerging.

Book two would be about Charles teen years, meeting Magneto. It would go deep into their friendship. Plus it would show them testing the limits of their powers. Maybe in this book Charles would also meet, somehwere down the line, Moira McTaggert.

Book three would be about Charles becoming an adult, maybe getting crippled (or maybe that happens in book two). This book he is planning out his idea for a team of mutants. This book could also show Magneto and Charles part ways on bad terms. The book could end with Charles forming the X-Men.

Charles Xavier Origin would be good because it would explore his character. What made him so sure of his views and so on. It would be a real character study.
and not just of Charles, but of Magneto too. maybe even Cane.
Got the idea, after origin books came out, from the X-Men cartoons.
One episode Charles was talking about magneto and a flashback showed Charles (walking) and magneto using their powers to try and help out in the war.

ObakeTora said:
Flag Smasher

Flag smasher is a weird one. First, that's an awful name. Second, being so hip on other cultures, you'd think this guy would be relaxed and groovy. But no; guy's a terrorist. Damn, huh?

Sebastian Shaw is probably my favorite X-Villain, but like many favorites of mine, I'm reluctant to read new stories involving him for fear that they cheapen the character.

I love the original yellow and black x-uniforms. Love them. They're so retro that it's not even funny.

ObakeTora said:
Flag Smasher

I think he died in Cable and Deadpool.

I agree with those who say that X-Men has lost its thought-provoking adventures. I still find them entertaining, but they could be better. See: X-Factor :). Maybe they could make Stryker's position like DCs Brother Blood which is constantly being inherited. This allows them to play with a lot of different personalities on one character (essentially)

samurai black said:
?????? He was psychotic. and not an X-Men Villian.
Nicely done. The five extra question marks really drive your confusion home. You, sir, have style. :up:

rigel7soldiers said:
Flag smasher is a weird one. First, that's an awful name. Second, being so hip on other cultures, you'd think this guy would be relaxed and groovy. But no; guy's a terrorist. Damn, huh?

Sebastian Shaw is probably my favorite X-Villain, but like many favorites of mine, I'm reluctant to read new stories involving him for fear that they cheapen the character.

I love the original yellow and black x-uniforms. Love them. They're so retro that it's not even funny.

I just like him because of the fact when he was young he got picked on for being so open minded about other cultures. Im sure at one point you could talk to him in a hash bar at Amsterdam, but for me it gets annoying when you bring up other cultures in a group that only wants to talk about sex, fast cars, and the latest American Dad episode. His idea was that he hated the fact you couldnt travel anywhere you wanted to in the free world. Governments were to blame. Before I read his bio I thought he was just a waste of artist ink, but what he preaches is what Ive been feeling all along. Wouldnt it be fun to visit North Korea without worrying about getting shot?

f*** maggy, the Sapiens have it right: kill those muties!!!!!!!

Colossal Spoons said:
Sinister: "Everybody's an experiment"

Deadpool definitely has a better ideological standpoint than Magneto. He's an insane merc for Hell's sake! Though, he's not really an "X-Men villain" exclusively. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"