Iron Man 2 Whiplash - How to make whips seem more powerful than Iron man?

tryp09

Civilian
Reaction score
Any ideas on how they were going to make the whips as primary weaponry an advantage that creates the underdog-hero? Some thoughts:

- an international whip master that they designed unique advanced technology for to compliment his deadly accuracy with destructive force

- breakthrough technology that integrates auto-targetting AI whip attachments that allows any hardened fighter to go toe-to-toe with iron man

- mutant whip powers behind sophisticated armor that makes him much stronger and faster than current mach 3 build

http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03a/whiplash.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Put some electricity in it!

Just make them strong enough to crush Tony's armour. This can also explain the inevitable upgrade Stark'll make about halfway through...

well when you put it like that, it feels so simple :)

but without fleshing out the danger behind fighting this individual, I'm afraid the whips might feel gimmicky.

Whats to flesh out? Mickey Rourkes face brings it's own backstory.
I mean, would you fight him? :hehe:

Whats to flesh out? Mickey Rourkes face brings it's own backstory.
I mean, would you fight him? :hehe:

haha very true! :oldrazz:

I think the interaction between the cocky Tony Stark with the demented Whiplash will be even better than the Batman Joker stuff from TDK.

Is that a real piece of concept art ?

The way to make him seem plausable is to have to whips be able to cut through Tony's armor. Look at the way elevator cables can cut a person in two. That actually does seem pretty scary.

[A];17016278 said:
Is that a real piece of concept art ?

No, it from the new Iron Man cartoon series. Teen Tony aside:cmad:, that show has pretty great looking villains.

Just make them strong enough to crush Tony's armour. This can also explain the inevitable upgrade Stark'll make about halfway through...

I think it'll actually go the other way. Whiplash is very good at being a merc/thug or whatever and is quite effective against most of his victims, but against Iron Man he comes up way short. So he gets an upgrade, Crimson Dynamo style and then it's Iron Man toward the end who's in trouble, even being fully powered for that fight(I don't think they'll have another climactic end fight with Tony in an underpowered armor again). It'll end up being a fight that Tony again needs to win as much with his brain as with his armor's power. Tony's never been much of a ruthless fighter in the comics, he often wins due to his ability to think outside the box and MacGuyver his way to a win. Rhodey as War Machine is the hero who relies on overwhelming force to get the job done, but then he's not a genius like Stark.

No, it from the new Iron Man cartoon series. Teen Tony aside:cmad:, that show has pretty great looking villains.
Honestly, I like the show, but, as I have said, it's not fantastic. Pretty good though. I wish they would have made an animated series with the grown up Tony Stark.

I also like Whiplash's costume in the show!

Honestly, I like the show, but, as I have said, it's not fantastic. Pretty good though. I wish they would have made an animated series with the grown up Tony Stark.

I also like Whiplash's costume in the show!

Oh I agree, there's plenty to enjoy in the show. The villains look awesome for the most part. I just wish they had not tried to "Spider-Man up" Tony Stark. Bruce Timm felt no need to make the Batman TAS about a teenage Bruce Wayne. I just think that it's a flawed mindset that thinks young people can only enjoy shows about young characters. But we're getting off topic.

Just for arguments sake, if this picture was the villian Tony would be going up against in the movie, I would not be very impressed. The auto-targetting gun things he used in the desert to dispatch the bad guys would be enough to take this dude out. They will have to make Whiplash's weaponry match or one-up Tony's from the last movie. The question is... how?

Personally, I think that they will take advantage of the fact they have an A-list actor playing Whiplash and create a character that has the kind of killing ingenuity that makes anyone that is not the most conditioned, skilled, and prepared individual easy prey. Yet, with guns in existance, I can't see them being able to pull it off with the sole use of whips (energy or not).

His whip is able to deflect Iron Man's uber accurate and fast bullets
He also knows Jedi mind trick

That pic is funny because he looks half-like Bane from Batman and then like he wants to be some dungeon-master or domme in some BDSM play. lol

But that suit is more attainable or doable than the original costume. However Rourke still has his hair long, so maybe a mix of the two costumes will come to be. But then reports have been speculating that he'll have an armored suit like the Crimson Dynamo.

I trust Favreau will make everything work but I feel he should've gone onto Mandarin as the sequel's villain, just because the first movie set up the Rings and a bigger terrorist threat controlling that small Al Qaida Ten-Rings group.

Wonder who'd win a battle...Whiplash, Indiana Jones or Simon Belmont?

I'd say Simon Belmont. Indy could never find his gun when he would need it, and Whiplash couldn't stand up to Simon's array of Crosses, Holy Waters, knives, and axes. Well... probably.

In this case, some kind of electro whips would be necessary to even disrupt Shellhead.

Does anyone else think Whiplash is just silly? Is he going to be some combination of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo?

Last edited:
Whiplash foolish? Obviousy you have never recieved a spanking. I can assure you nothing foolish about the ones I caught growing up.

They have already stated that Whiplash's Armour is only like half a suit of armour that way they could show off his tatoos. Sounds gay but i trust in Favreau

I think Crimson Whiplash (which he essentially is in the film) is supposed to be something of an armored Spider-Man. Extremely fast and agile. He would also use electro-magnetic pulses to disrupt Tony's targeting systems or even blind him.

Or a giant magnet :hehe:

The whips could be the same ones used by Captain America's/X-Men's nemesis OMEGA RED. Both are Russian. Justin hammer wouldn't even need to upgrade the technology

In the comics, I believe that the whips themselves were made out of titanium. So there's a start. And the idea of them being electrified as well is a good one.

While I think the whips should obviously be his main weapons, I also think they should give him a few others. If they're using CD elements, perhaps they could give him the ability to fire electrical blasts from his hands.

They have already stated that Whiplash's Armour is only like half a suit of armour that way they could show off his tatoos. Sounds gay but i trust in Favreau

Someone mentioned in the Rourke thread that they may be doing what they do with Downey where Rourke is only wearing some of the suit with the rest of it to be added via CGI. Which would make sense then him wearing only a little armor.

Though it sounds like we'll be getting an answer soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"