World Who drew this pic???

Orko Is King

Avenger
Reaction score
cbg_banner_05_web.jpg

It looks like Alex Ross, but I've never seen it before.

The Gwen Spidey one? Yeah its Ross, he painted it after Sins Past to show his utter disdain for the story and what JMS and Marvel did to the character of Gwen

Ah I love that pic, does anyone have a larger version of it by any chance?

Citizen_Kaine said:
The Gwen Spidey one? Yeah its Ross, he painted it after Sins Past to show his utter disdain for the story and what JMS and Marvel did to the character of Gwen

Hmm, interesting. Is there a bigger pic available?

Hhhhmm... interesting.

I read Ross's disgust for current Spidey stories in Wizard a while ago, but not this.

Could anyone get the interview posted here?

I also noticed how he outright dissed Spidey 2. While I love that film, I couldn't help but wonder if there was something personal about it. I mean, he did do all the art in the title sequence, (which I thought was superb, and I usually am not a fan of his approach to super heroes. I think he's got mad skills, I just don't like a lot of his super heroes.)

But he really insulted the film, but in a strange way. He also went on to mention that Marvel stole one of his Spider-Man designs for an action figure. Seems like he's got some kinda of a grudge when it comes to ANY Spider-Man related work I've noticed. Although, I reckon if he DID do a Spider-Man story, his approach to the charachter, (storywise,) wouold be real good I think

baby_webhead said:
you can just post it like this also.
cover.pl

I really wish he'd do one of those oversized softcover things with Marvel characters.

This is discussed in my essay (link in sig), as is the interview:

In the interview with Ross advertised on the cover of CBG # 1610, he describes what an exciting--and scary--time it is for comics. There's also a sidebar to the article, entitled "Alex Ross on sins past...and present", in which he describes the truth behind his the Spider-Man/Gwen Stacy painting:

"I also did the art for the Upper Deck Employee 'bonus cards,'" Ross told *CBG*. "I've lamented the fact that not enough people are going to see that and know what that represented to me. The Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy art on this card was a *direct* reaction to the recent brutalizing of the Gwen Stacy character [in the 'Sins Past' storyline in *Amazing Spider-Man*.] I wanted to show my support for Spider-Man protecting her memory from the damage that was being done to her.

"I took that in particularly strong offense, so, when the offer came to do a Spider-Man card, I asked if I could do a piece like this. I didn't expect that it was going to shake the world's foundations- but I wanted to throw my statement out there; I just don't like it when people get rude with the characters. It's an unfortunate trend, one of the things that I don't like about comics these days.

While I said it was an exciting time in the comic-book industry, it's actually exciting and *terrifying* at the same time, because it seems like there's no standards for decency. I think decency applies even when you are brutalizing a character that, albeit fictional, is something that existed for decades and is embraced by so many people."

Symbiotica said:
.... I think the hands belong to Bendis :)

[Although crediting him with malice equal to GG's is perhaps assigning him more importance than he deserves. A good case could also be made for those being JMS' hands.]

I think it more likely that they symbolize a trend rather than a person. But if anybody, it would be either JMS or JoeQ, or both, since the statement was specifically about the Sins Past garbage.

Symbiotica said:
.... . A good case could also be made for those being JMS' hands.]

Wanna know something really funny?....I assumed it was JMS's hands until I read your post and went back and noted the hands were purple!!......Probably from my long held belief that JMS has long since usurped Ock and Gobby as Spidey's greatest threat :(.....

...or I could be just stupid...that works too:up:

WhatIfTales said:
Wanna know something really funny?....I assumed it was JMS's hands until I read your post and went back and noted the hands were purple!!......Probably from my long held belief that JMS has long since usurped Ock and Gobby as Spidey's greatest threat :(.....

...or I could be just stupid...that works too:up:

In the context of the painting, the hands are clearly the Goblin's.

HOWEVER, on the metaphorical level, they represent the hands of people like JMS and Quesada and Bendis. It's symbolism, people!

Alex didn't like the characterization of Doc Ock in SM2, which he had a point- Ock wasn't true to his comic roots, and wasn't done right in his opinion. Plus, he's had MAD beef with Marvel since the days of his "Marvels" mini, but i don't know if they've squashed it completely or not. I'd love to see him do a Spidey soft cover like he did for Superman and Batman, but it'll never happen.

Gregatron said:
This is discussed in my essay (link in sig), as is the interview:

In the interview with Ross advertised on the cover of CBG # 1610, he describes what an exciting--and scary--time it is for comics. There's also a sidebar to the article, entitled "Alex Ross on sins past...and present", in which he describes the truth behind his the Spider-Man/Gwen Stacy painting:

"I also did the art for the Upper Deck Employee 'bonus cards,'" Ross told *CBG*. "I've lamented the fact that not enough people are going to see that and know what that represented to me. The Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy art on this card was a *direct* reaction to the recent brutalizing of the Gwen Stacy character [in the 'Sins Past' storyline in *Amazing Spider-Man*.] I wanted to show my support for Spider-Man protecting her memory from the damage that was being done to her.

"I took that in particularly strong offense, so, when the offer came to do a Spider-Man card, I asked if I could do a piece like this. I didn't expect that it was going to shake the world's foundations- but I wanted to throw my statement out there; I just don't like it when people get rude with the characters. It's an unfortunate trend, one of the things that I don't like about comics these days.

While I said it was an exciting time in the comic-book industry, it's actually exciting and *terrifying* at the same time, because it seems like there's no standards for decency. I think decency applies even when you are brutalizing a character that, albeit fictional, is something that existed for decades and is embraced by so many people."

Wow, I just gained a newfound respect for Alex Ross, outside of his lovely paintings.

he says "I just don't like it when people get rude with the characters."

And I can attest, before any prodding, JMS was that word to a 'T',

rude.

Gregatron said:
HOWEVER, on the metaphorical level, they represent the hands of people like JMS and Quesada and Bendis. It's symbolism, people!

Appreciate the condescension....we know it's symbolism dude....my point was that I didn't even notice it was Gobby's hands because in my subconcious I'm guessing, I don't see Gobby the character as menacing a "character" as JMS is a writer.

Seriously fella, you really have a nasty habit of talking down to people....the trait isn't endearing and will more often than not, cause your opinions (which are often times valid) to fall on deaf ears...or at least on ears of those who've tired of the same old "internet chest puffing" that is so rampant on these community boards.

Alex Ross has just gone up in my estimation.

I always knew he was crazy talented as an artist, I just never cared for his take on super heroes. But I actually do like that picture, and I love what the picture stands for.

In the world of Marvel where someone does something truly awful, everyone wil back them up and defend their crappy actions. But I am glad to see a respected creator like Ross show his distain for this, and makes it well known.

Props to Ross. :up:

WhatIfTales said:
Appreciate the condescension....we know it's symbolism dude....my point was that I didn't even notice it was Gobby's hands because in my subconcious I'm guessing, I don't see Gobby the character as menacing a "character" as JMS is a writer.

Seriously fella, you really have a nasty habit of talking down to people....the trait isn't endearing and will more often than not, cause your opinions (which are often times valid) to fall on deaf ears...or at least on ears of those who've tired of the same old "internet chest puffing" that is so rampant on these community boards.

I do not condescend. I merely state facts. If you feel persecuted when reading a calmly-written, logical statement, you may wish to re-evaluate your perception skills.

Alex...you just rock, man. Talent and respect for history. Class act.

Gregatron said:
persecuted when reading a calmly-written, logical statement, you may wish to re-evaluate your perception skills.

I'll get right on that :up:

I can't understand Alex Ross's appeal. His Spider-Man drawings range from the look of Spidey from the Electric Company to just plain awefull.

Romita, Mcfarlane have got the skills not Ross.

...and I still give the love to Ditko.

Doc Destruction said:
Alex...you just rock, man. Talent and respect for history. Class act.
The man is anything but a class act. Have ever actually read one of his interviews? The man is such a whiny fanboy, he'd make John Byrne blush. Ross is the definition of a prick.:down

He's MY KIND of prick. I have agreed with absolutely everything the man has ever said. He is dead on accurate with the state of comics these days.

His love for the silver age and his AMAZING art skills are second to none, and I respect the hell out of him for that.

jaydawg said:
The man is anything but a class act. Have ever actually read one of his interviews? The man is such a whiny fanboy, he'd make John Byrne blush. Ross is the definition of a prick.:down

Read some of his interviews about non comic related stuff. You'll be scared. The guy is a complete fool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"