Who should challenge Trump in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until yesterday I would have discounted that. But 2020 might be a game changer. We're going to start seeing more Republicans break ranks. This could get a lot more toxic.

I just want to see a primary challenge against a sitting President.

Kasich (one of the only incombents who didn't endorse him) or Cruz (just egotistical enough) could be confident enough to do it.

Personally, I am looking forward to how Cruz does in his re-election.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I was thinking about Joe Biden the other day. I've said all along that he could have beaten Trump and would likely beat him in 2020 if he opted to run as I've heard he might. Now I'm not so sure... at least not if the current harassment allegation craze continues (for lack of better wording). I'm not saying that Biden's ever done anything, but his touchy-feelyness with children will most likely be focused on in political attacks by the right. And as we saw with Roy Moore, the idea of pedophilia (no matter if there is proof or not) will be highly frowned upon on by voters even moreso than other sexual harassment claims such as those brought against Tump.

The GOP has probably already started digging up dirt on anyone they even suspect will be running.

Well, one side has less people to look at than the other...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I was thinking about Joe Biden the other day. I've said all along that he could have beaten Trump and would likely beat him in 2020 if he opted to run as I've heard he might. Now I'm not so sure... at least not if the current harassment allegation craze continues (for lack of better wording). I'm not saying that Biden's ever done anything, but his touchy-feelyness with children will most likely be focused on in political attacks by the right. And as we saw with Roy Moore, the idea of pedophilia (no matter if there is proof or not) will be highly frowned upon on by voters even moreso than other sexual harassment claims such as those brought against Tump.

Except of course for all the people like mall security and those that worked with him that knewof his taste for teens and his own words talking about as a grown man asking for permission to date teens from their parents... Yeah, there was nothing at all to the allegations against Moore.

Except of course for all the people like mall security and those that worked with him that knewof his taste for teens and his own words talking about as a grown man asking for permission to date teens from their parents... Yeah, there was nothing at all to the allegations against Moore.

There was, but more importantly... the point of the post. There are quite a few videos of Biden being creepy and uncomfortably close with children. A lot of people would see that and decide on that alone. Guilty until proven innocent in the mind of public opinion as it goes these days. I think that could really damage any run he makes.

I do think Biden would probably have the best chance of taking Trump down, if he were to run. Yeah, he's gaffe-prone (compared to the Orange One, though? :p ) and he's old. Trump and Hillary and Bernie were all old too.

You do need someone who's going to claw some of those midwest blue-collar Democrat voters back to the Democrats, though. And you don't do that with a Warren or whoever.

Harris might have a shot, I guess Booker's not all that much further left than Obama/Biden. He's a reasonable choice.

But yeah, this sense that "we need to go harder left this time" is pretty likely just going to get a Trump: Round 2 situation. The Bernie fans make up, what, 20-30% of the electorate on their best day, the rest of the country thinks they're nuts. You've gotta go with a reasonable centrist, and someone who that Obama coalition is going to get behind. Hillary-style, only a good person.

I do think Biden would probably have the best chance of taking Trump down, if he were to run. Yeah, he's gaffe-prone (compared to the Orange One, though? :p ) and he's old. Trump and Hillary and Bernie were all old too.

You do need someone who's going to claw some of those midwest blue-collar Democrat voters back to the Democrats, though. And you don't do that with a Warren or whoever.

Harris might have a shot, I guess Booker's not all that much further left than Obama/Biden. He's a reasonable choice.

But yeah, this sense that "we need to go harder left this time" is pretty likely just going to get a Trump: Round 2 situation. The Bernie fans make up, what, 20-30% of the electorate on their best day, the rest of the country thinks they're nuts. You've gotta go with a reasonable centrist, and someone who that Obama coalition is going to get behind. Hillary-style, only a good person.

reasonable centrists blow it all the time, in part because many of them get behind tax proposals like the latest one. we'll see what happens. I have little faith in the DNC.

But yeah, this sense that "we need to go harder left this time" is pretty likely just going to get a Trump: Round 2 situation. The Bernie fans make up, what, 20-30% of the electorate on their best day, the rest of the country thinks they're nuts.
If this is true shouldn't bernie be one of the least popular politicians in the country? instead he's the most popular month after month, poll after poll
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...nders-countrys-most-popular-active-politician
http://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders-most-popular-politician-655315
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...popular-politician-in-america-poll-says-vgtrn
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...itician-poll-trump-favorability-a7913306.html

You've gotta go with a reasonable centrist, and someone who that Obama coalition is going to get behind. Hillary-style, only a good person.
Obama didn't campaign as a centrist: neoliberal, revolving door backing, nafta backing, tpp pushing regime changer he campaigned as the opposite and I think it is ridiculous to look at his historic victory and determine that people who voted him in were really looking for a "centrist" who would expanded the drone program and engage in multiple regime change operations during his tenure(all catastrophes) if that's what his coalition wanted Hillary would have:
-won the 08 primary through pledged delegates alone given her name recognition advantage and won the 2016 primary which was designed from the jump to coronate her with more than just 57% of the vote

-never, ever lost the blue wall/rust belt to trump

After Obama and to much greater extent Trump, I hope people realize that center left neocons are more reasonable and light years ahead of the far right and the anarcho-capitalist.

If you're progressive and still think Hillary would be anywhere as bad as Trump, then you drank some Russian kool aid, should remove yourself from the political arena and are partially responsible for everything Trump and his cohorts have done and plan to do.

After Obama and to much greater extent Trump, I hope people realize that center left neocons are more reasonable and light years ahead of the far right and the anarcho-capitalist.

If you're progressive and still think Hillary would be anywhere as bad as Trump, then you drank some Russian kool aid, should remove yourself from the political arena and are partially responsible for everything Trump and his cohorts have done and plan to do.
I don't think Hillary would be as bad as Trump Domestically; better but not great nominees in most places: SCOTUS, EPA, Education, DOE, etc but probably not positions that regulate Big Finance. The program focused on White Supremacy Terrorists would still be ongoing, the focus on "Black Identity Extremists" would not have happened etc

BUT

We would cede some local sovereignty to multi-nation corps via TPP and instead of winding down our funding and arming of rebels in Syria we would escalate our role there in support of her more "muscular" foreign policy agenda

Given that Venezuela and Iran have both recently dumped the petro dollar(See Iraq, and Libya) and since then there has been a trickle of negative articles focusing on them and intimating bad acts between them involving Hezbollah in South America and I got to say I don't like the chances that we avoid attempting to regime change one or both of them during this parochial administration never mind a hegemonic Hillary Admin!

I seriously doubt this will be an issue for Biden. I've said all along that Trump would have had no chance against Biden. Joe has built up a lot of trust among working class families and those key voters that turned the election would have moved strongly to his corner.

There was, but more importantly... the point of the post. There are quite a few videos of Biden being creepy and uncomfortably close with children. A lot of people would see that and decide on that alone. Guilty until proven innocent in the mind of public opinion as it goes these days. I think that could really damage any run he makes.

I seriously doubt this will be an issue for Biden. I've said all along that Trump would have had no chance against Biden. Joe has built up a lot of trust among working class families and those key voters that turned the election would have moved strongly to his corner.
it will definitely be a problem for Biden, but between Biden and Trump it will be a fire fight and Biden will have more potent ammo

However Biden's support for TPP, Nafta and a bunch of other trade deals during the Clinton years will likely cost him the rust belt just like it did with Hillary especially since Trump upheld his promise to kill TPP (Like hillary, biden will need the entire "blue wall" to win)

I think Biden could mange 80,000 extra votes across the Rust belt.

Hillary and Biden are like night and day to people in those areas.

With the things I've heard in recent weeks...Biden would be a mistake.

With the things I've heard in recent weeks...Biden would be a mistake.

Too bad.

I think Biden would've been a decent president and light years beyond Trump.

It's still incredibly stupid that a footnote scandal will end a Democrat but a phonebook of scandals won't even slow Trump down.

Having integrity isn't an easy path to power and it should be.

Too bad.

I think Biden would've been a decent president and light years beyond Trump.

It's still incredibly stupid that a footnote scandal will end a Democrat but a phonebook of scandals won't even slow Trump down.

Having integrity isn't an easy path to power and it should be.

From what I've been hearing, quite a few former DC staffers have Me Too moments related to Biden. Nothing overtly creepy or that borders on sexual assault (like the President). Just an old man getting handsy. But it'll be enough to sink him. He ought to stay out.

But you're right...its amazing that a grab of an ass can sink just about any politician. But Donald Trump can brag about committing sexual assault and he gets a pass.

Not sure why you feel that way, I'm convince he would lose worse than clinton given his trade deal history and the fact that Trump killed TPP which could be revived by any future administration

I don't see how, besides He would need to win all the rust belt states to get to 270 EC votes i'm no expert but it seems his history would make it difficult

Last edited:
Not sure why you feel that way, I'm convince he would lose worse than clinton given his trade deal history and the fact that Trump killed TPP which could be revived by any future administration

I don't see how, besides He would need to win all the rust belt states to get to 270 EC votes i'm no expert but it seems his history would make it

Voters don't vote based on issues. They vote based on values. Biden could say "I completely support TPP" and if he connects based on values, a person who lost their job due to TPP would vote for him.

Trump didn't beat Clinton because Americans objected to her policies. That is contrary to the fact that Americans overwhelmingly approved of President Obama during his last year, yet the woman who would be a continuation of his policies lost. Why? Because she didn't connect on any emotional, value based level. Trump did: fear.

Matt nailed it.

Obama had 55% approval on his final months. He would easily win a third term if he were allowed.

Hillary Clinton pretty much had identical policies yet the same people who would vote for Obama would amputate a foot before voting for Hillary. The Republicans spent decades pushing the idea that she was the worst of the establishment and middle America bought into it hook, line and sinker.

The irony is Trump is the worst part of the establishment but he was sold as the cure, not the disease. It's kind of scary how lies and truths can be spun in any direction and any extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"