Sequels Who should be the villain(s) in the New Mutants movie?

Super Jim

Sidekick
Reaction score
So let's analyze the likely/possible villains, based on the comics...

#1-3 were about the Brood, which we haven't seen yet, though the whole alien parasite thing would be a bit too scifi IMO.

#5-6 were about the Silver Samurai and Viper. The Wolverine took them, so no go there.

#7 was about the Hellfire Club. They were used in First Class, so likely not going to happen.

#8-10 is about Nova Roma. This one's a possibility as it uses Selene and has the New Mutants fighting in an arena...

#14 is about Magik (and the New Mutants) battling S'ym. Although it's kind of the start of her next level of powers, it's really a short story, but elements could be used.

#15- 17 is about the New Mutants battling the White Queen and the Massachusetts Academy. This would have been perfect, but Singer and Kinberg have ruined the White Queen by killing her. Personally, I want to see the White Queen again running the Hellions, so they should do a Professor X, where Emma put her mind (prior to being killed) on the Astral Plane so she could take over the body of someone else. Not ideal, but it would bring back the White Queen so we could get the Hellions.

#18-20 is about the Demon Bear, but that is too specific to just Dani.

#21 is the introduction of Warlock.

#23-25 is about Cloak and Dagger. I don't believe that Cloak and Dagger would be usable by Fox, though they would make for a great TV series...

#26-28 is about Legion. If they are going to use him in a different show/story then it won't work here.

# 29-34 is a whole story thing about Amuhl Faruk taking over Karma and more gladiator stuff. Just not so sure the whole astral plane thing will work well here.

At this point they would have also had some dealings with the Beyonder (who is not usable) and Asgard, where Dani has become a Valkrie, but again, not usable due to Thor and Avengers.

There's more Watcher, Hellions and Legion stuff.

Magneto becomes Headmaster (which could be interesting)...

#46-47 is about the Magus (no, not that Magus). It's effectively a techno-organic bully who is Warlock's (no, not that Warlock) father. (I just realized that the New Mutants Warlock and Magus are identical name wise to the Adam Warlock/Magus...

The New Mutants then go to space for a while and meet up with the Starjammers (which I believe would be better introduced in X-Men) and Lilandra (again, better for that to be the X-Men).

We get Birdbrain as a character (don't get me started)...

Bird-Brain leads to the Ani-Mator, which is a really lame Sinister, who creates half animal/half human creatures. This does lead to Cameron Hodge though...

Cypher dies during the Ani-Mater story, but

There's this whole story that starts back up in space, includes more of Lila Cheney, and ends with S'ym (infected with the transmode virus) escaping Limbo to try to take over the world.

In #74-75 the New Mutants "fired" Magneto as their Headmaster, while there was more Hellfire Club stuff.

#76-86 was more Asgard (and Hel) and Brotherhood stuff.

#86 introduced the Mutant Liberation Front, and soon after we meet Cable and Stryfe.

#95 gets us into the whole X-Tinction Agenda storyline. Warlock does die in this episode. This gives us more of Cameron Hodge, and introduces Genosha. This one is a crossover with the X-Men team.

#98 introduces Gideon, Deadpool and Domino (though really, it was Copycat).

#99 introduces Shatterstar and Feral, and Warpath joins with the motivation of revenege against the Hellfire Club and Emma Frost.

#100 was the final issue and the start of the transformed team as X-Force.

So, what does this summary give us? Well, from this it seems we are limited in viable villains. Let's break them down...

1. The Brood: It's the whole alien symbiote thing. Not so sure this would be the best option.

2. The Hellfire Club: It would have to be a different line-up due to the whole First CLass thing. No Shaw and (thanks a lot Kinberg and Singer) no Emma Frost. Already used, so I think there's better options.

3. Selene and Nova Roma: Although I definitely think Selene is a strong candidate for a villain, I'm not so sure the whole Roman theme of Nova Roma would work.

4. The White Queen and the Hellions: This would have been perfect if Singer and Kinberg hadn't ruined the White Queen, but, I have a way to fix this...

5. The Demon Bear: Too specific to Dani. Don't think this is the best option.

6. S'ym and the whole Limbo thing: Although I want to see this is the New Mutants, it's very specific to Magik, so I'd prefer this as a second movie story.

7. Magus (with Warlock): This would be a great story for a New Mutants movie, though the CG would be crazy.

8. The Mutant Liberation Front: Perfect villain group, though I would save this for X-Force, especially as it applies directly to Cable (with Stryfe).

9. Cameron Hodge and Genosha: Again, great storyline, even if it's a crossover, but this would likely be better down the road.

So, here is what I would like to see...

In their first movie, since it will require the formation of the team, have the Hellions as the main adversaries. But who would lead them? Well, that would be Selene! Yes, that's a major change from the comics, but Selene could take the White Queen's place due to where we are in the X-Men movieverse...

After the Hellions/Selene it seems like the whole Limbo story would work and then we could head towards Genosha (and maybe a crossover?).

latest

That would be three viable New Mutants movies that would get us to the formation of X-Force where we'd get the Mutant Liberation Force and Stryfe!

Is anyone interested in this New Mutants movie and who the antagonists might be?

It was a multi-vote poll, so I picked a couple.

Selene with the Hellions (I actually didn't see Selene solo or else I would have picked that).
S'ym
Demon Bear
Shadow King

I don't want MLF or Stryfe. Save them for an X-Force movie (particularly Stryfe).

I think they should do a combination of the "Demon Bear Saga" and Illyana's Limbo backstory! Yes, this would be totally bonkers to do but I think the X-Men universe needs some new excitement that differentiates the spin-off movies from the group movies and Singer's established universe. Introducing dark magic into the universe through Illyana would excite me personally the most. The new Netflicks series STRANGER THINGS actually did exactly what I would have done with the New Mutants movie. Illyana's mutant teleportation powers open inter-dimensional rifts into a demon dimension. While Illyana is getting slowly corrupted by this dimension, the other New Mutants fight demons and try to save her soul (something like this).

---

I think Emma Frost and the Hellions would be too many characters for the first movie. They have to introduce Magik, Cannonball, Sunspot, Wolfsbane and Mirage in this movie first. Using villains who are tied to the backstories of these characters will make things easier and clearer in my eyes. Dani as the leader was the main character of the series and I hope Boone will use her as the focal point and does the character justice!

But I also think that Emma Frost and the Hellions would be the most likely, save choice from Claremont's New Mutants run. It will be super easy to reveal why Frost is still alive with her particular powerset. Cast an actress in her 40s and give her a line with Xavier like "I thought you died? "No, I worked in the shadows for some years to re-create the Hellfire Club. blabla"

---

Doing the "Legion" storyline would be a very brave. It could also work perfectly after "X-Men: Apocalpyse" if they would simply reveal Moira be David's mother instead of Gabriel Haller. Protheus and David are very similar characters in a way and the Ultimate Universe also merged both characters.

I love how the story takes mainly place on the astral plane in Legion's mind (the visual possibilties would be limitless!) and how the muslim terrorist becomes the hero of the story who tries to heal David's mind. I am a little bit divided if the current racist, ignorant climate towards muslims really needs more depictions of a muslim terrorist in mainstream media but at least this character would be revealed to be a hero!

---

I love Selene. She is one of my favorite X-Men villains. but I really do not care for her NOVA ROMA backstory...

Last edited:
Is anyone interested in this New Mutants movie and who the antagonists might be?

I'm not. I'm more interested to see how will they save or fix the core X-Men team.

Also, the timing of making this film is quite off. If they are really trying to box the 'X-Men' in the past... then why the hell do they need to introduce another set of young mutants when the younger version of Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Nightcrawler have yet to appear in their 2nd movie? Then in the future period, its Deadpool and Wolverine at the moment.

As of now, none of the upcoming films so far have suggested that one of them would lead to this New Mutants movie. X-Men: Apocalypse didn't even tease this. So if they release this in 2017 or 2018, it would come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
As of now, none of the upcoming films so far have suggested that one of them would lead to this New Mutants movie. X-Men: Apocalypse didn't even tease this. So if they release this in 2017 or 2018, it would come out of nowhere.

Why would there need to be something to tease or lead into it? new mutants is likely to be its own thing about these new mutant characters joining the school that is already a thing

Last edited:
In relation to the above, I have to say that I did have a problem with so many students (many of which appeared to be around the same age as Jean) already living at the mansion. Now if some of them happened to be obviously a few years younger, say 10 years old or so, then I wouldn't have had so much of an issue. IF they had gone that way then they could have implied/shown that some of these younger students were ones that would become members of the New Mutants.

But no, once again all they appeared to do was to throw a bunch of other students into the mansion as fillers.

The Apocalypse movie should not have had other students living there, just the real "first class" of Jean, Scott, etc. Just one more issue with that movie...

Does the New Mutants movie (characters) require a lead in? No, but it could have been done by having a small handful of younger students at the mansion who would obviously end up being members of the New Mutants. Again, missed opportunity by Singer and Kinberg.

Filling out the mansion with potential characters that they'll use in the future will just lead to situations like in the OT where we have background cameos of big name comic book characters with multiple actors portraying them. Wait until they're absolutely ready to introduce them, especially since plans can change here and there for this franchise. Casting a random actor to be Illyana or Rahne or Sam or Bobby etc. could come and bite them in the future.

New Mutants for all we know could just be another team in training and gloss the whole "younger than X-Men" part. Or they can say just flat out say that the characters are younger. Even going by real time they're going to have 2-3 years between Apocalypse, by which time it's reasonable to believe that the X-Men are out of high school. New Mutants could also be used as a film to mitigate the time jumps too.

Personally like Demon Bear as the enemy. It's a unique, inherently supernatural villain that it'll differentiate from evil wizards and dark elves and of the sort. I think the story will lend itself to truly horrifying visuals (as opposed to trippy like Doctor Strange) and it'll give Dani some focus. The X-Men need another woman of color, and will help balance what could be the Magik/Maisie Williams show. Throwing in Illyana's complicated backstory will probably be fine too. There's also no need to be concerned with making a strong villain as much as making the Demon Bear truly scary, might free up some time to develop our heroes in a more balanced manner as well (which this franchise has lacked a bit)

Personally i don't think the core of new mutants will be about training a team, it will be about these new mutants

They should make David as Moira's son. Much better. If they go to space, please don't bring Lilandra with Charles, I hate their relationship. Better with Moira.

Belasco, S'ym and them have to be villains for New Mutant's 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"