Why Can't DC Get it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spidey-Quad

Civilian
Reaction score
Losers, Jon Hex, that's just this year. What is so hard about making a great Superman movie? It's 2010! I hope Green Lantern kicks butt so they (Warner Bro) gain some confidence in the source material. I know I could come up with a good Superman movie ... they made Avatar for like $400, I think.

Keep his Blue uni exact as comic and give him a real foe, lose that looser Luther. Then ACTION, ACTION, ACTION. Drop Lois, make the treat world wide and progressive.

Dark Knight was good, but I enjoyed Batman Begin's more. I needed to know what made this Joker so unbeatable.

Love the Green Arrow ideas about the prison. Make it already.

I think WB is over analysing. Pay the writers that understand the characters to start writing. Superrvise the Producer & Director, is it that hard?

How would you turn things around?

I think its because DC doesnt have a plan... Marvel does and is interlinking their movies. Risky?...yes...cool? Eff yeah. WB never had to deal with several different studios...they always had all the characters. They have all their eggs wrapped up in Batman...you'd think that after the success of the MCU they'd start going ahead on the DCU...all we know about is Bat3..Green Lantern and Superman...and Superman is being reboot in a separate universe alone from other heroes

With the Nolans, Goyer, & Co. now signed on the new Superman reboot, Green Lantern now in production, and more news on other dc film projects definitely coming within the next couple/few months... this thread feels very irrelevant.

With the Nolans, Goyer, & Co. now signed on the new Superman reboot, Green Lantern now in production, and more news on other dc film projects definitely coming within the next couple/few months... this thread feels very irrelevant.

Agreed. And just what is so wrong with them doing The Losers and Jonah Hex? It's called being diverse.

You both are either "touched' or in denial. Bat3 is destine to disappoint based solely on the DK success, and the curse of the "turd one".

I'll give Nolan the benifit of the doubt on Superman but I already don't like de-powering him. Also Nolan is probably out after Supes.
A shameful waste is what I've seen, and the tunnel vision of one person. Joel Schumacher.

Finally you both fail for not answering the thread rather then getting defensive. You have no original opinions? WB hasn't, but Hollywood has always been a copied success.

I'm saying I could do better and make a profit. Most comic readers could. That's the real point.

And Sawyer,

it's not that there is anything wrong with The Losers or J Hex as subject matter. It's not doing them right. Granted, I'm basing Hex's failure on advanced reports. Still time for a fix "IF" they listen (I heard it is bad though, Wild West bad). After all these properties are already fan tested. Just do them right.

Last edited:
well lets look at Marvel VS D.C. 2010 so far:

Marvel: Kick Ass - Iron Man 2

D.C.: The Losers - Jonah Hex

hmmmm, can you disagree with the thread starter? I really can't, as so far I've seen Kick Ass (3 times and it kicked f'ng ass btw) and am extremely hyped and will be seeing (probably multiple times as well) Iron Man 2

I'm only moderately hyped for Jonah Hex and have absolute 0, Zip, Zilch interest in The Losers. As far as the Superman movies, there has yet to be a GREAT one made, the first two (Richard Donner) were good for their time and will always be classics, I even enjoyed the third for what it was and Returns for it's SFX value (it pretty much gave us what the first film couldn't, eye candy). But beyond Batman, D.C. hasn't really had that great of a track record and isn't showing signs of improvement this year either as I'm already 50/50 on the casting of Reynold's as Hal for the Green Lantern film.......here's to hoping they prove me wrong though

although I will give them this, I thoroughly enjoyed V for Vendetta, Constantine, and Watchmen. So I'm inclined to give the company a free pass with Losers and Hex but they need to get their heads out there asses when it comes to Superman. They NEED to get it right this time, no if, ands, or buts

Last edited:
I think its because DC doesnt have a plan... Marvel does and is interlinking their movies. Risky?...yes...cool? Eff yeah. WB never had to deal with several different studios...they always had all the characters. They have all their eggs wrapped up in Batman...you'd think that after the success of the MCU they'd start going ahead on the DCU...all we know about is Bat3..Green Lantern and Superman...and Superman is being reboot in a separate universe alone from other heroes

This is ironic considering one of the main complaints I've read about Iron Man II is that the movie is so concerned with setting up for the Avengers film that it brings the rest of the film down. I don't care how much fanboys clamor for it, interconnected universes wont work, and I personally have no interest having some lame subplot forced into Batman 3 to set up a Justice League film. That being said, Batman 3, Green Lantern, and Superman are all shaping up to be great films and it looks like WB may finally do something with the Flash, and Green Arrow. If this thread was created a year ago I could understand the point of the original post, but now this thread just seems irrelevant.

Last edited:
although I will give them this, I thoroughly enjoyed V for Vendetta, Constantine, and Watchmen. So I'm inclined to give the company a free pass with Losers and Hex but they need to get their heads out there asses when it comes to Superman. They NEED to get it right this time, no if, ands, or buts

Good points, I thought all three of those movies were good to great. I honestly forgot they were DC/Warner products. Graphic Novels seem to lend themselves better to film probably because they tend to be straight forward in their tale.
I've watched all three of them in the past two months!

Losers, Jon Hex, that's just this year. What is so hard about making a great Superman movie? It's 2010! I hope Green Lantern kicks butt so they (Warner Bro) gain some confidence in the source material. I know I could come up with a good Superman movie ... they made Avatar for like $400, I think.

They can't get it right because they don't know what to do with their characters.

at times in the last few yrs i agree it blows wb/dc comics cant get their butts together and get more dc films out there. For me some of their films this past decade have been ok that i have seen and others not so good. Now they have a great batman series going and i hope the 3rd one does great. As for gl its shaping up to be a good film i hope. As for superman hopefully this time it will actually happen and be good.

As for the losers, and hex i havent seen losers yet but it looks to be a decent action flick. as for hex i hope the film will turn out good. As for future dc heroes film. All i hope for is they treat each character seriously and faithful to the comics. I hope things are moving to better places.

You both are either "touched' or in denial. Bat3 is destine to disappoint based solely on the DK success, and the curse of the "turd one".

I'll give Nolan the benifit of the doubt on Superman but I already don't like de-powering him. Also Nolan is probably out after Supes.
A shameful waste is what I've seen, and the tunnel vision of one person. Joel Schumacher.

Finally you both fail for not answering the thread rather then getting defensive. You have no original opinions? WB hasn't, but Hollywood has always been a copied success.

I'm saying I could do better and make a profit. Most comic readers could. That's the real point.

And Sawyer,

it's not that there is anything wrong with The Losers or J Hex as subject matter. It's not doing them right. Granted, I'm basing Hex's failure on advanced reports. Still time for a fix "IF" they listen (I heard it is bad though, Wild West bad). After all these properties are already fan tested. Just do them right.

Lol. "Touched". I was not being defensive in any way shape or form. You're the one acting defensive just because someone doesn't agree with your thread at all. I'm just saying that it's pointless to ***** about something that is being fixed. "Touched" people (or a.k.a. ******S) who can't see what is coming from DC Comics.... well, I guess they start threads like this apparently.

If anything Marvel has been spewing out bad movies after bad movies and just recently got there act together. Both Hulk movies sucked, Ghost Rider was awful, both fantastic 4 movies were horrible, Spiderman 3 was one of the worst movies ever created, every Punisher movie created was terrible, Elektra and Daredevil were a joke, xmen 3 and xmen origins: Wolverine were stupid and i have a hard time believing the next wolverine will be any better. I think they screwed up Iron Man 2 by throwing in all this avenger stuff rather than focusing on the films plot. Its already considered a disappointment to the first one. Seems like Marvel has the tendency to fail to top their first outtings. Spiderman got worse as they went along, so did xmen and it seems like iron man is heading down the same path. I am looking forward to Thor however, Not so much for captain america just cuz i dont have faith in that director.

As far as DC they have always been slow but they are starting to pick up steam and get there act together. GL movie is already moving pretty quickly, they just set a date for Batman 3 and they are moving pretty quickly with Superman since they finally have an idea, a new producer in nolan and writers working on the story. Starman is another comic book they are developing a film for. Geoff John's is writing the Flash script which is awesome.

DC has also makes far better animated movies than marvel so at least they got that going for them

Keep his Blue uni exact as comic and give him a real foe, lose that looser Luther. Then ACTION, ACTION, ACTION. Drop Lois, make the treat world wide and progressive.

Dark Knight was good, but I enjoyed Batman Begin's more. I needed to know what made this Joker so unbeatable.

Love the Green Arrow ideas about the prison. Make it already.

I think WB is over analysing. Pay the writers that understand the characters to start writing. Superrvise the Producer & Director, is it that hard?

How would you turn things around?

With all do respect, this whole thing comes off as another typical fanboy rant.

The fact is, you are simply oversimplifying the process of studios and the production process. There's a lot more to it then to simply hire a writer and shoot.

And you yourself didn't exactly come up with anything original...you can't get any more vague than, "stay with the classic suit, give him a real villain, 'ACTION, ACTION, ACTION'."

The reason TDK was successful was in part that it tried to elevate the source material and be more than what we are traditionally accostomed to in CBM. It tried to blend different genres together and became something just a little bit more than your traditional superhero film. Whereas Batman Begins (a film I also love) is more of a by the books superhero story.

You seem to want your superhero stories to be simple and to the point...although fun, I appreciate it when the filmmakers at least try to give us a little something more.

This is ironic considering one of the main complaints I've read about Iron Man II is that the movie is so concerned with setting up for the Avengers film that it brings the rest of the film down. I don't care how much fanboys clamor for it, interconnected universes wont work, and I personally have no interest having some lame subplot forced into Batman 3 to set up a Justice League film. That being said, Batman 3, Green Lantern, and Superman are all shaping up to be great films and it looks like WB may finally do something with the Flash, and Green Arrow. If this thread was created a year ago I could understand the point of the original post, but now this thread just seems irrelevant.

I cant comment on if the Avengers plot drags down IM2 since I havent seen it. Yeah some people have felt that way but to be honest these were the same people saying it before IM2 came out

Marvel has also progressed further because of so many characters they are trying to get into movies:
Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Captain America, the Avengers,

DC could do the same,
They already have Batman and Superman movies (sure money makers) and are now venturing into Green Lantern. They have the Losers, Jonah Hex, Watchmen.
They should try Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Teen Titans, Hawkman, Captain Marvel, the Justice League, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, The Question...
They have many characters who would fit into the same type of movie as Batman and Superman, maybe don't even worry about fitting them into the same universe as the other movies. Captain Marvel would be a huge success.

I don't know for sure, but it would seem that maybe they are too worried about money and not knowing if these movies would make enough.

IMO Captain Marvel is original enough to be a blockbuster...but the last I heard is they decided not to do it after how poorly SR did

by Comic Con, WB and DC will have their plan set. I hope. I know..it's been
very frustrating because if it's enough to change the tune of the skeptics, then that's awesome.

actually its been in various stages of development the past 2 yrs or so. most recent geoff johns and another writer been working on script last yr.

If anything Marvel has been spewing out bad movies after bad movies and just recently got there act together. Both Hulk movies sucked, Ghost Rider was awful, both fantastic 4 movies were horrible, Spiderman 3 was one of the worst movies ever created, every Punisher movie created was terrible, Elektra and Daredevil were a joke, xmen 3 and xmen origins: Wolverine were stupid and i have a hard time believing the next wolverine will be any better. I think they screwed up Iron Man 2 by throwing in all this avenger stuff rather than focusing on the films plot. Its already considered a disappointment to the first one.

your OPINION of course

and mine: both Hulk movies were solid, all 3 Punisher movies were solid, Daredevil Directors Cut is one of the best superhero films ever made, and Iron Man 2 looks "just as good, if not, BETTER" than Iron Man 1. The "avengers stuff" is what's selling these movies. DC needs to take a hint from marvels playbook and build up a Justice League film in the same vein.

not from the people I've talked to, school mates, friends and family members. Most of them don't care for Robert Downey Jr. (the one buddy I watched Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk with enjoyed TIH better than Iron Man, my cousin flat out hated IM, thought it was too slow and too much talking, he too enjoyed TIH). Couple of classmates I was talking Iron Man 2 with a week ago, first words out of dude's mouth were about how each movie is leading up to The Avengers. When I mentioned how RDJ made Iron Man what it was, and that he's one of my current favorite actors, they just looked at me with a "meh, whatever" look on their faces.

so where I'm at, Robert Downey isn't selling these movies. The "shared universe" and Avengers are what's selling these movies

where I'm at least

Marvel are putting comic fans first with the Avengers stuff. And i say it's about ****ing time.

Comic book movies are 9 times out of 10 adapted to the screen. Marvel are trying to turn the comics into movies... literally.

With each characters solo film playing like the characters comic. Leading up to bigger events, tying into other storylines.

Some people won't like that... but as a comic book fan, i say **** em.

As for the IM 2 reviews and criticisms of the references to Avengers? The only people criticising it are people who didn't like the idea in the first place before even seeing the film.

I've spoke to people who have seen IM2 and the only references to SHIELD and Avengers are Nick Fury talking to Stark about it. Black Widow. Captain America's shield making an appearance and a after credit scene featuring Mjolnir.

Like i said, for a comic book fan, that is nothing other than ****ing awesome. And it's about time the comic book fans got catered to rather than general audiences.

Marvel has a good plan and DC has been slower on that. While Warner Brothers definetly need to get Superman right, I think they are doing quite good with having The Nolan brothers and Goyer involved in that and coming out and saying having it on a list that it should come out around 2012 or 2013. Othervise I think DC is doing just fine, diversity with its films with stuff like Constantine, V For Vendetta, Watchmen and this year with The Losers and Jonah Hex, a hugely popular Batman franchise with two succesfull films out, and a Green Lantern film currently filming.

Besides that two live-action TV-shows, Human Target, and Smallville that has been on the air for nine years. Not to forget tons of animated projects.

There's always things you could do better. It seems like they are focusing to get Superman done correctly. I would also hope for a Wonder Woman film but superhero films with female leads don't seem to be something the studios are interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"