Why do people always think we're in Biblical End Times?

The End

Civilian
Reaction score
[YT]RTMC1eNATtE[/YT]

Seriously, give it a rest. People have been hearing this their whole lives. People have been hearing it since the bible. In fact, according to scripture, there's a case to be made that they thought the end times was going to come within the lifetimes of the people that knew Jesus!

But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God. Luke 9:27

Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation. Matthew 23:36

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/end.html

It's been 2000 ******** years and all this time the end times are supposed to be 'soon' :whatever: :huh:

I've seen so many events interpreted as signs that the end is near. Pretty much anytime trouble kicks up in the Middle East (as the host of TYT points out, this is pretty much constant). Natural disasters are pointed to as signs of the end times (and again, natural disasters are common). Hurricane Katrina in 2005? Surely a sign of the end! And taken very seriously by news outlets, apparently.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/9731623/n...long_road_back/t/apocalypse-now/#.UjBbjNKsiSo

I've seen just about any sort of social change pointed to as a sign of the end times. A quick search on google will turn up nonsense sentences like, 'Along with ordaining Priestesses, the present Apostasy of homosexual clergy is a sure sign of the End Times Church'.

Harold Camping was positive the world would end 2 years ago, basing it on his interpretation of the bible. He was so sure about it, and thousands of people believed him. He hurt quite a lot of people. People quit their jobs and sold their possessions, they were that sure about it.

[YT]wqCnj-Bm18c[/YT]

Here's a fantastic website with detailed timelines on all sorts of end times/doomsday prophecies.

http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

Many people thought the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world in 2012. It's weird when you go on the forums for people that believe this stuff - the people that make excuses (oh, it really meant some sort of spiritual shift), the people that push their failed predictions back, and the people actually disappointed the world didn't end. Yep, disappointed.

Give it a rest already. There's so many ways you can interpret this material, and even if you could find an objective interpretation for when the end is supposed to come either biblical or through some other ancient text, it doesn't mean anything!! Stop wishing for the world to end. It's frightening that so many take it seriously, like the people that buy the rapture ready books, and the Left Behind series.

left-behind-dvd-front-cover.jpg

The politicians that take it seriously, the news organizations that treat it seriously and invite on guests that take it seriously, poisoning the public discourse with superstitious nonsense.

Stop it!

With a username like "The End" this is ironically funny :D

Honestly there will always be a part of some random scripture that hints that TODAY IS THE DAY! and the fear mongers will latch onto it like flies to doo doo butter.

I think its funny to sit back and watch them yell and scream about the end of the world, then it never happens, and see the excuses they come up with.

People are scared of what they don't know, and I think that's why. Personally I'm a Christian but I don't pay attention to that stuff because in the Bible, God makes it pretty clear that no one is going to know when it's going to happen 'til it happens.

I believe it's because most Christians are seeing that the events that have been going on in real life are closely parallel to the Book of Revelations.

They've been saying that for AGES. Literally. I don't think there is a single generation between now and the writings of the bible, in which people did not believe they were in the end times.

Revelation 1 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

The time is at hand. John believed it would happen within his lifetime. Christians always believe 'the time is at hand'. 100 years from now, they'll be saying 'the time is at hand'.

Name me something specific that's a sign that we're closely parallel to the book of revelations.

War in the middle east? Name me a generation in which there has not been war in the middle east.

Natural disasters? Name me a time in which people were not victim to natural disasters.

We're... better, than this. To be perfectly honest with you. We understand so much more about the world and its a pity that people choose to live in the dark and be afraid of it.

In revelation, there will be locusts with human heads, there will be dragons fighting in heaven.

Behold! I come quickly! (Fast forward a couple thousand years).

What did he mean by quick? I mean seriously.

As you say, the End of Times have been Ending pretty much since the Bible was canonized. Still has yet to end and I doubt it will end any time soo- [world ends] :doh:

And in other breaking news superstition/religion use fear to indoctrinate.

Last edited:
People are scared of what they don't know, and I think that's why. Personally I'm a Christian but I don't pay attention to that stuff because in the Bible, God makes it pretty clear that no one is going to know when it's going to happen 'til it happens.

This this and this :up:

I like studying the 30someodd % of the Bible pertaining to prophecy, but there are some who are just paranoid. When it happens it'll happen.

I believe it's because most Christians are seeing that the events that have been going on in real life are closely parallel to the Book of Revelations.

This is true...and this is largely in part to people not putting the proper historical context into play when reading Revelation. (hint, most of it already happened centuries ago) :)

Cause...
oy6.gif

Dr. Peter Venkman's 2nd sign of the apocalypse.

Last edited:
Because we are you heathen you!

Actually...

Do I think some change is going to come soon? Yes. Do I think it is retained the bible? LOL. That is really naive on world religion. But, something is bound to happen - whether it's in my lifetime or not - I don't know... just, hey, humans are a truly fickle bunch lol.

Because it makes them money.

/Endthread

There are two reasons.

First reason is that some people often think the worst thing will happen and the the ultimate worst thing is the end of the world.

Second reason is that people are arrogant and think the world will end in their generation/life time. Some people have big egos and they can't imagine the world will go on long after they are gone.

The humans race is smart and resourceful which is why we have survived for so long and in such varied different environments that we have here on earth.

My favorite part about people who say it is the end of the world is they will always argue to their blue in the face and will quickly change their theory to suit the latest issue. My grandma has been talking about it my whole life, from Y2k (and probably before) to now she's been all over this topic.

I remember how certain my brother was when he said that the world was going to end in 2012 and he actually got mad at me for being skeptical. I really liked the look on his face when 2013 started lol.

Why do people always think we're in Biblical End Times? They always do. Makes them feel special.

Because we are. The Bible was written 2000 years ago. The world will end in another 6000 years. That's just 8000 years, total. That's nothing.

We're going to hearing about the end of time until the end of time.

Lana Del Rey tells me that she will love me till the end of time. So there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"