• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do we have to wait like five months or more for a DVD to come out?

webhead731

I'm a photographer
Reaction score
What takes so long? Can't they just start to make the DVD a little before, or once the movie hits theatres? Or do they have to wait until they see how much money they have earned from the movie?

But sometimes it doesn't make sense. A two month wait would be fine.

:confused:

Some movies have been coming out three months after it hits theaters,but yeah two months for all movies to come out to dvd would be the best thing for everybody.

Or one lol. They shouldn't make us wait so long.

GoldGoblin said:
Some movies have been coming out three months after it hits theaters,but yeah two months for all movies to come out to dvd would be the best thing for everybody.

The whole process of putting a dvd together takes time, so they can't just rush it. Studios probably schedule a certain time frame for when the special features for a dvd have to be completed & then the movie is assigned a release date for when it comes out on dvd. The movies that tend to come out on dvd just a few months after they hit theaters tend to not have very many special features so it is only natural that they would be able to release them much sooner. Movies like Spider-Man come out during the early parts of the summer, but studios release them so late in the year on dvd because they want to capitalize on the christmas buying season & that just sucks when it comes to Spidey, but then we usually get a 2 disc dvd set loaded with special features so it is sometimes worth the wait.

KK was released in theatres on December 14th and came out on DVD in March, only 3 months.

Harry POtter 4 was released on DVD 4 months later its release date. The same was with Narnia.

You people should have been around in the 80's waiting a year for a movie to come out on VHS was common.Spoiled now.

I'll put it in the nicest words I can think of right now: stop being such a baby!!

Wow some of you are so f'ing spoiled.

Back during the world of videos, unless you were a blockbuster you'd have to wait over a year just to purchase a movie. Videos use to come out at rental prices of $100.00 to discourage people from buying them and to keep places like Blockbuster popular. These were like 6 to 8 months after a movie's release.

Then after another 6 to 8 months, they'd lower the rental price to retail at $20.00. Then DVD's started coming out the same time as rental videos which phased them out

Now DVD's are coming out 4 to 5 months after the movie's release and some are you are still b'tching? There are some releases that are still in the movies.

You are making me feel old but I have to say it. Stupid kids.

Erzengel said:

Back during the world of videos, unless you were a blockbuster you'd have to wait over a year just to purchase a movie. Videos use to come out at rental prices of $100.00 to discourage people from buying them and to keep places like Blockbuster popular. These were like 6 to 8 months after a movie's release.

Then after another 6 to 8 months, they'd lower the rental price to retail at $20.00. Then DVD's started coming out the same time as rental videos which phased them out

Now DVD's are coming out 4 to 5 months after the movie's release and some are you are still b'tching? There are some releases that are still in the movies.

word :up:

SPIDER-MAN-ROX said:
The whole process of putting a dvd together takes time, so they can't just rush it. Studios probably schedule a certain time frame for when the special features for a dvd have to be completed & then the movie is assigned a release date for when it comes out on dvd. The movies that tend to come out on dvd just a few months after they hit theaters tend to not have very many special features so it is only natural that they would be able to release them much sooner. Movies like Spider-Man come out during the early parts of the summer, but studios release them so late in the year on dvd because they want to capitalize on the christmas buying season & that just sucks when it comes to Spidey, but then we usually get a 2 disc dvd set loaded with special features so it is sometimes worth the wait.

what he said :up:

Simple reason is they wait until the movie has exhausted all it's box office time. I've seen movies hit the cheap theaters while it's being released on DVD. Tone down the instant gratification a bit.

on this topic, i also wonder why it takes a long time for films to reach terrestrial television. I suppose it's all on the hierachy of urgency...

the quicker the process takes, the more likely people are just going to wait for it to get to their relevant preferred viewing choice.

surely early dvd sales can hurt box office returns? might as well play it safe...

Erzengel said:

the process of making duplicate tapes does take forever in comparison to dvds though. especially considering that copies needed to be dubbed in real time from a master copy.

i remember doing some video tape to tape dubbing recently, took me forever, ugh...

It takes about 13 ( give or take ) weeks for a movie to end it's box office run... the longer it stays on top of the box office list the longer it takes to release it on DVD.

Well, I'm sorry about the VHS times but I wasn't around in the 80's to know. Today it shouldn't take five months. Three months?

Why not totally phase out the whole movie experience and just do DVDs? :rolleyes:

webhead731 said:
Well, I'm sorry about the VHS times but I wasn't around in the 80's to know. Today it shouldn't take five months. Three months?

the problem isn't with the DVDs, the problem is with you. once again: stop being such a baby!

But he wants DVDs now. Now!! Now!! Now!!

*stamps feet*

Hey, calm down Jack Bauer. I'm just wondering why it takes so long. I'm not yelling or putting :( in my posts.

Shuley said:
You people should have been around in the 80's waiting a year for a movie to come out on VHS was common.Spoiled now.
You took the words out of my mouth!......

webhead731 said:
Hey, calm down Jack Bauer. I'm just wondering why it takes so long. I'm not yelling or putting :( in my posts.

yeah, but you're being spoiled. it's pretty much like Erzengel put it: "now, now, now!!"

five months is NOT a long time. we used to wait a lot longer than that.

and it has been explained why it takes this time. they have to produce the DVD, assemble extras, featurettes, commentaries... if you prefer a DVD stripped of extras (taking about 50% of the fun in DVDs) but like 2 months after the movie's released, fine. don't expect a quality product though.

I'm not being spoiled. I just asked a freakin' question. That's not spoiled.

webhead731 said:
I'm not being spoiled. I just asked a freakin' question. That's not spoiled.

the problem with your question was "what takes so long?" when it's actually not long AT ALL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"